Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-01-2014, 17:14   #1
Tawny Owl

Laptop not connecting to internet.

I have a toshiba laptop running windows 7 just had new modem sent from Vodafone and set it up, it will not connect to the internet you can see it trying to connect I did manage to log into it this morning but loged off and now cant get in although something came on the screen earlier saying "infection Gen variant adware better browser" seems like another site is blocking my connection but dont know how to find this to remove put this up from my phone.
Advertisement
18-01-2014, 17:19   #2
5uspect

It won't connect to the modem, or your web browser won't connect to a website? Sounds like the latter and it sounds like you have some sort of virus according to that message.
18-01-2014, 17:23   #3
Tawny Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5uspect View Post
It won't connect to the modem, or your web browser won't connect to a website? Sounds like the latter and it sounds like you have some sort of virus according to that message.
It wont connect to browser as I am on the internet on the phone is a case of leaving the Laptop in for repair it says adware in C drive

Cheers.
18-01-2014, 21:25   #4
5uspect

Pretty much. See about using some better protection next time. Malwarebytes would be a good start.
18-01-2014, 22:48   #5
Tawny Owl

I have a monthly anti virus package I pay to Vodafone linked to the internet package, so I am wondering how I am in this position, as it checked everything at a certain time each day, that's why I am p###ed off, I pay and cant log on.
Advertisement
18-01-2014, 22:57   #6
5uspect

Unfortunately just because you're paying for a service doesn't mean it's any good. Many of the free solutions but the expensive ones to shame.
16-02-2014, 14:14   #7
Tawny Owl

Have managed to log on twice in the last 2 days, yesterday for 4 hours, turned the computer off last night, and turned it on this morning at 10am no connection, but showing a full signal and connected to the modem, I just tried again at 2pm and connected no problem logged on, would it be a driver that needs updating. very unreliable laptop at the moment, hope you can point me in the right direction.
20-02-2014, 21:32   #8
5uspect

Have you resolved the virus issue?
21-02-2014, 09:22   #9
sfbonner

If you have anti-virus by vodafone then thats only anti-virus, not anti-malware.

Firstly, boot into safe mode with networking, if this works then its most likely a virus causing the problem.

Download: AVG rescue disc & Malwarebytes.

Put AVG rescue disc onto a bootable cd. You will find the instructions on AVG's website.
Run the scan on the computer. (usually takes hours)

Once finished, boot into safe mode and run malwarebytes. Once malwarebytes has finished, restart the laptop and boot into normal windows. Should hopefully solve the problem.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion