Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken conrod

Options
  • 26-12-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all, i am the owner of a 1.9tdi skoda superb 09 reg. Engine code BXE, 105bhp, with 80,000mls. it put a conrod through the block while travelling in traffic on the M50, at a speed of 50mph.It would appear that VW engine code BXE which is fitted to Skoda / Seat /VW vehicles has a problem with breaking conrods resulting in the engine having to be replaced. I had to source a secondhand engine as mine was beyond repair. Skoda, due to the car being out of warranty stated that they would strip down the engine to find the cause but i would have to pay for labour and for the new engine replacement which was not an economical solution. Google VW engine code BXE and it is frightning the number of breaking conrods incidents that are present. So if you are thinking of buying a 1.9tdi, 105bhp, engined seat/vw/skoda do your research and avoid engines with the BXE code. This is my third skoda tdi, and the only one to give problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

... Skoda, due to the car being out of warranty stated that they would strip down the engine to find the cause...

I don't understand that bit. Why would they investigate the cause unless there was a possibility of them accepting some or all of the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harbourmill

It was towed to the local Skoda Main dealer , service manager said that in order to investigate what had happened they would have to strip down the engine at my expense, i assume they would not hold themselves liable(throwing good money after bad) they would then decide if they would be a warranty claim or good will gesture by skoda which was unlikley (his words) as the warranty was up by 3 years in January. their remedy was to fit a brand new engine. I did not even enquire about price. i had the car towed to a independent garage and a second hand engine fitted for 2000 euros. This car was serviced every 10,000 mls using castrol edge fully synthetic oil. it would appear that the shell bearing carrier bolts under the conrod sheared off as the conrod top bearing carrier was half way out of the block with the threaded end of the bolt still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think its pretty well known of that engine code. As you say, research before buying is the solution but not man will as most think all 1.9 tdi engines are equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Research my foot. We need to be thinking more like the yanks and place the responsibility back with the manufacturer.

Too often we get crap cars with defects where we take the hit yet in uk and else where the manufacturer takes responsible and sorts it out.

The contempt most manufacturers have for irish customers is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The 2.0 TD BKD, AZV and BMN engines also have problems with the oil pump/balancer shaft assembly which causes terminal damage as well.
    The problem with all of these is that the local distributor in Ireland won't back any warranty claims, in the UK individuals have better success with repair and compensation unlike the situation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

visual wrote: »
    Research my foot. We need to be thinking more like the yanks and place the responsibility back with the manufacturer.

Too often we get crap cars with defects where we take the hit yet in uk and else where the manufacturer takes responsible and sorts it out.

While you are correct, it's difficult to make progress with the small numbers we have here. That's why imo, if you can avoid these issues by doing a bit of research, it will lead to an easier life.
    Op could always ring a northern Ireland dealer quoting chassis number and issue and see if there is any cover. It worked with injector issues before they agreed to cover them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

@Harbourmill: Those BXE are putting con rods out through the block all over the place and VAG are saying there is no problem. There are threads about it in several places, here's one to get you started:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1124871&mid=376130&i=40&nmt=VAG+TDI+1.9+PD+engine+failures&mid=376130

Here's another one:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/146231-bxe-engine-crap.html

Thanks wheelnut and all other contributors, i am new to this brilliant site, which was recommended by my son. i worked for Smiths garages ( main renault dealers) in the early 1970. i can honestly say in my 3yrs there i never came accross a car that had thrown a conrod. yes i have heard of it happning which i assumed was caused by over reving, or extreme hard driving, but when you play by the rules, regular servicing and timing belt kit with water pump replacement when due , its annoying and expensive to be hit out of the blue with a fault that you cannot prevent, My engine was replaced with another BXE, hopefully it will last but confidence levels are low !!!! thanks again .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Surely to god they cannot wash there hands on it when the car has a full service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

visual wrote: »

I had to replace at my expense a fuel hose which peed petrol all over the turbo. This was again a VAG car, 2003 Passat. The exact same issue is covered by a recall by VWUSA. VW Ireland more or less said XXXX off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I had to replace at my expense a fuel hose which peed petrol all over the turbo. This was again a VAG car, 2003 Passat. The exact same issue is covered by a recall by VWUSA. VW Ireland more or less said XXXX off.

The usa does put more pressure on manufacturer to sort out common known issues

I love to see the puppets in dail start to follow up with protecting the public more.

The probem as I see it is we have no collective voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Friend of mine owns a '07 Octavia with BXE engine in it in Latvia.

He has it since new and has full main dealer service history.

It spun all of the big end shells and threw a rod on a motorway, with no warnings at all.

Finding a donor engine was quite a challenge and he asked me if I can look for one in Ireland.
    I had a look and they are quite hard to come accross and are expensive second hand.

He got a block with a different code at the end (Apparently there are three codes that will fit) and used the head off his own engine on it. Running fine for now.

Skoda didn't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Same thing happened to me last Summer... there's a thread in this forum somewhere about it.

Another member put me in touch with a guy in the UK who knew all about these problems (having gone through it himself). He has a stack of reports built up from when he was putting together his case in the UK. He won through his financing company though, not through VW.

Anyway, he set me off with confidence I'd get VW to pay for the new engine. As an aside, I had already got 50% goodwill towards a new engine from the VW dealer I bought from. I wanted to be 100% compensated though. VW did not budge. I tried to go down the road safety route then. The guy in the UK mentioned that during his case he was told that if the failure caused some serious danger to other road users that it would be grounds for the UK road safety authorities to put pressure on VW. The only thing he had (and I had) was oil spilling on to the road but that was not enough. Only, and I quote, a "sudden catastrophic engine seizure, which results in the vehicle
    to instantaneously stop" is sufficient to open a case against VW. So basically, only in the event that someone dies (I don't know many who could survive a car instantaneously stopping while tipping along at 80+kph) will something happen about this. When the day does come that someone is seriously hurt or worse as a result of this dodgy engine, the sh*t will hit the fan.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

add me to this list, 09 passat 99,000 miles bang, pure junk these vw engines lately, and vw dont want to know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Is there any preventative work that can be done for this? What causes the failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Is there any preventative work that can be done for this? What causes the failure?

Yeah, don't buy a vw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I have also heard of a good few doing this...

Are there any decent cars out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It couldn't be that common on them. There's some serious amount of that engine going around and I can't say I've ever heard of a case of this happening. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'd say odds wise your talking way less than 1% it's not as if every second one is failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I have also heard of a good few doing this...

Are there any decent cars out there?

My Alfa is still going............

Crosses fingers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I know one lad it happened to - an 08 Golf with 150k miles and the long interval servicing thing.

2.0 HDI/TDCI engine in the Fords and Citroens, etc is supposedly very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I know one lad it happened to - an 08 Golf with 150k miles and the long interval servicing thing.

2.0 HDI/TDCI engine in the Fords and Citroens, etc is supposedly very good.

I personally would service it every 15k km. at the end of the day if you look at any engine long enough on the internet you'll find a million things that could go wrong with them. You could buy anything with an engine known for reliability and you could still drive down the road and the timming belt could snap or it could drop a valve or any other random thing could go wrong . I know of a guy who had 5 passats in a business they all had 450-500k km on them when he sold them they were 08 1.9tdi and I know for a fact none of them seen any new engines. Clutches and turbos that was about it. Our 05 octavia had 220k km on it when we sold it and it was running as good as ever.

VW make and supply a number of different 1.9tdi engines with different engine codes, the only vw 1.9tdi engine that has problems appears to be the BXE code, also the 2ltr VW tdi engine has a serious fault with the engine oil pumps and this fault is not confined to a single engine code or a single engine oil pump , some units have a sprocket and chain setup which wear down,resulting with the chain jumping the sprocket, another different 2ltr tdi code had a shaft drive oil pump where the shaft was designed too short and did not sit flush in its housing causing the splines of the shaft to wear down and fail. A third fault still with the 2ltr tdi is balancer shaft problem with the oil pump, this balancer shaft pump runs at TWICE the speed of the engine, and is prone to failure. If you are intending to purchase a 1.9 or 2ltr diesel be aware that Audi, Seat, Skoda are fitted with these diesel engines. Do your home work before you purchase.

What harbourmill said. It's just the BXE engines from around 2008 that are at risk. Nothing you can do really. Our car was serviced not long before it blew up. VW deny there's an issue. One day there will be a serious accident as a result of this engine. Don't understand how VW can ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine had a 09 Caddy 1.9 BLS and it happened him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I always get a laugh out of vag diesels being thought of as super cars , 200,000 miles , barely run in baiii!! Lmfao

Terrible to think the cost of these things new and the manufacturer just tells you to get lost when there's a issue. Disgraceful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brosnadog

Same thing happened my wifes 08 passat last week, about a hundred yards from home the car sh*t its self. Conrod through the block. Im to collect it from the garage this evening, cant wait for the bill!
    The web is full of horror stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

FFS the sale of goods act covers you buying a fridge or tv for 6 years, but for the car manuf., how do they get away with it?

Friend has a 2009 520d.

This year it had turbo leak and dreaded timing chain, with dpf or dmf issues too, a 5 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Search long enough and you'll read horror stories about every car & engine ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

FFS the sale of goods act covers you buying a fridge or tv for 6 years, but for the car manuf., how do they get away with it?

Friend has a 2009 520d.

This year it had turbo leak and dreaded timing chain, with dpf or dmf issues too, a 5 year old car.

You buy a fridge or TV you bring it home, plug it in and it does what its meant to do. There is no responsibility on your part for mechanical sympathy or servicing, so a Fridge or TV manufacturer can offer a long term warranty with confidence.

There is no accounting for what kind of Ejit will eventually buy and run the car you make, what kind of fashion they will drive it in (or climate) and what kind of care or lack off they will give the car. Too many variables.

I wonder how many of these X car is crap it failed after X years stories have a hidden story of "I bought X car, never checked it for oil, only bothered to ger it serviced when it started to make a funny noise or stopped working, drove the ring out of it from cold....

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    You buy a fridge or TV you bring it home, plug it in and it does what its meant to do. There is no responsibility on your part for mechanical sympathy or servicing, so a Fridge or TV manufacturer can offer a long term warranty with confidence.

There is no accounting for what kind of Ejit will eventually buy and run the car you make, what kind of fashion they will drive it in (or climate) and what kind of care or lack off they will give the car. Too many variables.

I wonder how many of these X car is crap it failed after X years stories have a hidden story of "I bought X car, never checked it for oil, only bothered to ger it serviced when it started to make a funny noise or stopped working, drove the ring out of it from cold....

Generally speaking I would agree but there is a clear pattern with VW Passats and Golf of the 2008 vintage where the conrod is coming out of the block. All in the same batch of engine (BXE engines - just do a Google search to see). The person I was put in touch with in UK had cataloged over 20 case of the same engine batch with the exact same catastrophic failure. It's nothing to do with checking oil, not getting it serviced etc. Our car was only serviced shortly before it went. There is a clear pattern and I hope one day VW own up to it so I can get my money back. Unlikely, but I follow this thread in hope of one day getting some good news :)

Advertisement