Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android tablet/external drive question

Options
  • 02-01-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

Did a quick search here on boards & online but couldn't really find an answer so apologies if it's already been asked & excuse my ignorance as I'm a brand new android user - and mods hopefully am posting in the right section!

I was given a samsung galaxy tab 3 7.0 for Christmas & wanted to view media on it from an external harddrive/flash drive.

But using an OTG cable it's not recognised in any of the areas I would've thought, storage/gallery/media etc.
    Am I missing something really obvious?

My sister has a 3q surf tablet & at €100 it can read external drives, surely the samsung can do the same?
    Or do I have to resort to using samsung/PC software/Dropbox or the measly 32gb microsd card?

If I can't then I'll have to see if DID will maybe let me swap it for another budget tablet, if so any suggestions as I really need to be able to connect to external drives for work/travel etc, save me lugging lots of tech about :)

Thanks for your help!
    Kiya

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

From what I can see it does support FAT32 formatted flash drives and USB hard drives with seperate power adapters. I dont think it can deliver enough power to regular portable hard drives

According to here, the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 doesn't support OTG unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Thanks very much for your help.

Nightmare, hopefully they'll let me swap it for the 8inch or another tablet but I'll be using that link to double check.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Why not try a wireless HDD like Seagate's?
    Never felt comfortable using an otg ; battery drain, ware and tear etc.

>Sol

Advertisement