Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it relatively safe?

Options
  • 21-12-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Once known a stab city, I don't know if it is the case anymore. I am a LC student from Kilkenny hoping to study in UL next year... and to be honest, I am bit concerned about UL.

How is the situation looking there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    Once known a stab city, I don't know if it is the case anymore. I am a LC student from Kilkenny hoping to study in UL next year... and to be honest, I am bit concerned about UL.

Complete bull****. Limerick is like every other city in Ireland, there is always going to be scumbags. The college is well away from these people and you will have little to no interaction with them. Don't let the media cloud your judgement of the city or county.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I spent 10 years in UL. It's one of the safest if not the most beautiful campus in the country. The city can be a bit grim, no worse than Dublin or Waterford, but Castletroy is outside the city.

The scumbag families that gave Limerick it's reputation are now mostly in jail or gave killed enough of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

not uncommon for full scale riots to erupt in Limerick,
    That and drive by shootings and stabbings in broad daylight.
    Don't even get me started on the current rape epidemic gripping our fair city

most people walk around ul in bulletproof vests or with an armed guard if possible.

Seriously don't listen to everything you hear.
    Limericks much safer than most Irish cities on a night on in my opinion - rarely ever see anything like fights..unlike other places I've been too.
    But it does have its rough spots though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Dont worry, as part of your fees you are assigned a 24/7 bodyguard trained in firearms, krav maga and hostage negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

You should also be aware that most UL lecturers cook meth to supplement their income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Anyone else see the drive by shooting outside the Students Union spar yesterday?

Damn rival C&S' at it again!!!:mad::mad: One bullet went straight through my milk carton!!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

I was pushed 5 meters back from the sarcasm blast I have read. Thanks for the info. Ciao :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Limerick like any city/large town has its undesirable areas but you will be fine.
    The University is well away from those area's where many troublesome people reside and the city is fine on a night out but has its issues similar to any city of its size

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Funnily enough, the OP, as a first year in UL, could be considered one of the more undesirable element in Limerick. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Metuhs

Limerick is just as safe as any other big Irish city. I honestly feel safer walking down the backstreets of mid-city Limerick at 1 in the morning than I do walking down the main road of Tralee at the same time. Limerick is fine and the college is far out of the city enough that all the scumbags won't bother you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Went to UL for 4 years (2008-2012) and now I'm back to do a masters, I can 100% say that I have never seen any fights with the exception of two girls getting into a small scrap in the Icon... Trouble is always there in any city if you go looking for it.

UL especially is a very safe campus, it's quite separated from the city in a lot of ways to be honest, which is not always a good thing, I'm sure there are many UL students out there who will easily let weeks go by without venturing into the city as everything they need is out in the nice and cosy environs of Castletroy.

That said, Limerick city has so much to offer and I recommend any student that goes here makes the most of it, especially this year with it being the City of Culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I've been here for five years and at the start was in the same boat as you. I wouldn't be here if it was not safe. The campus is well lit and security is around 24 hours a day not to mention the average students wandering around. After a few weeks you'll be walking around without a care in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

kapisko1PL wrote: »

More chance of getting a dig in the head in Kilkenny, or more than likely from some redneck from Kilkenny in UL. :rolleyes:

Advertisement