Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

oldbridge roadworks nearly finished?

• 24-12-2013 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

plenty of work been done at oldbridge the very wide footpath was tarmaced last week looks great, wonder is it a cycle path as well.
    wonder is this the start of the cycleway to navan along the river.

because the new path is so wide it leaves the road very narrow for two way traffic ,just hope people are senseable in cars and trucks dont go bulling there way.

Comments

I'm surprised there aren't more crashes along there to be honest. It's quite tight at the best of times. Narrowing the road certainly doesn't help. You've little or not visibility around the corners there for the most part as it is.

I've cycled, walked and drove that stretch a fair bit, and it's not great fun in any mode of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

I'm surprised there aren't more crashes along there to be honest. It's quite tight at the best of times. Narrowing the road certainly doesn't help. You've little or not visibility around the corners there for the most part as it is.

I've cycled, walked and drove that stretch a fair bit, and it's not great fun in any mode of transport.

should be fine now for walkers and cyclists i think that might be the plan on the very wide path,:)
    im a car driver as well but i always take it easy on that stretch,there was some idiot behind me the other night trying to overtake gob****e .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

There's still a huge amount of work to be completed. None of the boardwalk is done yet bar a few stakes put in the ground.

The road is narrow but the plan was originally to have a one way system in place which a local woman objected to and campaigned against. She also submitted several false objections on behalf of people who don't exist (I know this because the county council post a 'we have received you objection' letter out and I received several over a few weeks to my address). Subsequently, the one way idea was shelved.

I really look forward to it being finished as I walk there quite a bit. I'm just worried that it will attract too much and spoil the serenity a bit.

I've also heard mention of a large playground being planned for the Battle of the Boyne centre.

Scotty # wrote: »
    There's still a huge amount of work to be completed. None of the boardwalk is done yet bar a few stakes put in the ground.

The road is narrow but the plan was originally to have a one way system in place which a local woman objected to and campaigned against. She also submitted several false objections on behalf of people who don't exist (I know this because the county council post a 'we have received you objection' letter out and I received several over a few weeks to my address). Subsequently, the one way idea was shelved.

I really look forward to it being finished as I walk there quite a bit. I'm just worried that it will attract too much and spoil the serenity a bit.

I've also heard mention of a large playground being planned for the Battle of the Boyne centre.
    Hah Theres alway one :D
    i can see her point mind you locals would have to do a fair detour.
    but if car drivers just feckin relax and drive easy all will be fine.amazing but when you get into a car your always in a hurry.
    i love walking and cycling and these new inprovements can only be good,i wonder is that new path for walkers only or will it include cyclists, if both lets hope walkers dont have the same angry attutude as car drivers when it comes to giving cyclists room :(
    lets all get on for 2014 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

After being closed for best part of a year it looks like all the work on the ramparts has been in vain with further mud slides over the new barrier...

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/mudslide-at-the-ramparts-raises-serious-safety-concerns-29939268.html

NWS_20140122_New_005_30360545_I1.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ah balls thats not good at all.

that looks bad for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

This really is going to be an excellent walkway when completed. I walk the road regularly and was always wary of traffic coming around the bends. It wasn't as safe as you'd like. This soon won't be an issue any more. The boardwalk is made of what looks like high quality composite deck. My only fear, hopefully unfounded, is that undesirables will start to vandalise or rob sections of it. It wouldn't be too difficult to do unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. I can see it being a very popular addition to Drogheda, especially in the summer. It's a very scenic walk along the Boyne to Oldbridge.
    Nice to see public funds being used constructively for a change.

E3174F4C-918A-4FF0-99FD-3C349E4DD569.jpg
    4D830DD6-3470-42A5-89A3-61E629DEE0F1.jpg

looks really fantastic but your so right some gurriers are bound to rob some of the boards or hand rails,so cctv cameras might not be a bad idea.
    but we will hope for the best,i walk that way myself, mostly though up by the canal to glenmore or donore stunning walkway but sadly overgrown.

cycled that way yesterday starting to look great, another boardwalk nearer oldbridge house and new road marking down to make motorists aware there not the only ones that use the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

it looks fantastic so far... was out there driving on Sunday.
    Although there are sections of the road that you have to yield to oncoming traffic and where the road is 9' wide... this is gonna cause problems cause there's nowhere else to go bar reversing back!

kormak wrote: »
    it looks fantastic so far... was out there driving on Sunday.
    Although there are sections of the road that you have to yield to oncoming traffic and where the road is 9' wide... this is gonna cause problems cause there's nowhere else to go bar reversing back!

Agreed. Even though there are yield signs, you can't see if a car is coming against you until you have moved forward. The planners didn't use common sense here I'm afraid. I would like to see some street lighting put up also. I'm still imagining sections of the boardwalk being nicked in the dead of night. It's very quiet and anonymous down there (and very dark at night).

Walked it this evening in the sunshine. It's complete. And it's a great addition. It's going to be a popular walk and cycleway.

17300EDA-841C-4008-B25E-BF7010E93A63.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks great, has it been busy along it this summer ?

Advertisement