Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas eve pic antics on Facebook

Options
  • 25-12-2013 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice the usual sad ones on FB tonite showing all there little billy or maryann got left at the Xmas tree by Santa.
    Then a certain trend developes where you have others showing there 101 presents wrapped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

My sister just did that and I personally was delighted to see it cos I wont be there in the morning to watch the kids open their presents.
    Some people do it for the benefit of absent family not as bragging rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Even the thought of Facebook makes my skin crawl at this stage.

Can't understand how anyone tolerates it for more than a month.

If you want to share pics with family. Email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Mince Pie wrote: »
    My sister just did that and I personally was delighted to see it cos I wont be there in the morning to watch the kids open their presents., no

All of the ones I seen tonite were all family present

Daqster wrote: »
    Even the thought of Facebook makes my skin crawl at this stage.

Can't understand how anyone tolerates it for more than a month.

If you want to share pics with family. Email them.

Fair enough, you don't like Facebook blah blah blah but its easier to upload the pics for various family members to see rather than trying to remember all the emails to send them to.
    If you don't have FB why are you getting your knickers in a twist about what people are choosing to post.
    If I don't like what I see I just block it. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

There is still absolutely no need to broadcast it.

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    There is still absolutely no need to broadcast it.

So what about every other picture posted? Should we all stop posting or even delete our accounts for fear of "broadcasting"?
    Its social media, effectively everything you do on Facebook is broadcasting to your "friends".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Your not gonna like my thread op, updated it tonight.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056839142

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Mech1 wrote: »
    Your not gonna like my thread op, updated it tonight.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056839142

No good there not wrapped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

So what about every other picture posted? Should we all stop posting or even delete our accounts for fear of "broadcasting"?
    Its social media, effectively everything you do on Facebook is broadcasting to your "friends".

First off, I don't use Facebook and would be happy if everyone went about deleting their accounts in a sort of occult mass digital suicide event.

People who post pictures of themselves getting wrecked on nights out, or effectively in the nip on some beach are making a statement about themselves that they want anyone and everyone to be aware of. This is the kind of thing to broadcast. You and I might not deem it worthy, but the intended distribution is best achieved by broadcasting.

When I want to show my close family pictures of my kids doing this, that or the other, I shouldn't be using a broadcast. What is wrong with email or the like? That kind of "it's on Facebook, take a look!" is very impersonal for what is supposed to be quite personal.

What annoys me is that there are people out there with highly inflated egos that presume everyone cares about trivial occurrences in their mundane, day-to-day lives. Social media turns people into attention whores and cheapens actual human interaction.

Yours,
    The Grinch :o

I've seen this on Facebok a lot tonight alright.

One thing I've noticed is a lack of wrapping paper in the photos. Pretty much everyone has the presents just sitting around randomly.

Unwrapping them is the best part and the excitement of unwrapping the gifts being gone doesn't really seem great to me. Surely if these people can fill their sitting rooms with ludicrous amounts of gifts to spoil their kids, they can afford a couple of rolls of wrapping paper and a bit of sellotape?

Seems like an integral part of the process to me. Waking up on christmas morning and just seeing everything already revealed and unwrapped would be a bit crap in my opinion (but then that's just me, and when i was a child i liked unwrapping the presents.. almost more than I liked the presents themselves). :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

If you don't have FB why are you getting your knickers in a twist about what people are choosing to post..

First of all, I have seen far too many bloody rows over what happens on Facebook, even over things posted by those with nothing but good intentions, to ever feel that the place has anything good about it. Maybe if 20% of the population could be pruned from it, then it might just be worth using, but that will never happen and so it in my opinion, it won't ever be.

Secondly, how did you know I was wearing knickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

I've seen this on Facebok a lot tonight alright.

One thing I've noticed is a lack of wrapping paper in the photos. Pretty much everyone has the presents just sitting around randomly.

Unwrapping them is the best part and the excitement of unwrapping the gifts being gone doesn't really seem great to me. Surely if these people can fill their sitting rooms with ludicrous amounts of gifts to spoil their kids, they can afford a couple of rolls of wrapping paper and a bit of sellotape?

Seems like an integral part of the process to me. Waking up on christmas morning and just seeing everything already revealed and unwrapped would be a bit crap in my opinion (but then that's just me, and when i was a child i liked unwrapping the presents.. almost more than I liked the presents themselves). :(

We put most of the kids pressies in the red sacks this year, but unwrapped as always.
    IMG_0854.jpg

First off, I don't use Facebook and would be happy if everyone went about deleting their accounts in a sort of occult mass digital suicide event.

People who post pictures of themselves getting wrecked on nights out, or effectively in the nip on some beach are making a statement about themselves that they want anyone and everyone to be aware of. This is the kind of thing to broadcast. You and I might not deem it worthy, but the intended distribution is best achieved by broadcasting.

When I want to show my close family pictures of my kids doing this, that or the other, I shouldn't be using a broadcast. What is wrong with email or the like? That kind of "it's on Facebook, take a look!" is very impersonal for what is supposed to be quite personal.

What annoys me is that there are people out there with highly inflated egos that presume everyone cares about trivial occurrences in their mundane, day-to-day lives. Social media turns people into attention whores and cheapens actual human interaction.

Yours,

Well for what it's worth my sister keeps a very tight ship when it comes to Facebook. I don't even post pics of days out with her kids, I send them to her via whatsapp.
    It's not for me to say what people should and shouldn't post and god knows I would like to sometimes.
    Simple fact is, when people post crap that annoys me I delete it or block them.

Mech1 wrote: »
    We put most of the kids pressies in the red sacks this year, but unwrapped as always.
    IMG_0854.jpg

Ah, don't get me wrong, everyone has their way of doing things, but i personally think wrapping adds to the excitement of christmas.

The sacks are good though. They're pretty much the same as wrapping paper (except multiple gifts to each sack I presume?).

Like I say, everyone has their own way, but I just really liked unwrapping when I was a child. Built the suspense a lot and made things memorable. Tearing off the paper and seeing what you got.

Id rather individually wrapped gifts over the sacks, but the sacks are a lot better than the 'everything on show as soon as you walk into the room' approach :)

Hope you have a great christmas by the way. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ah man, ripping open the paper is the best part. I sometimes wrap things I own up during the year just to tear the paper open.

First of all, I have seen far too many bloody rows over what happens on Facebook, even over things posted by those with nothing but good intentions, to ever feel that the place has anything good about it. Maybe if 20% of the population could be pruned from it, then it might just be worth using, but that will never happen and so it in my opinion, it won't ever be.

I'm totally with you on the pruning. Would definitely make it a damn site better assuming we are talking about the ever growing number if morons in there who thankfully I don't have in my own well pruned friends list. It makes my eyes bleed seeing some of the stuff posted in public groups,
    With regards disasters and rows, I've often found that they arose because of other issues already present in relationships and would have come to the surface anyway such as the age old favourite of jealousy. I myself have not had my problems but then I don't act like a dick and don't have issues with my partner being friends with numerous other women. It's called trust.
    I guess judging by the mega thread Facebook status which I have been know to contribute to, it will remain an annoyance to some and also a source of amusement. But for me it's a great way to keep in touch with friends abroad without having to sit down and write a lengthy email periodically.
    I can easily check in on their pics and like them on the go and message when I've got the time.

Please forgive typos, on the phone in bed.

And hell yeah, unwrapping presents is the best bit.
    Wrapping itself though is work of the devil!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

i gave everyone that science test from t'other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Unwrapping is the best bit??

Ye must've got shïte presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Just had a look at my facebook thread, now thankfully many of my friends are just simply wishing their friends and families a Happy Christmas but there are a few who've posted pictures of all the presents they've received either wrapped or unwrapped.

Personally I'd feel like a right knob posting pictures of the gifts I've received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I am not on FB but It seems perfectly normal to post stuff you did, or stuff your kids are doing. It's not "broadcasting" as people choose to follow you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Surely the times where its fashionable to hate Facebook are nearly over, Its an amazing tool when used properly and its social media what do you expect people to be posting. Seems these days no matter what people post someone complains about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

well we saw you wearing your bra to keep those man boobs in check so we just assumeed you wore the matching knickers too

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yours,

I don't like lots of stuff you do, you do it wrong.

Santa does not wrap presents. Sounds like an imposter.

I used to get annoyed about seeing people put baby pictures up on Facebook, until my little nephew came along. He's my first one and lives in England, so I won't be able to see him as much as I would like to. Now I'm absolutely delighted to see photos of him doing, even if they're silly ones, because it means that even though I can't be there with him, I can still be a part of his life somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Talking about sharing photos, my brother recently moved to Australia and we setup a dropbox account for the parents benefit.

Really handy, brother drops photos in and we just need to tell the parents to have the laptop running for a little while and click the folder shortcut I created on the desktop.

Handier than email for sharing lots of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And I thought I was a miserable bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Well for what it's worth my sister keeps a very tight ship when it comes to Facebook. I don't even post pics of days out with her kids, I send them to her via whatsapp.
    It's not for me to say what people should and shouldn't post and god knows I would like to sometimes.
    Simple fact is, when people post crap that annoys me I delete it or block them.

I dislike the volume of kids (some pics is fine, newsfeed flooded with them is not) pics on fb as much as the next man but you sound like a barrell of laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I must be doing Facebook wrong. All I ever see on my feed is crap about businesses. Mostly someone I don't know has liked Coors light or enter some bollix competition to win a pack of baby wipes or something. I've never liked anything ever on Facebook so no idea why they pop up on my feed. Rarely check the thing now.

Advertisement