Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker File format

Options
  • 05-02-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Got a Walker WP3295led recently and am quite happy with it, but it records to a USB stick in a version of the .rec file format which I can not open with VLC, Media Player Lite Streamclip etc. Does anyone know of any way to open,(and convert), these files on a pc,
    Thanks
    Daphil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

daphil wrote: »
    Got a Walker WP3295led recently and am quite happy with it, but it records to a USB stick in a version of the .rec file format which I can not open with VLC, Media Player Lite Streamclip etc. Does anyone know of any way to open,(and convert), these files on a pc,
    Thanks
    Daphil

Can you make a 10+ sec recording available?

Those without Walker boxes could then check the file .....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Sorry unable to open files
    Main Folder created is DVD
    This opens to
    Recs, (ie recordings)
    Recs info
    Storage
    Info

Last 3 folders offer no extra info.

Recs opens to,
    6 files
    All numbers,
    2014010323252401.rec. ifo (.ifo) 4kb
    2014010323252401.rec.meta 72 KB
    2014010323252401.rec_part0 .99Gb
    2014010323252401.rec_part1 .99GB
    2014010323252401.rec_part2 .99GB
    2014010323252401.rec_part3 216MB.
    Have tried all the files that should open .rec files, but to no avail.
    Thanks
    Dave

Record for 10 to 20 secs, locate the file/s and make available .....

Can't do?

No sorry, cant do anything with it.
    Thanks anyway.

Johnboy,
    Just found a similar file online at
    https://app.box.com/s/gbwy0ktaiopv1j1r4z4y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

There is a thread a few posts down about another Walker box that has chunk files. This seems slightly different.

Those REC files. Have you tried renaming one of them .TS and playing them in VLC ?

That does not work either. Not sure why they make it so difficult. All I want to do is put some Saorview programs on a USB stick and play it at the week-end when I head to West Cork. Interestingly, my TV in West Cork is also a Walker, but no good.

Johnboy,
    Just found a similar file online at
    https://app.box.com/s/gbwy0ktaiopv1j1r4z4y

It appears that video file is encrypted .....
    General
    ID : 1101 (0x44D)
    Complete name : 2012101612030201
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 68.8 MiB
    Duration : 2mn 39s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 3 608 Kbps

Video
    ID : 256 (0x100)
    Menu ID : 1101 (0x44D)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Codec ID : 27
    Encryption : Encrypted

Audio
    ID : 257 (0x101)
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Codec ID : 17
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Language : Portuguese
    Encryption : Encrypted

Menu
    ID : 272 (0x110)
    Duration : 2mn 39s
    List : 32 (0x20) () / 256 (0x100) (AVC) / 257 (0x101) (AAC, Portuguese)
    Language : / / Portuguese

Ok thanks, did not spot that,
    Dave

That does not work either. Not sure why they make it so difficult. All I want to do is put some Saorview programs on a USB stick and play it at the week-end when I head to West Cork. Interestingly, my TV in West Cork is also a Walker, but no good.

If you can copy the whole directories maybe the box will play the video correctly from the USB stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

If you can copy the whole directories maybe the box will play the video correctly from the USB stick?

I had a similar problem with the Walker combo box. Tried everything suggested by posters but no luck. Wrote to Walker today asking them to confirm the encryption issue and to see if there is a way around it.

It appears that video file is encrypted .....

And the audio. I thought it was an Irish terrestrial recording when I saw the Walker name, but its actually a recording of TVI HD, Portugal off satellite. The encryption is in the stream. This is becoming the norm now with satellite HD broadcasts accross Europe, at the request of rights holders.

@ the OP. You cannot point to a similar file on the net. The encryption is sent in the stream for that Portugeese HD channel. Every recording will be different depending on what is in the stream. If it is HD it is likely to be protected.

And sadly from v2.11 of the spec from 2011 onwards, HD flagging in the transport stream protects the broadcast from playing outside the box/tv.

The HDCP must be on (enabled or activated) in the signal within the HDMI-link out of the IRD for
    services in case of any following alternatives:
    • if any of service’s components has copyright flag in Transport Stream (TS) or Packetised
    Elementary Stream (PES) header is set on (‘1’) and/or
    • if signalled as must be on via PSI/SI descriptor in PMT as specified in NorDig specification
    and/or
    • if signalled as a must be on via CA-system as specified in NorDig specification.
    If any of the above alternatives request the HDCP must be on, then the service is here referred to
    as a ‘protected’ service.

Ask 2RN about what they are doing in this regard:)

Grats wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with the Walker combo box. Tried everything suggested by posters but no luck. Wrote to Walker today asking them to confirm the encryption issue and to see if there is a way around it.

If the recording is a HD channel, then it sounds quite the same issue even if it is in Chunks. SD recording should not have these copyright protection flags, ie TV3/Tg4/RTE News Now recording should play okay by renaming to .TS.

Regardless the protection I would expect the Walker box to be capable of playing the saved file/s from an external drive just as easily as it plays from any internal drive.

In the case of the OP, the requirement is to play the saved video on another Walker box ....... would this not be possible?

Regardless the protection I would expect the Walker box to be capable of playing the saved file/s from an external drive just as easily as it plays from any internal drive.

In the case of the OP, the requirement is to play the saved video on another Walker box ....... would this not be possible?

No matter what channel I recorded from it won't play on a PC.

No matter what channel I recorded from it won't play on a PC.

That is because of the "protection" system built into the Walker.

One BIG reason to never buy one of those STBs, IMO.

In case of the latter you are assuming that the receiving box has the same software as the TV (the OP recorded off a TV). They may not. Infact there are several Walker boxes with different DVR implementations (chunk files vs .rec files) which would rule that out.

Even if they did the receiving device would have to be HDCP compliant.

The third and most important issue is that the protection flag is not required for SD content. The software on the problem boxes may have not been configured correctly to handle these transport streams and perhaps prevents all content from being played outisde of the device regardless of having a protection flag or not.

Perhaps Saorview via 2rn can advise if they are flagging content to be protected and if so which, just HD ? If it is the case that only HD content is protected, then Walker need to address this issue of releasing firmware to address issues for non protected SD content. If I recall correctly Humax in the UK had a similar content provision for HD content implementation that carried accross to SD content and a unofficial fix was given on the Hummy forum.

Failing all that maybe some kind soul might help over at futuara - Unofficial Vestel Bug Tracking site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...was just pointed to this thread now, as I have the same query.

So, all of the stuff on my HDD is useless ? That makes a complete nonsense of recording it at all.......is there any way to output it from the Walker box and re-record it on to something else, in a portable format ?

This is beginning to feel like making '80's "mix tapes" all over again !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Lads, got a phone call from a Walker rep this morning, and he said that all recordings are tied to the actual machine it is recorded on. He said he thought is was a copyright issue and were not all TV's/STB's the same.
    I mentioned a few that were not, Humax, Ariva and indeed most of the "cheaper" boxes allow you to copy what you want. So unless some coding genius, can come up with a work around, we appear to be stuck.
    At least they took the trouble to call me back.

Dave

Lads, got a phone call from a Walker rep this morning, and he said that all recordings are tied to the actual machine it is recorded on. He said he thought is was a copyright issue and were not all TV's/STB's the same.
    I mentioned a few that were not, Humax, Ariva and indeed most of the "cheaper" boxes allow you to copy what you want. So unless some coding genius, can come up with a work around, we appear to be stuck.

Dave

Fair play to you. This has been driving me crazy for months. As I said earlier I emailed Walker yesterday but heard nothing back yet. Your post answers it for me now. I have two of the combo boxes which are useless in relation to copying recordings. Back to the 80s for sure!

• Advertisement

Fair play to you. This has been driving me crazy for months. As I said earlier I emailed Walker yesterday but heard nothing back yet. Your post answers it for me now. I have two of the combo boxes which are useless in relation to copying recordings. Back to the 80s for sure!

Not really ..... only for those unlucky enough to buy this line of devices.
    ;)

Just as a footnote,does anyone know what format the Triax TR212S Saorview Set Top Box records in and can the usb containing the recorded programs on other devices?

Dave

Hold on a sec Dave. You were given a very short answer and one that would make you go away. The content protection ONLY applies to content that is flagged by the broadcaster. In the majority of cases this will only apply to HD content if at all.

Saorview SD (standard definition) content Tv3, Tg4, RTE News Now, RTE1+1 do not have protection as it is not signalled to the Tv or box. Same goes for SD satellite channels (ITV2 etc) and especially the Saorview ones on 9E.

Therefore the problem lies with the software on these Walker devices that it is not allowing unprotected recordings off the box. They (Walker) need to get in contact with Vestel who manufactured tehse and get a firmware fix released as they are needlessly locking down ALL content.
    Just as a footnote,does anyone know what format the Triax TR212S Saorview Set Top Box records in and can the usb containing the recorded programs on other devices?

Stay way from Triax as some of their models are also made by Vestel. Ferguson's do not have any of these limitations. 152 or 252 combos.

Thanks
    Daphil

For the NON HD recordings use this bit of software (applies to REC files only). It will remove the header in the recording and enable it to be played as a ts on a PC using VLC.

http://www.pauljonathan.eclipse.co.uk/

STB wrote: »
    For the NON HD recordings use this bit of software (applies to REC files only). It will remove the header in the recording and enable it to be played as a ts on a PC using VLC.

http://www.pauljonathan.eclipse.co.uk/
    How does this work ?
    I extracted the files, but when I tried to open it, a "DOS" box (I'm old), appeared for a second then disappeared.
    Thanks

How does this work ?
    I extracted the files, but when I tried to open it, a "DOS" box (I'm old), appeared for a second then disappeared.
    Thanks

I know the feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

How does this work ?
    Thanks

Read the instructions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Did the OP try converting with Handbrake?

I have a WP95SAT-HD that saves as "chunk.1" "chunk.2" etc approx 2 minutes files.

Previously I just renamed them with an mp4 extension, like "chunk.1.mp4" etc, and they played fine in VLC.

However, a recent recoring on ITV+1, I couldn't play any of the files on VLC, so I processed them through Handbrake, outputting as mp4, and they now work fine in VLC.

Yeah tried Handbrake as well, nothing worked,
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Had the same problem with the Alba B660. Recordings would only play on that box.

Advertisement