Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - How many additional passengers on Leap?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

n97 mini wrote: »
    Been searching, but can't find how many additional passengers I can pay for on my Leap card?

The Dublin Bus Leap Card page doesn't mention it...
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares--Tickets/Leapcard/

I don't think there is any cap other than how much credit you have on the leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, there is no limit. Depends on the amount of credit you have on the card.
    I would regularly get 4 School teachers and 40-50 kids on a school outing, and their fare comes off the 1 leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Been searching, but can't find how many additional passengers I can pay for on my Leap card?

The Dublin Bus Leap Card page doesn't mention it...
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares--Tickets/Leapcard/

I have seen a school teacher and his class all paid for on the leap. So no limit as long as there is enough credit on the card.

Handy when my auntie and cousin were with me from the US, I could use my leap card with them when they got the bus into town with me.

I do it with my friends if we are getting the nitelink home together. They give me a fiver and I pay for them with my leap, saving them the excessive cash fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I have seen a school teacher and his class all paid for on the leap. So no limit as long as there is enough credit on the card.

Handy when my auntie and cousin were with me from the US, I could use my leap card with them when they got the bus into town with me.

I do it with my friends if we are getting the nitelink home together. They give me a fiver and I pay for them with my leap, saving them the excessive cash fare.

Yet another of Leapcards major advantages over London's Oystercard.

However,also another example of a missed marketing opportunity by the NTA.
    They should have been targetting Schools,Colleges and any youth group orientated services with this feature.....instead we STILL see School Groups faffing around with change...queuing up to pay MORE in cash than they could pay if they did a bit of homework.

As a suggestion I would refine the card somewhat to allow the Driver to directly input the total number of "Companions" travelling in the group and deduct that total in one transaction....currently you are required to input individual keystrokes for each person......thereby negating the potential time saving potential of Leap.

I really do believe that those in charge of Leapcard simply do not have enough knowledge of the specifics of Public Transport operation to allow them to really GO! with Leapcard ! :(

PS: BTW Bikeman1....If you were a real businessman,you'd collect the cash amounts from your tipsy mates,get the Leapfare and have the difference available for investment !!!...Thats what Bill Cullen woulda done :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

The multi passenger option only works on bus though - not tram or train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Five Lamps wrote: »
    The multi passenger option only works on bus though - not tram or train?
    Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Yet another of Leapcards major advantages over London's Oystercard.

I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel there as it's half assed as it doesn't work at all on the train or Luas. And worse again when I'm travelling by train from an unstaffed station with my 9 y.o. son I have to buy an adult ticket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel there as it's half assed as it doesn't work at all on the train or Luas. And worse again when I'm travelling by train from an unstaffed station with my 9 y.o. son I have to buy an adult ticket.

It's not a matter of it doesn't work with Train/Luas, it's that it can't with the nature of touch on/off.

You can get him a child's leap card. He won't need a personalised one until he's 12 so you can get it in any Payzone store that provides leap services.

Seems like a fairly simple step to allow Luas and Dart users buy companion tickets with their leap card. Luas ticket machines should be able to print a companion ticket purchased with a leap card it is actually surprising something so simple and straightforward is not available ????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cdebru wrote: »
    Seems like a fairly simple step to allow Luas and Dart users buy companion tickets with their leap card. Luas ticket machines should be able to print a companion ticket purchased with a leap card it is actually surprising something so simple and straightforward is not available ????

Could be that the device is unable to charge for something via smartcard at all. Similar to how the gates at irish rail stations are hardware configured for touch on or touch off, depending on the side of the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If no ticket is available for purchase or if the staff or machines are unable to sell you a ticket then you or your son travels without a ticket and you buy the ticket at your destination. If you can't buy a ticket at your destination then you travel for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭markpb

cdebru wrote: »

At a guess, the reason it wasn't done is because it's not as useful for train/tram customers. They have the option of paying with coins, notes, debit cards and credit cards whereas Dublin Bus passengers can only pay by coins.

Everything comes at a cost, every feature has to be evaluated based on its cost and utility. The cost of this one (changes to the ticket machines, changes to the RPU validators, changes to the platform validators to stop people tagging off if they've brought a ticket, education for customers, etc probably don't outweigh the benefit to a very small number of people who have enough purse balance to pay for multiple tickets, don't have cash, debit card or credit card or are willing to spend the extra time buying a ticket at the machine instead of just tagging on.

markpb wrote: »
    At a guess, the reason it wasn't done is because it's not as useful for train/tram customers. They have the option of paying with coins, notes, debit cards and credit cards whereas Dublin Bus passengers can only pay by coins.

Everything comes at a cost, every feature has to be evaluated based on its cost and utility. The cost of this one (changes to the ticket machines, changes to the RPU validators, changes to the platform validators to stop people tagging off if they've brought a ticket, education for customers, etc probably don't outweigh the benefit to a very small number of people who have enough purse balance to pay for multiple tickets, don't have cash, debit card or credit card or are willing to spend the extra time buying a ticket at the machine instead of just tagging on.

It would only be a normal luas or dart ticket the same as any luas or dart ticket bought with cash, debit or credit.The leap card user could use their card as normal.

The most confusing thing for customers is that the leap card works completely differently everywhere you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well the vast majority of my Lepacard customers find it very useful,once they've been appraised of it,usually by a Busdriver...The NTA appear to have no idea whatever of what to do with Leapcard,let alone publicise the more positive elements...On The Bus,the companion facility is totally positive,try half filling yer glass instead of draining half of whats in it... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nikopole

Leap Card Terms and Conditions

10. Transferability
    10.1 Personalised Leap Cards and Leap Cards with Tickets on them are not transferable.

10.2 Leap Cards which are not personalised and do not contain any Tickets (i.e. Travel Credit only) are transferable for separate journeys but cannot be used by more than one passenger on the same journey (although the travel credit may be used on Dublin Bus services to pay for companion(s); such usage shall result in the issuance of a paper ticket for the paid companion(s); such paper tickets must be retained by the companion(s) as proof of entitlement to travel); the Leap Card used to pay in the first instance shall not form proof of entitlement to travel except for the cardholder.

10.3 These Terms and Conditions in relation to transferability are subject always to each Transport Operator’s Conditions of Carriage.

10.4 Any attempted use of a personalised Leap Card by a person not entitled to use that card may result in the confiscation of the Leap Card and may result in the Leap Card customer being charged the appropriate standard fare in respect of the improper use (as determined by the relevant Transport Operator) and you may not be entitled to receive a refund of any Travel Credit. If your Leap Card is confiscated please refer to the relevant Transport Operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nikopole, what is your point? You dragged up a four year old thread and all you can do is copy and paste from the terms and conditions without an accompanying comment.

Advertisement