Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have You Ever Visited The Deep Web?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I bet you feel warm and safe now that you're back on goold ol' boards.

Lemonparty, all is forgiven!

Just found silk road. Very strange looking at a shopping website with "1g of pure uncut peruvian cocaine" on it. Everything priced in bitcoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have only heard of it now reading this thread. I'm too big of a wuss to download the browser and have a look :o

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

if they ever succeed, everything on the internet which relies on encryption is f*cked, including Tor.

I've no real knowledge in this area but could the encryption methods be improved to combat this?

I think encryption based privacy is a good idea when it comes to protecting yourself but I abhor some of its uses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

There was a time when I would have dismissed this as an unproven conspiracy theory, but Snowden's latest releases actually prove, in writing, that intel services do plant various things in order to try and control public perceptions of various events and parts of the internet. The latest documents show a very chilling attempt at mass mind control - not in the sense of directly f*cking with people's minds in a sci-fi manner, but in the sense of trying to control the public discourse and misrepresent popular opinion using censorship, massive hoards of fake social media accounts to add voices to one side of various debates, etc etc etc.

It now wouldn't surprise me at all if Tor and others, while undoubtedly attracting a fair amount of pedos and criminals on their own, had their ugly parts enhanced artificially in order to scare people away from them.

So it Is like being on Boards? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Chances are if its on the deep web its because the person/people involved do not want to be found. I avoided it, even if I am curious as one slip could lead to clicking on something I shouldnt and the authorities knowing about it. I can watch things that dont have an affect on me but I dont want to find out if something out there can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Just seen the screen shot on the aids forum

HO LEE FUCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I bet you feel warm and safe now that you're back on goold ol' boards.

Im waiting for the mods of AH to go on strike Aer Lingus style. Then we will see how safe he is/feels.

Bloody hell, that reddit page of the most fúcked up stuff on the deep web is mental. One guy posts up screenshots (all text) of message boards where people with HIV go around infecting as many other people as possible.
    Link to the link here, worrying that people like this exist
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1873tw/what_is_the_thing_which_you_came_across_in_the/c8c6qr1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

It's almost impossible - even the NSA are having massive trouble trying to crack it

You can get enough info to identify people if you're running lots of the servers that the TOR network uses (usernames and passwords have been gotten). Surely most of them must be run by the NSA or similar.

"If you actually look in to where these Tor nodes are hosted and how big they are, some of these nodes cost thousands of dollars each month just to host because they're using lots of bandwidth, they're heavy-duty servers and so on. Who would pay for this and be anonymous?"
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Cienciano wrote: »
    Bloody hell, that reddit page of the most fúcked up stuff on the deep web is mental. One guy posts up screenshots (all text) of message boards where people with HIV go around infecting as many other people as possible.
    Link to the link here, worrying that people like this exist
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1873tw/what_is_the_thing_which_you_came_across_in_the/c8c6qr1

Very strange world alright. How many would be trolls though? People probably go on that and try live out a fantasy without actually doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ardinn wrote: »
    Just seen the screen shot on the aids forum

HO LEE FUCK

Yeah, that annoyed me more than I thought it would, still hope it's fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I remember seeing that a while ago, indeed crazy stuff.

The world is full of dark, dark people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i seen ken bigleys head been choped off when i was a teenager. just after it happend.i havent been back to the deep web since. scared me for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

That AIDS infecting thing is some of the sickest sh!t I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Yes I go on tor the odd time. Some ordinary, some mental sh1t on there. I can only recommend you check it out for yourself

That AIDS infecting thing is some of the sickest sh!t I've ever read.

Going around empty houses and empting used condoms in his ass! :eek: sweet mother of jebus.

I wouldn't believe everything I read on it though.

I heard the drugs part on it works pretty well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

face1990 wrote: »
    You can get enough info to identify people if you're running lots of the servers that the TOR network uses (usernames and passwords have been gotten). Surely most of them must be run by the NSA or similar.

"If you actually look in to where these Tor nodes are hosted and how big they are, some of these nodes cost thousands of dollars each month just to host because they're using lots of bandwidth, they're heavy-duty servers and so on. Who would pay for this and be anonymous?"
    link

If you look on torstats.blutmagie.de you find everything from residential connections to VPS and dedicated servers all over the world and there's thousands. Sure a few fistfulls are probably run by the NSA but i doubt even the majority are

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

I see it every week or so, I know people that use it in college regularly. It's really not difficult to get onto, you just need a steady internet connection. I've seen most of it, silkroad, thehiddenwiki, etc etc, it's really not that bad, it's concentrated alright, but not scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Very strange world alright. How many would be trolls though? People probably go on that and try live out a fantasy without actually doing anything.

Tbh I think putting that sort of stuff down to trolls is pretty dangerous in itself. We live in a big world, and some people deal with the hand life has dealt them in different and sometimes shocking ways.

We'd all feel better if we convinced ourselves that such people don't exist or occupy their own small realities, but they do. Look at some of the **** that's common on the 'clear' web.. forums and sites which advocate anorexia, home abortions, suicide and the likes. It's not that big a stretch to assume that people with severe mental problems have carved out their own niches on the parts of the web that remain hidden from most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Yeah, I don't see how people are that shocked by the whole aids thing. Sure there's worse things said on mainstream forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

That's a very respectable name, I'll have you know. I've had worse.

Ill say..... :p. Lads, Id be careful on the deep web/darknet/whatever. Sign out of everything beforehand and delete any caches too. Its easy to pick up something nasty and even easier to happen across stuff that no one here really wants to see:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Tbh I think putting that sort of stuff down to trolls is pretty dangerous in itself. We live in a big world, and some people deal with the hand life has dealt them in different and sometimes shocking ways.

We'd all feel better if we convinced ourselves that such people don't exist or occupy their own small realities, but they do. Look at some of the **** that's common on the 'clear' web.. forums and sites which advocate anorexia, home abortions, suicide and the likes. It's not that big a stretch to assume that people with severe mental problems have carved out their own niches on the parts of the web that remain hidden from most people.

All you need to do really is have a look at the news and see the disgusting and depraved crap people are caught for regularly. With the internet what it is and a part of it unindexed like the dark web then its not just probable its inevitable that those types of people will find a place to gather on it.

Yeah, I don't see how people are that shocked by the whole aids thing. Sure there's worse things said on mainstream forums.

That and trolls are not just a boards thing.

Anyone here could go on the deep web, and create a page that says Miley was gay and was forced to ride Phidelma by RTE producers.

Just because it is on the deep web does not mean it is true.

Going around empty houses and empting used condoms in his ass! :eek: sweet mother of jebus.
    Ah now, we've all done that at some point. Just a normal part of discovering your sexuality :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ah now, we've all done that at some point. Just a normal part of discovering your sexuality :pac:

In your ass though? I though the norm was in your mouth?!*

EDIT:* think I just sank to a new level and I'm going to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A lot of those HIV posts on the forums, like anywhere, are probably a mix of fantasy and reality but it's a very real subculture though, plenty of news stories and documentaries on it. Bug chasers is the name for people who get a thrill out of it.

Hell, there's a even forum on the normal web that's dedicated to everything poo from food recipes to how to "farm" from public toilets and store your goodies with the right tupperware.

One guy gave an account of how he likes to go to his small town's sewage plant and swim in "human butter" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

In your ass though? I though the norm was in your mouth?!*

EDIT:* think I just sank to a new level and I'm going to vomit.
    Stop swallowing.

Stop swallowing.

I just do what you taught me.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    A lot of those HIV posts on the forums, like anywhere, are probably a mix of fantasy and reality but it's a very real subculture though, plenty of news stories and documentaries on it. Bug chasers is the name for people who get a thrill out of it.

Hell, there's a even forum on the normal web that's dedicated to everything poo from food recipes to how to "farm" from public toilets and store your goodies with the right tupperware.

One guy gave an account of how he likes to go to his small town's sewage plant and swim in "human butter" :pac:

What sort of google searches do you be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've no real knowledge in this area but could the encryption methods be improved to combat this?

To a point. Longer keys will combat more efficient computers, but if a new mathematical theorem is discovered which allows easy factoring of large prime numbers without the need for brute force calculations, we're screwed. And the NSA is working very hard on this.
    I think encryption based privacy is a good idea when it comes to protecting yourself but I abhor some of its uses too.

Anything that can be used by political dissidents to protect themselves can also be used by criminals - in my view, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Advertisement