Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 For Free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Not if they paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

milltown wrote: »
    Not if they paid me.

Have you tried out Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell? Its excellent. A better version of Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Have you tried out Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell? Its excellent. A better version of Windows 7.

+1 Windows 8.0 is really stupid but 8.1 is really good. (once you figure out you can right click the Start Icon and you make sure you have the "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop in stead of Start" (Classic Shell) checked.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Maybe I'm wrong then. I've given it the widest of berths since my first encounter with 8.0.

milltown wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong then. I've given it the widest of berths since my first encounter with 8.0.

I was the same, I found the metro interface to be absolutely rank. But I'm now running 8.1 with Classic Shell and its the business. Give it a try, you might be surprised by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

+1

I prefer W8/8/1 with Classic Shell over Windows 7.

People can't seem to look past Metro, to see there's regular Windows underneath. Its really only 2 clicks away. People give up to easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Use Windows 7 in work and have 8.1 at home with classic shell. Both are fine.

People just see the initial Windows 8 screen and flip the lid for some reason.

anncoates wrote: »

Its the reputation of the metro interface. Once people realise there is a way around that, they actually grow to love Windows 8/8.1. Thats why I am spreading the word about Classic Shell as much as I can. People really need to get with the times and get the hell off XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

anncoates wrote: »

I plead guilty as charged.
    It looked like something that was just designed for touch screen.

I am now going to have alook at 8.1 on clasic shell.

problem is that my pc might just run 8.1 but I hardly have enough space or memory to run upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Never will use windows again , Linux all the way .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its the reputation of the metro interface. Once people realise there is a way around that, they actually grow to love Windows 8/8.1. Thats why I am spreading the word about Classic Shell as much as I can. People really need to get with the times and get the hell off XP.
    You don't even need classic shell really, you can set Windows 8.1 to boot straight to the desktop: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kinda need the menu aswell tbh.

Advertisement