Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perceptions about mobile phones

Options
  • 06-02-2014 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Some tool over in After Hours decided.that people with 083/085/089 mobile numbers are just messers and come from particular social class/demographics. Most thought like me, tool, but a significant number thought that he had the right idea.

In business, does it affect the choices you make as to whether you decide to do business with someone if they have a particular mobile phone prefix? I mean, Vodafone and O2 are the "respectable" networks and Three, Meteor/emobile and Tesco should send up red flags if you're going to get involved with someone on these networks.

Does it make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

pajopearl wrote: »
    Some tool over in After Hours decided.that people with 083/085/089 mobile numbers are just messers and come from particular social class/demographics. Most thought like me, tool, but a significant number thought that he had the right idea.

In business, does it affect the choices you make as to whether you decide to do business with someone if they have a particular mobile phone prefix? I mean, Vodafone and O2 are the "respectable" networks and Three, Meteor/emobile and Tesco should send up red flags if you're going to get involved with someone on these networks.

Does it make a difference?

People are happy to drive around with 'Love Lidl' stickers on their cars, frugality is the new black. I believe these days there is no shame in not having an 086/087 number. However, the majority, like myself, elect to keep their old number when they switch to cheaper providers.

But you may be asking the wrong people - those who have had a mobile phone for 10+ years. Ask the people who are getting a phone for the first time - pre teens and teenagers. Do they decide what provider or do their parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Let's face it, the image of the brands we use has an effect on how people perceive us in turn, and mobile phone providers are no exception. When you think about it it doesn't really matter, but brand perception is more pervasive on the subconscious level.

When I decided to switch to Macbook, one of my main reasons was that if two designers are in the running for a project and all other things being equal, if one guy has a Macbook and another has a Dell, the guy with the Macbook will get the job because Apple has got such a stronger design related image.

I don't relish in the superficialities of embellishing yourself with your own consumerism, but there's a reality there in how people will perceive you and you may as well work with it rather than against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

But you may be asking the wrong people - those who have had a mobile phone for 10+ years. Ask the people who are getting a phone for the first time - pre teens and teenagers. Do they decide what provider or do their parents?

A few years back having a landline as well as having a mobile number added an air of legitimacy - safer buy of somebody with a landline.

A lot of teenagers will start with a Tesco or meteor number and in 10 years will still have the same number, so it will make no odds.

Whatever perception is there at the moment will erode over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

If it bothers you, just get an 087 number and at the first opportunity port it over to a cheap network. simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Thats just bizarre thinking! Someones mobile phone prefix really isn't going to determine their social class at all. What about people who are eMobile with 085 are they considered the same as Meteor 085s or are they different? What about when 3 buy O2 does 086 then become the same as 083? Its a poor reflection of the country when people discriminate against a mobile phone prefix.

If anyone wants to discriminate against 085 I am happy to have a speedtest off against them I normally get 40mb+ download and 19mb+ upload.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

What a topic this is.
    I met a guy onetime who told me that he always answered a call from 086/7 255**** numbers because they were all issued back in the 088 analog days and the punter must be a serious one so!

We discriminate/judge/evaluate based on appearance, clothes, accent, cars, residence, body odor,and a bunch of other factors when forming our "first impression" Mobile phone prefix is yet another factor. If that is all you have, it will play a big role!!
    Honest answer for me: Sadly YES!

I guess its possibly quite age dependant as well younger people probably look more kindly on 083/085 than older people who have never used anything but O2 and Vodafone. You know the crazy ones who insist on paying €60 a month for a few hundred minutes and 500mb of data and use a Nokia 6210.

jimmie

we are taking over Facebook, getting smartphones/tablets, taking tablets but we keep our premium brand mobile numbers!! Watch out, there's a grey one about! :-)

Ha ha! Doing it all on an iPad right! You couldn't be having one of those Android thingy majiggys they only cost €100 they can't be any good!

Having worked for 3 and O2 there is certainly a big difference in the two when you are there. At one I had the chance to win holidays to South Africa & Brazil and often won games consoles and got free tickets to events and at the Christmas party they put us for the weekend and had comedians, football skills, a cocktail show and music at the other I had to pay for my own work phone...

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    Ha ha! Doing it all on an iPad right! You couldn't be having one of those Android thingy majiggys they only cost €100 they can't be any good!

But of course Dear Boy! iPad/iPhone(s) Kindle, Apple TV, , Polo Tommy, Gant , Tag Heuer ... the list goes on and on... it is all about the brand. If you have it flaunt it, time is no longer on our side :-(

But of course Dear Boy! iPad/iPhone(s) Kindle, Apple TV, , Polo Tommy, Gant , Tag Heuer ... the list goes on and on... it is all about the brand. If you have it flaunt it, time is no longer on our side :-(

What!! No Barbour jacket?

Tag Heuer? I thought the recession was over and everyone had bought their Rolex back from the pawnshop!

What!! No Barbour jacket?

Tag Heuer? I thought the recession was over and everyone had bought their Rolex back from the pawnshop!

Rolex are jewelery, useless for keeping time. Patek Phillipe for good wear is fine. TAG perfect for every day!

Certainly not! Barbour are for those who only have the one coat!!

Certainly not! Barbour are for those who only have the one coat!!

I wish my Fiancée thought that way she seems to have millions of bloody coats!

Back on topic my Fiancée has an iPhone on 083 and wears a Barbour jacket and owns a business. Typical 083 scummer!

But is she happy?

Perceptions are in the eye of the beholder!!

She is happy with the coat and the phone perhaps not the mobile prefix i'll have to check! Where is the beholder! I always thought it weird how they kept perceptions in their eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

One of my businesses operates from a fixed location but also has a mobile call out service. When we open this one there happened to be a meteor store beside us and I went in and grabed a phone for the business.

After 4 months we switched to o2 and all our phones are now on the o2 network. After 1 month business was not hitting the expected targets and we looked into it to see what was going wrong. After doing some serious research and listening to our customers that were honest enough to tell us that they were very nervous about making a booking with us as we were advertising the 085 number and they had heard it was a number that was used by kids and dodgy people. Within 1 month of switching business was on the increase.

Eventually it wont make any difference what prefix you have but for the forseeable future I will be continuing to display the 086 prefix on all my businesses.

If anything I would think any mobile prefix is going to look bad to me it suggests they don't have a manned office. I don't use a mobile number for advertising at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If anything I would think any mobile prefix is going to look bad to me it suggests they don't have a manned office. I don't use a mobile number for advertising at all.

I'd agree with this moreso than any 'prefix' issue. Interesting how people make assumptions though.

I'd agree with this moreso than any 'prefix' issue. Interesting how people make assumptions though.

It certainly is i'm amazed anyone discriminates based on mobile network! But then I guess that is why certain people never leave a network despite it clearly charging a premium for the privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Back on topic my Fiancée has an iPhone on 083 and wears a Barbour jacket and owns a business. Typical 083 scummer!

Quite a bit of conflict there:). iPhone and Barbour? As PeterD says, must be only one coat because with that profile a Musto or Schoffel or Deerhunter would be more appropriate. If it is a waxed Barbour there are serious issues! (Real class would be ‘The Really Wild Clothing Company’).

TAG = new money/flash/sport; Patek = old money/heritage/understatement; Swatch = two fingers to the world). Fakes = wannabe/aspirational/no money/no taste/less sense.

Nobody can beat a good salesperson in a high-end NYC store at spotting the real money from wannabes. They immediately zone in on two things – footwear and watch. That is one reason why premium watches sell in NYC – cars are a non-event, so your watch says it all.

Who remembers (or bothers to remember) phone numbers anymore? Most mobile numbers are stored so the caller’s name appears.

Who remembers (or bothers to remember) phone numbers anymore? Most mobile numbers are stored so the caller’s name appears.

Yeh exactly all mine are saved as Pete 083, Jeff 087 I keep the numbers in at the start so I know who is poor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

.....all mine are saved as Pete 083, Jeff 087 I keep the numbers in at the start so I know who is poor though.
    Jeeez, that is even worse than a Barbour and an iPhone. That’s so conflicted the pair of you are well-matched!:p:D:D:D

Jeeez, that is even worse than a Barbour and an iPhone. That’s so conflicted the pair of you are well-matched!:p:D:D:D

Are you judging Pete & Jeff on their names? That is so bad! Oh wait yeh I put their mobile phone prefix in too I forgot thats cool then sure we all do that!

Seems some do not realise that you can keep (port) your number and prefix to any network. Over the years I have been with Eircell, eSat, Vodafone, O2 and now eMobile with the same number, well OK the 088 changed to 086 and a 2 was added to the number.

It is clear that when it comes to business, perception is real (so is discrimination). In this case, cheap to sort it, stupid not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Yup, I was of the same opinion. I have an unbelievable deal with my provider, but I have an 089 number. I'm starting up a business and was concerned that my mobile number might put some people off dealing with me given the attitude I came across in the aforementioned thread. Now I know, get a prepay Vodafone/O2 SIM and port it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I'm with 089 too & for the first time in years can actually remember my own phone number - so am not keen on changing it.
    Given what I have read here it's time to plug in the landline again - since I moved here I've never known the number (and so no one ever rings me on it only the BF ).
    So setting up the answering service & using that will add to my credibility huh? :D
    Although arty crafty types are probably expected to be poor and on a bad network (oh and look - I am :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Between builders, yeah the 086 087 2 numbers are the original builders and all the new numbers are the celtic tiger builders. Honestly.

I also think its an age thing my father in his 60s knows a good few of his friends numbers by heart, I have no idea, the phone remembers it.

He even commented one day that the local Polish painter's number was 087 24xxxxx, 'how could he have that number?, he wasn't in business in the country when that number was handed out'

I have 087 but on the Tesco network, I do see 089 as a disposable number.....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Porsche?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Perception is reality.

Advertisement