Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muslim staff can refuse to serve pork or alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would an me bollix wait for another till. I'd wait until that PC twit fecks off to do a job where they don't have to handle the products. Good thing there's no M&S near me, i'd deliberately go there to buy every pork or alcohol related product i wanted, and make the staff change tills.

Why bloody put them on the tills if they can't fulfill all their duties???????

This bloody world pishes me off greatly...

Edit: That article is after really getting under my skin. I'm actually physically angry about it! PC GONE MAD!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Trolley full of sausages and whiskey.

Hate that ****.

If you cant do the job, dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wonder if they'd be happy to take a reduction in salary to mirror their distaste of selling alcohol and pork. How hypocritical are they like? They're happy enough to be employed by one of the biggest sellers of alcohol in Britain.. they should fcuking well leave their dumb beliefs at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Pandering to religions is just stupid. How can we expect this to go away when we give any of them this kind of credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Disappointed in M&S for their stupidity. Where they lead others will follow.

This is more like it actually:

"Meanwhile, Asda bosses have chosen not to allow Muslims who object to handling alcohol to serve customers on checkouts."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

The Daily Mail and Express are great for stories like this.

The readers comments do be great too.....

Crazy idea if true

:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Imagine the uproar if you went to tesco to buy condoms and all the catholic employees refused to sell them to you. But don't say anything about the Islamic faith unless you want to be labelled a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The top comment in that article, where the majority of people in Morocco are Muslim and they have no problems selling pork/alcohol products...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

That's bizarre to be honest. I don't think many Muslims would actually care about serving alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Who dictates that Pork is unclean? The, er, Prophet, Bible etc. Jesus if Harry Potter suggested that wearing underpants is against some obscure Dumbledore's cleanliness code is there a possibility that this could become a mainstream tenet of the dominant Quidditch religion in 3514 ACE?
    Anyone know where the sick bag is please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

My local Tesco has signs above every till if alcohol can served

Though that's for young workers on summer jobs working the tills and they are underage.

Using the signs at least allows you to pick a till. If I had half my shopping scanned through and was was then refused by the worker I think I'd leave it all there and walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If you dont want to sell items that are being sold in a shop then dont work their. Unless you have a disability or some medical condition then you should be able to do the same work as everyone else. I must find a religion that gives me a 3 day weekend if they are giving into this sort of thing. I think the same of Christian doctors who wont give contraception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The top comment in that article, where the majority of people in Morocco are Muslim and they have no problems selling pork/alcohol products...

I vouch for this. Being going there on holidays for over 30 years. Next one in Jan 2015. Roll on the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Imagine the uproar if you went to tesco to buy condoms and all the catholic employees refused to sell them to you.

For those of you who were born within the last 20-25 years and don't know. That happened here in backward little Ireland for long enough. I once went into a sports shop to buy a groin guard/groin protection for a martial arts tournament. The wagon behind the counter didn't know what I was talking about and assumed it was condoms. So she then went into a hysterical frenzy about the Pope, morals blah, blah, blah. It was a whole new level of crazy I had never seen before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

outrage! its like them catholics not allowing you to drink on good friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Imagine the uproar if you went to tesco to buy condoms and all the catholic employees refused to sell them to you. But don't say anything about the Islamic faith unless you want to be labelled a racist

Except that this kinda thing does happen in Ireland, there was a story there recently where someone was refused the pill from her GP, and my girlfriend had been refused medical treatment on religious grounds before also, this is all perfectly legal in Ireland and yet there is no outrage? And being refused health services is quite a bit more serious than being inconvienced for a moment buying your sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

So if you had beer and condoms you'd have to Q twice:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Could you refuse to serve meat on a Friday if you were a particularly devout Christian?

Or, if you're an athiest refuse to sell anything with religious connotations?

How about vegetarians ? I'm pretty offended by killing animals for food but I don't force my employer to ensure there are no ham sandwiches in the canteen fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

I really don't see anything wrong with this. Muslims have a right to have their religion respected in their workplace.

I myself work in Smyths for example and as a member of the Jedi Temple, I refuse to sell stormtroopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

what about the dunnes stores workers who refused to sell south african produce on principle? should they have fecked off and found another job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Good Lord, it's the Daily Mail for ****'s sake.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Good Lord, it's the Daily Mail for ****'s sake.

And? They're reporting a story.

Here's a link to the Telegraph if it makes you feel better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10532782/Muslim-staff-at-Marks-and-Spencer-can-refuse-to-sell-alcohol-and-pork.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

what about the dunnes stores workers who refused to sell south african produce on principle? should they have fecked off and found another job?
    Are Heineken involved in apartheid now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so long as the state isn't forcing m&s to do this then who gives a ****. their business, their rules. if it bothers you shop somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If I had to put up with this garbage in queuing twice over something like this, then that store would lose my custom. I would just shop elsewhere, simple as that. The world is gone mad.

If I had a lot of stuff like food and alcohol and pork, and this happened me at the till, I would just leave all the stuff there and walk out, let them deal with that.

The whole point of the store is to sell it's products, if it has a problem selling them, then they shouldn't be in business. It's their loss when folk refuse to shop there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Arrow. wrote: »

Slightly, but it's still a non-story.

Very simple solutiuon - put a cluase in the contract of all employees stating that they are comfortable handling all products. Tillers who have already signed contracts can stack shelves in areas where they are comfortable handling the produce. Eveybody wins.

From a customer point of view, I'll take the wine, come round and scan it myself. I do that where the facility is avaialable anyway.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,329 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Daily Mail keeps on giving

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Links234 wrote: »
    Except that this kinda thing does happen in Ireland, there was a story there recently where someone was refused the pill from her GP, and my girlfriend had been refused medical treatment on religious grounds before also, this is all perfectly legal in Ireland and yet there is no outrage? And being refused health services is quite a bit more serious than being inconvienced for a moment buying your sausages.

There's plenty of outrage over that =/

There was a thread about it here just a few months ago iirc. It has nothing to do with this thread, though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

There's plenty of outrage over that =/

There was a thread about it here just a few months ago iirc. It has nothing to do with this thread, though

to be related you'd need a story about a muslim who opened a newsagents and was then forced to stock wine and bacon in their store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What if I were uncomfortable serving people with their faces obscured by scaves? What's that? Fired you say?

Advertisement