Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emo kids

Options
  • 26-01-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hey ive just moved to dublin and i cant find any emo kids. none at all. where are they? and does anyone know where they hang out?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Try 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Paging Patchy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

I believe they're on the endangered species list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

"Emo". Now there's a word I've not heard spoken in a long time. Takes me back to the School Skirmishes of the middling naughties. Back then times were simpler, no smart phones or apping bobs, only good old fashioned bricks that took a modern whole pocket to hold. If you got into a heated argument and wanted to seem like an expert you had to walk all the way home and load up Wikipedia and then walk all the way back. There was not many facing books either, only Bebos. Back then I worked as a math monger, long before Wolfram brought it big. It was easier times then my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Scenemaker

Davidius wrote: »
    "Emo". Now there's a word I've not heard spoken in a long time. Takes me back to the School Skirmishes of the middling naughties. Back then times were simpler, no smart phones or apping bobs, only good old fashioned bricks that took a modern whole pocket to hold. If you got into a heated argument and wanted to seem like an expert you had to walk all the way home and load up Wikipedia and then walk all the way back. There was not many facing books either, only Bebos. Back then I worked as a math monger, long before Wolfram brought it big. It was easier times then my friend.

This generation is dead. That does sound like a better time. Punk rock music, differant type of people in school. If i was offered to be teleported back then i would take it. Its all online these days :( and i dont think its for the better. In school its hard to come by people that are deeper than a puddle of water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lawliet wrote: »
    Try 2006

Sorry 2006 was 8 years ago. I am not ok with this..

Sure I was only messing. In truth little has really changed and it's been less than a decade. There are people today pining for the supposed glory days of the '60s simply because of the Beatles despite the social and global problems that defined that decade. It is a very narrow view on life to restrict your perception of people to how they dress or what kind of music they like. People are both more alike and diverse in thought than you seem to realise.

When I was in school (up until 2009) being 'emo' mostly meant people who dressed in black and spoke in bad American accents. In truth none of the ones I knew could be described as any 'deeper' than anybody else I knew at the time - though they seemed to think so. It was only a trend and tbh there weren't really all that many of them outside urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Scenemaker wrote: »
    This generation is dead. That does sound like a better time. Punk rock music, differant type of people in school. If i was offered to be teleported back then i would take it. Its all online these days :( and i dont think its for the better. In school its hard to come by people that are deeper than a puddle of water

Dass deeeeep, duuuuuude.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

All the emo kids that went to school with me were from fairly well off families. Could never understand what they were so mopey about. Not like they had anything like a real problem to pout and stare at with one eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

bec1176f862fad60a48d4053a6280e5b6b832e048f94b23bee8967c0d4e1ea20.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

^^ What the poster said above. Emos have transformed into this generation's hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

I hate people who believe they have to act in a certain way to fit into a sub culture. Just be yourself

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I knew this thread title reminded me of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I always found the idea of subcultures hilarious. Especially the subcultures which pride themselves on being about non conformism and individuality.

The goths, the punks post 79, and the emo kids all claim to be unique yet each has a very strict uniform. the punks are militant about it and are more oppresive than "the man" they oppose.

Musically I'd probably be classed as a punker but fashion wise the only subculture I belong to is Penny's

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I always think anyone who defines themselves as one particular thing is a bit odd tbh. The biggest one I've seen is "Oh, I'm a gamer." or "I'm a huge nerd." Great, is that all that defines you as a person? Cos if it is, I think that's our conversation done buddy. Being into just one thing is moronic.

This goes doubly so for music. "Oh, I only listen to hard-mega-trance-metal from East Germany circa. 1983.". :rolleyes:

Gotta diversify your portfolio yo'.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The biggest one I've seen is "Oh, I'm a gamer."

(Warning: The cringe you will experience will contort your brows into a singularity)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Oh... oh my...

That's... something...

:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CTYIgirl wrote: »

Aw, wow. I loved that video back around 2006! :D The original uploads kept getting removed, but someone always managed to find it for their Bebo flashbox. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

An File wrote: »
    Aw, wow. I loved that video back around 2006! :D The original uploads kept getting removed, but someone always managed to find it for their Bebo flashbox. :D

I WAS an emo kid. I think there may be photos of me with a coontail and wearing a tutu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Scenemaker

CTYIgirl wrote: »

nothing pisses me off more than that. if you dont have anything nice to say than dont say anything at all. and it might be a good idea to actually learn what emo actually is too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

El oh el...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

After watching that video I no longer understand life. I'm just gonna crawl back under my rock. Safer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Finding emo huh? Wasn't that a Disney movie or something....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Scenemaker wrote: »
    nothing pisses me off more than that. if you dont have anything nice to say than dont say anything at all. and it might be a good idea to actually learn what emo actually is too.

Most of my friends from 2003-2008 were 'emos.'

Want to know what defined them as emos?
    They came from middle class families, had plenty of money, no real life problems to speak of, but dressed all in black, with some neon thrown in to brighten it up, listened primarily to mcr and fob, because they were 'deep' and 'relatable' (they're neither), fell in 'love' with every short term gf/bf they had, self harmed when they had a row with their parents (not to detract from people who self harm due to serious mental issues, because I was one of the 'mentally ill' category), had a floppy fringe, wore lots of eyeliner and liked to hang out at the Central Bank, drinking Smirnoff Ice.

Being friends with people who like the same things as you is great, truly. But emo has a well deserved stereotype, one which tends to be correct in most cases, so if you want to be an emo, you take the good with the bad.

For the record, I have always listened primarily to metal and rock, wear a lot of black, and used to live in New Rocks and leather. I still love that stuff, but rarely wear it because I have to be professional in the industry I work in, plus I like 'normal' clothes, too. So I'm not just some 'norm' who is a judgmental cow. I'm basing this on what I experienced growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Go to the Bank in Dublin City. You'll find your emo kids and a whole load of twáttery.

"Like oh my god, he's totally cheating on me with that girl, he's laughing at her jokes!"

I'm so glad I never hung out there, voluntarily at least.

What are they doing at the bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Jhcx wrote: »
    What are they doing at the bank?

From my younger days (I'd imagine it's the same now) - causing fights over nothing, drinking smirnoff ice, begging people for smokes, and gossiping about each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

vdMuLmf.jpg

hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

From my younger days (I'd imagine it's the same now) - causing fights over nothing, drinking smirnoff ice, begging people for smokes, and gossiping about each other.

And crying 'cos their best friend lied about something.

• Advertisement

Sounds much like today's young gen. Ha ha except the Smirnoff

Advertisement