Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about gloves, proper winter gloves

Options
  • 31-01-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Right, my hands get cold. Really cold. I 've tried: Altura, sealskins, castelli plus proper ski gloves, all of the above with and without glove liners. Ski gloves worked and kept my gloves warm the longest but they are so bulky they are useless.
    Now I am looking to shell out a good amount in order to keep my hands warm and I am between the Assos fuguGloves_S7 and Deep Winter Gloves by Rapha. Has anyone tried them both? Or has anyone the same issue that was solved by different gloves?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've tried the Fugu gloves, but TBH more when I'm not on the bike - they are really warm. In fact I've never needed anything warmer then the Assos Early Winter gloves this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Using surgical gloves as a liner is an interesting idea.

http://road.cc/content/forum/99280-ultimate-winter-glove

I use thin gloves from Prendas as a liner underneath some old fleece Berghaus gloves. Never been cold with that combo even in the snowpocalyse a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I have found these to be perfect, haven't used them in snowy conditions as yet, but they work well:

www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-thermolite-roubaix-glove/rp-prod80254

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I use SWIX cross country skiing gloves and I find they still give me plenty of dexterity. Only problem is they're not really waterproof so they're more for cold days than downpours. The reinforcement for XC skiing is between the thumb and palm so it's the exact position in which you sit on the hoods - so they last really well without wearing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I suffer from cold hands as well....early signs of developing arthritis, yey! Assos liner and Fugu combination work very well in the dry, but in the rain/hail and cold like last Saturday my hands were cold to the point of painful for a while.

I'm tempted to try the liner and Assos rain glove combo for the coldest wet days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have the Rapha ones.
    I used to get cold hands.
    Now I don't.
    They are well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Beasty wrote: »
    I've tried the Fugu gloves, but TBH more when I'm not on the bike - they are really warm. In fact I've never needed anything warmer then the Assos Early Winter gloves this winter

I have those as well, but even with the liner it's not enough.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Using surgical gloves as a liner is an interesting idea.

Won't you sweat like crazy with surgical gloves? They are not breathable at all, are they?
    darkvalley wrote: »

That's something to consider, but I assume mobility will be an issue.
    lgk wrote: »
    I suffer from cold hands as well....early signs of developing arthritis, yey! Assos liner and Fugu combination work very well in the dry, but in the rain/hail and cold like last Saturday my hands were cold to the point of painful for a while.

I'm tempted to try the liner and Assos rain glove combo for the coldest wet days.

Developing arthritis.. lovely..thanks! lol

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have the Rapha ones.
    I used to get cold hands.
    Now I don't.
    They are well worth the money.

How do they hold with rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have always found mitts to be better than gloves for warmth. Think its because less surface area of the hand is exposed. I use Dakine ski mitts which I find to be excellent. A bit more awkward to change gears but nice and warm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Have the Fugu Gloves - they're very good. The warmest gloves I have are Castelli Estremo, but I find them a bit bulky. Never tried the Rapha ones - I think Rapha stuff, while lovely, tends to prioritize style over substance.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    How do they hold with rain?

On the basis that it has been raining since whenever and I have used them every day it has been below 7degrees.

They work very very well.
    Not waterproof, but lined with various layers. The exten well up past the wrist with neoprene. I have had them a few years and he are the mutts nuts.

Unlike a lot of winter gloves they are easy to get in and off. They are also relatively good to grip the bar.

The tops of each finger has an extra outer lining to prevent wind chill.

Rapha make a lot of stuff. It's all pricey. The jerseys are crap. The shorts are so so.

The accessories are the best there is IMHO.
    Overshoes, oversocks, gloves, caps, arm earners and knee earners are all worth getting. They are a great investment.

If you buy the gloves and they don't work for you I will take the gloves from you at cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

http://glacierglove.com/our-products/cycling/premium-waterproof-cycling-glove.html ... Tom Boonen uses these (I did see a picture of him wearing them whilst riding at the front of a bunch but I can't find it at the moment). If they are good enough for Tom...

Thanks Rok On, unfortunately looks like they are out of stock for this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

I've got these from China and have to say they are great, no problems and keeps hands & fingers very warm,
    worked out at €9.99 delivered!

http://www.dhgate.com/product/winter-outdoor-sports-cycling-driving-ski/167779687.html#myaccount_orderdetail-1-null

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Another cold hand sufferer here.
    I got a pair of Campagnolo Textrans gloves of pprenderville and they are great.
    In the wet I have surfer neoprene gloves.
    Work very well. Yes your hands get wet but cold to the degree of nearly crying? Not anymore.

I have campag textran gloves.

Warm, sweaty and uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't usually suffer from cold hands. I've the Assos Early Winter gloves and they usually do just fine. On cold days I stick liners beneath them.

However, a few spins this winter I've suffered horribly in the rain. Waterproof they ain't, at least in torrential rain. Got the rain gloves now. So far so good but they haven't had a real test yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I use these and find them great , haven't been out in majour downpours in them yet but they held up pretty well in what rain I have been out in , and have always been warm .
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/castelli-diluvio-gloves/rp-prod88520

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a pair of Tenn winter gloves, they are extremely warm but quite bulky. I've only wore them once but found my hands overheating with them. I had to take them off and cycle in 3degrees air temp (probably near zero inc wind chill factor) and then put them back on after my hands started to freeze , then off again and so and so on. I can't see myself using them again due to this. They're quite thick but I could still manage to change gears with them. I've a pair of Aldi gloves that are more than adequate for cold days and a pair of lidl gloves which are slightly heavier for use in really cold weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

It's layers for me in this weather:
    1st: Regular cycling glove.
    2nd: Close fitting cheap woolly glove.
    In back pocket: The outers of craft lobster gloves for descents, cold and the rain. The inners just pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I am using sealskins this year, they cost a few quid and they are great on cold days but strangely, despite their name and trade mark claims, they don't seem to be very good on the waterproof side of things.
    Also they are a pain in the ass if your hands get sweaty or wet as the lining sticks to the fingers and take an age to put back on even with my best efforts of grabbing the finger tips.
    I want an good pair of waterproofs for long distance... The search continues....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The problem here is cold hands? Heat gain in hands is less than heat loss.

Is there anything to increase circulation, by limiting any reason for restriction of blood flow, too tight clothing on arms perhaps?

Also if your generally cold anyhow your body will naturally restrict heat flow away from core

Any snake oil remedy to help? They may work even if it is just a placebo effect!

On heat loss side there is convection losses due to fluid flow transfering heat energy from hands, either rainwater or cold air flow. A thin liner may help in trapping a thin layer in much the same way as neoprene inhibiting heat transfer. A quality external layer should greatly reduce both convection losses as a result air and water. There are plenty recommendations already given.

Conduction losses to alloy or carbon bars should also be considered, a wider bar tape with poor conduction qualities should be considered.

I've cycled a fixie in -2 with no gloves for up to an hour with no issue. While I've very good circulation, the spongy grips is real reason I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I occasionally use Mycoal hand warmers on long, cold (overnight) spins. Tuck them into back of the glove and they keep the chill off. They don't get too hot that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I agree with ROK ON, Neoprene gloves and overshoes work well for me. I've pretty bad circulation so my extremities seems to feel the cold more than most.

I'm using Altura Neoprene gloves and Endura Neoprene Overshoes and work well for me. I also pump my arms occasionally to keep the blood going as just gripping the bars for hours doesn't really help in keeping warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If gloves aren't working then try some heated road bike tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Big fan of campagnolo texted gloves - especially the 11 speed version.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

AstraMonti, what SealSkinz did you try?

I have the same problem and have been using these Berghaus polartec gloves as liners, with a pair of Berghaus goretex mittens on top. The whole setup is fairly bulky, and in the worst of the cold I've still had cold fingers (although this year hasn't been too bad).

I was on the verge of getting a pair of SealSkinz Handlebar Mitts based on the reviews, but I'm getting second thoughts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

sullzz wrote: »
    I use these and find them great , haven't been out in majour downpours in them yet but they held up pretty well in what rain I have been out in , and have always been warm .
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/castelli-diluvio-gloves/rp-prod88520
    I find the diluvios good in temps above 6 degrees with or without rain but any colder with rain and they arent worth a damn. Like everyone here I have yet to find the perfect glove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

ford2600 wrote: »
    The problem here is cold hands? Heat gain in hands is less than heat loss.

Is there anything to increase circulation, by limiting any reason for restriction of blood flow, too tight clothing on arms perhaps?

Any snake oil remedy to help? They may work even if it is just a placebo effect!

I got this below, cayenne pepper tincture, which I rub a few drops on my nose which in chilly times can get very uncomfortably cold, also on hands occasionally though I haven't needed it cycling. There's also a much hotter version below again. Certainly not just a placebo. From that site delivery very reasonable cost-wise on what I bought though did take a couple of weeks.

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Dr-Christopher-Cayenne-Pepper-Extract.html?%3CosCsid%3E

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Dr-Christopher-Hot-Cayenne-Extract-180000-HU.html?%3CosCsid%3E

Advertisement