Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of engine upgrades for me on GTA Online.

Options
  • 31-12-2013 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm sick to the back teeth of losing online races, but I don't really care. I have no engine upgrades, but I'm satisfied with an all-stock engine and performance. Anyone else having trouble winning races? I've just given up with racing. I've only ever won one, and that was with friends...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Greg M wrote: »
    I'm sick to the back teeth of losing online races, but I don't really care. I have no engine upgrades, but I'm satisfied with an all-stock engine and performance. Anyone else having trouble winning races? I've just given up with racing. I've only ever won one, and that was with friends...

Ya my record is 16/112 I think. I have stage 2 on some cars but it's an absolute pain to try and unlock them. Especially when you enter a race and they have catchup turned on :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm pretty happy with my record, 23 wins out of 63 races and I'm getting more consistent as I go on.

The most important thing is when another racer does catch you (which is inevitable, the slipstream/catch up is so OP), just let them past. Swing way over to the other side of the road if you have to do, don't let them barge you off a cliff or something. Let them past and then either fly past them yourself or if you're sure you can do it without wrecking yourself, PIT manouevre or knock them off the road.

Learn how to take corners properly. The car handling in this game is very unrealistic, so you don't have to think about it like you would in Forza or Gran Turismo, you can attack every single corner hard and fast. Still though, visualize your line before each turn and get familiar with how whatever car you like best handles under braking.

Also stay calm and never give up any race. I've won several races from last place that seemed impossible. If the first 2/3 get into a real dogfight, they'll practically be at a standstill, they could easily lose a 30 seconds to a minute on a normal point-to-point. Not getting involved in shoving matches will save you bundles of time.

I wouldn't worry too much about performance upgrades, when I win I feel it's more down to my tactics and how well I've kept my head throughout the race. A standard Entity is fine for any super. I do generally race in a modded Bravado for muscle races, but it's not too heavily modded. I'm kind of undecided about what car to use for sports races, I do have a modded Entity but I think I over-did it with the turbo.

Motorbike races are complete lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Greg M

I didn't bother with racing beforehand, and now when I go into races, people are constantly beating me with their souped up Entities and Adders...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Have to say I think the adder is such a useless car for racing. Loads of people use it just because it's meant to be the veyron, but I honestly think it's the worst performing super car in every way for racing. Heavy turning and slow to reach top speed.

Just realised my stats in game are different to my stats on social club, very odd. I've got 31 wins in game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Have to say I think the adder is such a useless car for racing. Loads of people use it just because it's meant to be the veyron, but I honestly think it's the worst performing super car in every way for racing. Heavy turning and slow to reach top speed.

I put a set of off-road tyres on mine and you should see the thing charging up near vertical inclines!
    That's all they're good for really.

If anyone here would like a Sultan RS or a muscle car fully upgraded to top spec just give me a shout here. It just has to be a stolen vehicle under a certain value. It can't have been in your garage at all. I'll upgrade it and you drive off in it or sell it, simples.
    Nothing dodgy going on here either, I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Greg M wrote: »

It's all about strategy.

Learn turbo start and move (rapidly) out of the way of those who don't know it.

Avoid bumper car starts - hang back and let the early cars crash each other out and cruise by.

Try be second coming to the end of a tight race and slipstream by for 1st.

I was in your boat for a long time. Now I win 1 in 3 - stock or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Greg M

Cheers, opo. I'll bear that in mind next time I attempt a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I put a set of off-road tyres on mine and you should see the thing charging up near vertical inclines!
    That's all they're good for really.

If anyone here would like a Sultan RS or a muscle car fully upgraded to top spec just give me a shout here. It just has to be a stolen vehicle under a certain value. It can't have been in your garage at all. I'll upgrade it and you drive off in it or sell it, simples.
    Nothing dodgy going on here either, I promise!

Bagsy me one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

madalig12 wrote: »
    Bagsy me one!

No problem man. There's no point just taking one though! You might as well take a few to sell too.
    Just send me FR on Live. My GT is JOCKEYS I3LOX
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm horrendous as races. I hate them. Last night was the last straw for me. Playing some drift race at the docks, I was lapped by the 2 other races. :(

Advertisement