Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raheny 5 Mile Road Race 26th Jan 2014

• 04-01-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Surprised that there's no thread started for this yet or maybe I'm just not technically adept enough to find it

Race Route

Last Year's Thread

I ran this last year and it was one of the races of the year even if the racing conditions were some of the worst I've experienced. It was so, so cold and so, so windy. The pounds and pounds of sweets in the goodie bag did make up for this and the commemorative plaque still proudly adorns my mantelpiece.

Who's running it this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Great race - for those of us using public transport to get there can anyone remember if there's somewhere to leave a bag? Will they let you drop one off in the clubhouse (at your own risk of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

statss wrote: »
    Great race - for those of us using public transport to get there can anyone remember if there's somewhere to leave a bag? Will they let you drop one off in the clubhouse (at your own risk of course)

Last year, I seem to remember collecting my number at the school and you could leave your stuff there (at your own risk). I don't think there was a designated bag drop off area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's always piles of bags in the hall/dressing rooms.
    I'm in, along with a bunch from the club. I've done this race every year so it's a good progress indicator (or regress indicator this year :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

sorted - I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looks great.
    Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I'm in too. Did it last year for the first time and thought it was brilliantly run. I left my bag in the hall last year. Don't think there was a designated bag drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Yeah I'm doing it. 3 weeks to get in some sort of shape for it ðŸ˜

How many took part last year & do they close off the roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I will be there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

colin32 wrote: »

Usually over 2,000 entries and the roads are mostly closed off (one side of then anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

colin32 wrote: »

Yep, I'm in - did it last year and it was a great race, even with the cold. Roads closed except for the Clontarf Road section which last year only hard the hard shoulder cordoned off - narrow and get any overtaking done before you get here, not a problem as the preceding bit is a nice downhill :) Race two in the Lord Mayor's 5-Alive as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Looks great.
    Where do I sign up?

You can sign up here:

https://www.activeglobal.com/running/dublin-ireland/axa-raheny-5-2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm in and signed up - will be my first time doing Raheny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm in for this also after being unavailable to do it the past few years.
    Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I walked this once and swore I would run it some day. It must have been 12 years ago. Every year I say I will run it and something gets in the way so I'm looking forward to running it this year. I remember the goodie bag was great! It will be a good way to kick off the running year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭plodder

Always a great race. Nice fast course.

eoinín wrote: »

Thanks.

All signed up now

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Signed up too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I'm signed up for it for the first time - is it really on at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon? Seems like a strange time for a race, as I'm so used to races in the morning and then a well-earned post-race rest-up that afternoon.

Must remember to skip the large Sunday dinner that day too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm signed up for it for the first time - is it really on at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon? Seems like a strange time for a race, as I'm so used to races in the morning and then a well-earned post-race rest-up that afternoon.

Must remember to skip the large Sunday dinner that day too!

A lot of people from outside Dublin run the main race and the kids' races, which start at 2, so I suppose the later start time gives them time to get there from around the country, warm up etc?

A sensible brunch/light lunch type meal at about 12 should be OK before it, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I'm more used to the 40 yard dash but I will be running in this event.

Hoping to break 40 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Just entered there. Does anybody have a link to the previous results that are NOT hosted by the tds-live.com website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Somebody might be able to give me a steer on this. There are kids races listed icluding one for 5-7 year olds - i have a young lad who is 4 and who is always talking about doing races etc, etc. Would there be an issue if I entered him into one of these races on the day given that he is underage - don't want to disappoint him on the day if it's not a runner? He would be quite happy to toddle along at the back of the field (like his da :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Signed up for this one too, my first race of the year. A sub 35 would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Somebody might be able to give me a steer on this. There are kids races listed icluding one for 5-7 year olds - i have a young lad who is 4 and who is always talking about doing races etc, etc. Would there be an issue if I entered him into one of these races on the day given that he is underage - don't want to disappoint him on the day if it's not a runner? He would be quite happy to toddle along at the back of the field (like his da :D)

If you go back to last years thread (there's a link in the first post in this thread), there's a few comments on the kids races that seem to suggest that they ain't too strict about ages. Other than that, I haven't a clue! And his da will be far from the back of the field;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm out of this now unfortunately.

Have fun kids.

I'm out of this now unfortunately.

Have fun kids.

Hmmmm...me too. New scheduling conflict with work.
    I'll just have to tell myself next year again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Will prob sign up for this tomorrow, depending on how the long run goes. Hadn't originally planned on doing this as it falls 3 weeks from Donadea 50k and should do my last long run next weekend. Can't resist this race though.... I love it. Just down the road from me, good buzz, and were there 2 slabs of chocolate in last year's goodie bag or am I imagining it? I'll push out my last long run to tues or weds evening following the Raheny 5 giving me about 18 days taper which will be fine.

Killerz wrote: »
    were there 2 slabs of chocolate in last year's goodie bag or am I imagining it?

Depends who packed your bag! some of the kids were being very generous with the chocolate as they packed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Depends who packed your bag! some of the kids were being very generous with the chocolate as they packed!

Pretty sure I had a slab of mint aero and a slab of rolo too. Dont think they lasted beyond Monday evening if i recall correctly.

Are the race bibs distributed on race day (at the race HQ?) or are they posted out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Are the race bibs distributed on race day (at the race HQ?) or are they posted out?

Collect on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

There are goody bags with chocolate? :D

Also, this year there will be a designated baggage area this year: the enclosed all-weather Raheny GAA pitch behind the GAA clubhouse. It is open to the elements but it will be supervised before, after and during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Has anyone who entered this received an email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Has anyone who entered this received an email?

Just a confirmation email from active.com after registering.

shane1981 wrote: »
    Just a confirmation email from active.com after registering.

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just wondering if anyone can give me a steer in terms of lining up in the right part of the field for Sunday's race (I can't find a full set of results online). My target finish time is 36:30 -37:00 mins. Want to give it my best shot by not starting too far to the back but obviously don't want to interfere with faster runners. Should I line up about a quarter of the way back ? Or is that too ambitious and should I be further back ?? Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can give me a steer in terms of lining up in the right part of the field for Sunday's race (I can't find a full set of results online). My target finish time is 36:30 -37:00 mins. Want to give it my best shot by not starting too far to the back but obviously don't want to interfere with faster runners. Should I line up about a quarter of the way back ? Or is that too ambitious and should I be further back ?? Thanks for any advice

36.30 would have you in the top 25% of the field based on last years results - ca. 550th place out of 2100 finishers. See page 55-56 in the results.

http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?login=&password=&is_domenica=-1&nextRaceId=&dpbib=&dpcat=&dpsex=&serviziol=null&servizio=000&pageType=1&id=5132&locale=2057#

I'm guessing that'll be around where there is a good mix of club t-shirts and non club t-shirts - if you're entirely surrounded by club singlets you're too far forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Cheers Eoinin, much appreciated. Really looking forward to it now, but hope it's not as breezy as the weather forecast suggests!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

2010 was the last time I did this, 32:32 was my time, would love a sub 30 this time around! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

2010 was the last time I did this, 32:32 was my time, would love a sub 30 this time around! :)

No bother to ye M. Will try get out to support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

No bother to ye M. Will try get out to support!

Ah brill RQ - I'll need all the support I can get! Will be running with jackyback, trying to push each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

Does anyone know if entries are taken on the day? Active global says I'm not in their database but when I try to register they say I'm already registered. Head is too melted for that sort of nonsense.

Edit: Facebook says No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

They are taking entries at Axa office in Raheny tomorro.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

O jeebus, that weather :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wind made it hard going in St Anne's this morning. Thankfully the rain stayed away until after everyone had finished! Best of luck to all taking part tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to everyone running in Raheny tomorrow.
    Really enjoyed this race last year, but just couldn't fit it in this time around.
    Hopefully the weathermen have got it wrong!

Ah, I can't run tomorrow, I was at the physio today with a small niggle that I need to rest instead of aggravating in a race.

Enjoy it if you're running and don't mind the weather, it's a short race!

It's only a short race if you're quick. Some of us aren't so quick :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement