Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping/Parking Locations

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Last summer I found myself driving for a couple of hours longer than I wanted, in order to find a suitable layby / picnic spot to pull over and park for the night. Typical really. I passed several places during the day that would have been suitable, but when I wanted one, I could not find one. I guess the crux is that I wanted something that wasnt just at the side of the road, but had to get off the main road to find one. So it was real hit and miss. we did find one in the end. It seemed to be a regular truck stop for drivers to catch a few Z's before heading off early the next day.

So, can the good readers of M&C thread post a location or two where they know a camper can pull in for a night? Is there an open area /old carpark / picnic spot in your town where a camper can stop without upsetting anyone? Just talking about overnight parking here, not unloading chairs / awnings / emptying water / pluging in / etc. So just taking up the footprint of the camper .... ie parking, not camping.

I know there are places in my town where a camper could park, but a tourist would never know about it, and you cant stop in every town and ask the first person you see .

Anyway, thats the pitch (pardon the pun) .... so, what you got? (maybe a short description, lat-long if you have it, nearby pubs / restaurants / restricted height barriers, etc).

*NB* posts here are not to be taken as permission to park! Its just a list of tips to check out if you are in the area

Kerry, Ballybunion:
    Cliff Road, just before the Cliff House Hotel. Often campers parked here in summer. The road overlooks the beach and plenty of space to park. But it is at the side of the road, so passing traffic (very slow) will be just a few feet away.

Kerry, Ballybunion:
    Mens Beach Road. Follow main st (one way) until you reach a right turn (opp McMunns Restaurant). This road goes all the way to the beach. But be aware, beach is not suitable for driving on. There are often campers parked near the shops / public toilet on this road. Also, this road is a small hill, so use chocks if you like it level!

Kerry, Ballybunion: 52.526886 , -9.670745
    Old Creamery Building, Doon Rd. < 1 mile out of town. Head north , on the Tarbert / Limerick road out of town. Go up the hill at the edge of town, and turn left at the old / ruin church. About 1/2 mile down this road, on the LHS is old buildings (used to be creamery). Plenty of space to pull in off the road and a bit of shelter from sea wind. As you are just out of town here, there are no facilities around, but it is a short walk 5 - 10 mins back to town.

Kerry, Tralee: 52.264405 , -9.677319
    scrub carpark between McDonalds & Debenhams, Manor West shopping centre. Its in the middle of town, so might be busy, but might suit some. There was a height restriction bar over the gate, but its gone now. NB: it might not stay this way forever!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Carlingford, Co. Louth: The Four Seasons Hotel welcome overnight Motorhomers once you let them know you're there and buy a few drinks / meal in the bar. Great safe spot and a fabulous town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Carrick, South West Donegal:

public car park in centre of the village, just a short drive to Teelin, Bunglas and the beautiful Slieve League. We've often parked there for several nights on the trot but make yourself known in Hegartys Ostan Slieve League across the road, Quiggs Central Bar, and the local grocery stores. Locals will have no problem with you parking once you're contributing to the local economy.

It's the overnight campers that bring all their own stuff and spend nothing that give Motorhomers a bad name!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I posted same details in another thread but I'll stick them here again incase it's missed:

http://www.reisverhaleneuropa.nl/cam...d/plaatsen.htm Plenty of spots around the country listed there including streetviews. It's in Dutch so you'll need to translate. Just be aware that the site is up a good while so some of the spots may have changed.

You could also try http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/ for wildcamping spots. If you pay a small subscription, around a tenner I think, you'll have access to a list with 100's of spots including up to date feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Can't vouch for this place but I plan on taking a trip soon after seeing a flyer in the Lough key campsite (which itself is excellent).

http://www.andersonspub.com/ in Carrick on Shannon

Free overnight parking in this pub, you can fill your tank with natural spring water and they'll mind your dog if you want to go out for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Does anyone know what parking facilities are in Waterford, especially in the west of the county from Dungarvan westwards?

• Advertisement
Advertisement