Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Declaring a car off the road

• 21-12-2005 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭

Since 1st October 2013, the process of declaring a car off the road has changed.

It is no longer possible to retrospectively declare a car off the road.

The declaration must be made in the month of expiry of your current motor tax disc.

If your car's tax is out, you'll need to pay any arrears and tax the car for a minimum of 3 months if you want to declare the car off the road in future.

You may declare a car off the road for between 3 and 12 months

If you have just bought a vehicle and do not intend to use it immediately, you will have ten days from the date of purchase to furnish a declaration of non-use.

You can cancel the declaration at any time by renewing your tax in your local motor tax office – the validity of the tax disc will commence from the first day of the month in which you tax the vehicle.

Click here to view RF150 form

Click here to view thread from lead-up to October 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

So I declared my car off the road in the middle of last year. I'm looking into maybe driving it again.

Is there any special process I have to go through or can I just get the stanard tax form stamped by my local garda with the correct off the road dates on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Q11. What if I want to put the vehicle back on the road before the period specified in the declaration expires?

A11. You can cancel the declaration at any time by renewing your tax in your local motor tax office – the validity of the tax disc will commence from the first day of the month in which you tax the vehicle.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/#Q11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you simply tax it. No need for stamps or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I declared a vehicle off the road from 1st December.
    I want to tax it from 1st March.
    When I enter detail online on motortax.ie website, it says arrears are due from 1st December.
    Is it not possible to tax off-the-road vehicle online?
    If so - why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CiniO wrote: »
    I declared a vehicle off the road from 1st December.
    I want to tax it from 1st March.
    When I enter detail online on motortax.ie website, it says arrears are due from 1st December.
    Is it not possible to tax off-the-road vehicle online?
    If so - why not?

I tried too, and rang Shannon and they said no - have to go in to CoCo office. ...ffs...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I tried too, and rang Shannon and they said no - have to go in to CoCo office. ...ffs...

Thanks for info.

That's bit mad.
    We need to use the car from today or tomorrow and it's definitely needed next week.
    There's no chance I will be able to pop over to motortax office in next week, as both me and my wife are working at all times during motortax office opening hours.
    All we can really do is risk driving it, while it's still declared off the road, hoping that gard will believe in our story.

I had the same, the first of the month was a Saturday so I went in on the Friday to tax it and they wouldn't do it, had to wait until Monday before they could send out the disc.
    It really isn't up to the Co Council to be worrying that I might drive the car on the Friday illegally, that's the gards job.
    As it was I lost two days (actually three as obviously the disc didnt arrive until Tuesday)usage of the car and still had to pay the tax for them.

Yeah, but you have to appreciate that they're using a computerised system and you were in the wrong month.

yes, but you can renew your tax early, so the mechanism to tax it in the wrong month is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

anyone know what happens in the following situation...

The car owner is deceased since late 2013 and the car tax is out as of end Feb '14, no declaration of non-use has been made on the car. If the car is to be sold soon, is there a problem looming re non-declaration or is there provision made for death of previous owner?

• Advertisement

JMSE wrote: »

The car owner is deceased since late 2013 and the car tax is out as of end Feb '14, no declaration of non-use has been made on the car. If the car is to be sold soon, is there a problem looming re non-declaration or is there provision made for death of previous owner?

Arrears for unpaid tax arise only when registered owner proceeds to tax the car.
    In that case I'd imagine that's rather impossible.

JMSE wrote: »

The new owner is only liable from when they buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 boro3000

Hi

I want to declare my car off the road. Familiar with the new system. However I have arrears of two months on the car with amounts to about €86 Euro.
    Won't allow me to do this online. So heading to the tax office tmrow. Are they going to make me pay the €83 before they allow me to take it off the road. Or can this be paid the next time I want to tax it. Anyone had to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

You can only declare it off road during it's last month of current tax. Minimum period of tax is 3 months so you will have to pay for 3 months tax which will include the two months arrears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Or 'sell' it to a relative (who can, if they want, declare it SORD) and 'buy' it back when you want to re-tax it...

Nothing illegal about it. Just following the rules.

As above.
    Let's say your tax expired at the end of May.
    You tax it for the minimum 3 months from 1st July to end of September, and from start of June till end of July.
    You can't declare a car off the road unless the tax is up to date, and you can't pay back tax without taxing ahead for min. 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 boro3000

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kfog wrote: »
    You can only declare it off road during it's last month of current tax. Minimum period of tax is 3 months so you will have to pay for 3 months tax which will include the two months arrears.

3 months in addition to arrears.
    colm_mcm has it right, unless Boro3000 transfers ownership to another person he will have to pay the 2 months arrears (May/June) plus tax for July-Aug-Sep at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Looking for advice please.....

I want to declare my car off road as I am leaving the country for about 6 months.

The current disc expires 31/10/2014 but I am leaving Ireland first week of September.I was going to declare it off the road from the 1st of November to the 30th of April

Am I right in stating that I therefore cannot declare the car off the road in the month of September as the disc expires in October......If that is the case is there a way of making the declaration in October when I am not in Ireland....i.e can I post the RF150 form from abroad in October

booth70 wrote: »
    Looking for advice please.....

I want to declare my car off road as I am leaving the country for about 6 months.

The current disc expires 31/10/2014 but I am leaving Ireland first week of September.I was going to declare it off the road from the 1st of November to the 30th of April

Am I right in stating that I therefore cannot declare the car off the road in the month of September as the disc expires in October......If that is the case is there a way of making the declaration in October when I am not in Ireland....i.e can I post the RF150 form from abroad in October

Of course.
    You can do it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

CiniO wrote: »
    Of course.
    You can do it online.

Didn't realise you could do it online.......Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Do you have to keep re-declaring a vehicle off the road once the maximum 12 month period elapses?

I received a final tax reminder today for a tractor which was declared off the road from Sep 1st 2013 to 31th Aug 2014. I never received any initial reminders about this.
    I rang my CoCo office who said if the tractor is never going back in the road I can just return the form to Clare with a note saying as much. Is that correct?
    It looks to me like the off the road declaration has run out and since I didnt re-declare it in time, Im now required to tax it as the vehicle is back on the system for the last couple of months.......

do you want to tax it now? If you don't, do nothing and when you do want to tax it, transfer ownership to your wife/brother/son and arrears disappear. Watch out that the Law doesn't change at some time though.

I wouldn't follow the Co Co advice though, as they will then look for a cert of destruction I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

corktina wrote: »
    do you want to tax it now? If you don't, do nothing and when you do want to tax it, transfer ownership to your wife/brother/son and arrears disappear. Watch out that the Law doesn't change at some time though.

I wouldn't follow the Co Co advice though, as they will then look for a cert of destruction I'd guess.

Yeah. Im thinking the same. The way the notice is worded it seems you either have it declared off the road, taxed, or scrapped, theres no grey area, so they would want a destruction cert.

Im happy to ignore it but looks like I won't get another reminder and they will start sending fines after this?

they wont. You wont have any trouble until you come to tax it, so make sure it's not you who next taxes it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

A friends car is declared off the road May- July. She plans to declare it off Aug- Oct BUT is going to use it a handful of times from August- car garage, 2 or 3 essential trips.
    Ignoring that this is illegal, if she is caught what is the outcome?
    A fine, penalty points & have to pay the tax.
    What would the fine be, how many penalty points & would she have to pay the tax from May or from August?

Thanks,
    Pa.

There was talk of heavier fines for cars driven while on SORD, but like many other things I don’t think it materialised.

Simple answer is she should tax it for 3 months. Whether she declared off road or not, the car will be taken off her for having tax out of date so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

colm_mcm wrote: »
    . Whether she declared off road or not, the car will be taken off her for having tax out of date so long.

Is that definitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, Gardai seize cars all the time for no tax (or other reasons).
    Google it

• Advertisement
Advertisement