Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDTV or Monitor For PS4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gep91

I got a logik 32inch tv from currys HD ready - last year for bout €260

perfect for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

The 32 incher from argos looks good, go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

32 inch from richer sounds lg 100hz led backlit, 250 stg
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/32ln540v/lg-32ln540v
    or http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl32w653a/sony-kdl32w653abu 32 inch handy for playstation with the bravia connect means u can use tv remote to control playstation bit more expensive tho but 200hz £359 tho

if you ask here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105 the lad will give u a full price bud inc delivery or can advise other suitable tvs

But the sammy looks good aswell

Edit if you are thinking of the sony defo check out the set in a sony store.
    when i got my 805 last month the sony store was the best price around my quite a bit(website prices are miles from the instore price)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

As the other poster said the Sony W6 series (32W653) is very good with the PS4. Very low input lag, excellent colours and good black levels.

I would not get hung up on motion processing if you are going to be using the PS4 for gaming mainly because you will be turning off all the image processing to keep lag low (which is what game mode usually does). When gaming the TV is always going to be running at it's native 50hz rate. The W653 for example is supposed to have a 200hz motion rate which is turned on automatically but in game mode it defaults down to 50hz which is what you want. Most mid range Samsung and Panasonic TV's are the same. 50hz native and add motion processing which is handy for reducing blurring in fast moving sports. Not useful for gaming at all to be honest.

You could also go down the monitor route and get something like a Dell Studio s2740l. Excellent colours, even lower input lag then any tv out there, but it's just a monitor, although I find games can look better on monitors over the naturally lower pixel pitch. I'd still stick with a TV for console gaming though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Watch out here OP, I don;t think any of the tvs you linked to there are actually native 100Hz. A few years ago, what you want to buy would have been really clear cut, but in the4 last few years, manufacturers have come up with all sorts of blurb to destroy the term refresh rate. Its all to make the TV appear far better specc'ed than the TV you're actually buying

Take the 32" samsung one you linked to there. Have a look at Samsungs page for that very model

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE32EH5300KXXU

See there they mention "100 Clear Motion Rate". This is utter bo**ox and has nothing to do with the specification of the TV. That tv is actually 50Hz. There is zero mention of "refeesh rate" anywhere on the specification listed for that product. Have a look at this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57598032-221/fake-refresh-rates-is-your-tv-really-120hz/

This refers to the American market (60/120 Hz) as opposed to the EU market (50/100Hz) but you get the idea
    Though Samsung is fantastic at creative marketing ("LED" TV was its thing), it at least doesn't outright call the TVs with the aforementioned tricks "480Hz" refresh. Instead, it has "CMR" or Clear Motion Rate. "Samsung's more comprehensive Clear Motion Rate takes into account all three factors that contribute to motion clarity: panel refresh rate, image processor speed, and backlight technology." In other words, a TV with a CMR of 240 could be a 120Hz panel, with an average processor, and a scanning backlight, or a 60Hz panel, a fancy processor, and a scanning backlight. It's unlikely a TV with a CMR of 240 would be a 240Hz panel, as such an expensive panel would almost certainly come with one or both the other features. Here's an illustration showing how it gets the numbers.

I hate to say it but you're not going to get a tv with a native 100Hz refresh rate for €380

This si not to say to not buy a Samsung TV, I think they make some really nice TV's even though they are trying to rip you off with their Clear Motion Rate. Take this TV:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9158757/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

€100 more but this TV is a native 100Hz panel I think. Note that this TV is rated at 200 Clear Motion Rate. I think this probably means its a 100Hz panel. You really are paying for the privilage though, not only is that TV much more expensive, it also looks to lose the Smart TV capabilities of the other one! Not that this should be an issue though, seeing as you're gonna be using a PS4 with it. The Smart version of the same TV is €570 on Power City, but as you can see, that makes for a pretty expensive 32" TV!

• Advertisement

To be honest, if the OP is going to be using the screen for gaming then if it's a 100hz native panel or 100hz or higher processing will make no difference. In fact running any sort of motion processing will be bad for gaming. His best bet is a mid range Samsung (F6500 or below) or Sony (W653) and run it in game mode. All gaming content is 50hz anyway.

All the Samsung's until you get to the F7000 and F8000 series are native 50hz and use CMR (200 or 400) to bring up the motion rate. Take the F6500, it's a 50hz native panel with 400hz motion processing versus the F8000 which I believe is a 200hz native panel with 1000 hz motion processing. The F6500 (and the lower end F5500) are far superior for gaming by virtue of the fact you can turn off nearly all the motion processing when gaming. You cannot do this to the same degree on the higher end sets. I game on a Sony 46W905 and while it's a native 200hz panel (I guess the high hz is needed for effective 3D); it has 800hz motion processing which I only use watching movies. For gaming I turn all that stuff off. I had a Panasonic LED before the Sony; and I believe that was 200hz native also and had 8X backlight blinking tech to bring the motion rate up to 1600hz which was crazy. All it did for games was make things feel laggy.

The ONLY advantage I can see in going for a native 100hz panel or a panel that has a very high level of motion processing is if you watch a lot of fast moving stuff and need to reduce motion blur. However the trade off, is that it is usually worse for gaming. Even if the OP is going to watch a lot of blu ray movies on the PS4, anything over 50hz is not going to make that much of a difference. Movies are just not fast enough to cause blurring for most people (unless you are used to plasma). Personally I find faster processing to be only a benefit when watching sports or if you are going to spend all day running test screens/calibrating your tv :) For gaming it really has no place.

OP, if you can stretch the budget and really want a good 32 inch for gaming this is what I would get.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/SONY-BRAVIA-KDL32W654ASU-Smart-32-LED-TV/318323/6.9.4

The W654 is exactly the same TV as the more expensive W653 except the bezel is silver instead of black. Ignore the 200hz processing rate. It's a 50hz panel. But 200hz processing is "supposed" to be activated automatically when you select different viewing modes (sports, movie etc..). I had one of these sets for a couple of months and I found it perfect for gaming, and very good for movies too. Noticed no blurring or lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thats a fair point and you are undoubtedly correct if going for a TV for gaming purposes. I'm actually surprised about the F6500 still being 50Hz native refresh. A few years ago, when samsung tv's hit series 6, they were all 100hz native refresh but not anymore I guess

Actually I believe you are correct, the 6500 (and the 6800--same panel with different stand) are in fact native 100hz and CMR brings them up to 400hz. I believe the models below that (6400) are native 50hz with 200hz cmr. And the 7/8 series are native 200hz with 1000hz cmr. Samsung have too many panels. It's confusing. I think there is even one between the 6800 and 7000 which is an older panel (but still in the F series range) but has 600hz cmr..arrgghh.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jdunne08

cadete wrote: »
    32 inch from richer sounds lg 100hz led backlit, 250 stg
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/32ln540v/lg-32ln540v
    or http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl32w653a/sony-kdl32w653abu 32 inch handy for playstation with the bravia connect means u can use tv remote to control playstation bit more expensive tho but 200hz £359 tho

if you ask here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105 the lad will give u a full price bud inc delivery or can advise other suitable tvs

But the sammy looks good aswell

Edit if you are thinking of the sony defo check out the set in a sony store.
    when i got my 805 last month the sony store was the best price around my quite a bit(website prices are miles from the instore price)

I actually just bought that LG TV today! its too big for what I want tho, I was skeptical about buying a 32 inch but at the last minute I decided I would get one but when I took it home and put it on the stand i knew for sure that its too big for gaming, in my opinion. Think Ill be taking it back and getting a 27" full hd tv, 60hx motion rate or else a monitor.

Thanks for your help tho!

Flaccus wrote: »
    As the other poster said the Sony W6 series (32W653) is very good with the PS4. Very low input lag, excellent colours and good black levels.

I would not get hung up on motion processing if you are going to be using the PS4 for gaming mainly because you will be turning off all the image processing to keep lag low (which is what game mode usually does). When gaming the TV is always going to be running at it's native 50hz rate. The W653 for example is supposed to have a 200hz motion rate which is turned on automatically but in game mode it defaults down to 50hz which is what you want. Most mid range Samsung and Panasonic TV's are the same. 50hz native and add motion processing which is handy for reducing blurring in fast moving sports. Not useful for gaming at all to be honest.

You could also go down the monitor route and get something like a Dell Studio s2740l. Excellent colours, even lower input lag then any tv out there, but it's just a monitor, although I find games can look better on monitors over the naturally lower pixel pitch. I'd still stick with a TV for console gaming though.

Thanks for the comment, so I shouldnt get hung up on the motion rate? Ive been reading up about 60hz tvs with a PS4 and the majority says 120hz should be minimum for PS4, I want to get this Samsung 27" full HD TV or A Samsung 27" Monitor but both have only 60HZ, this would be OK?

TV:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/televisions/small-screen-tvs-up-to-32/samsung-lt27c350-27-led-tv-s700bg12x-tv-stand-for-up-to-32-tvs-pn922660-pdt.html

Monitor:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1114122.htm

• Advertisement

I ended up buying a 32" LG 32LN540V for €360 in Harvey Normans, I didnt really want a 32" to begin with as i though it might be too big for gaming at a close distance but I decided to get one in the end. After taking it home and puting it on the TV stand I realised that yeah, its too big for me and Id rather a smaller screen for gaming, so back to the shop I think.

This is what Id like to buy now a Samsung 27" full HD TV or A Samsung 27" Monitor but the 60HZ motion rate is putting me off a bit, would 60hx be OK for PS4? or do i need the 100hz?

TV:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...22660-pdt.html

Monitor:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...er/1114122.htm

or any other recomendations for a monitor, I hear BenQ are meant to be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

the ps4 only runs games up to 60hz anyways tho doesnt it.so even with a 200hz tv wud make no difference games wud still be played at 60hz. my tv is 100hz but skyboxes run at a max of 50hz like most other tv cable companies. ps4 running at 60hz as we speak. dont know much about tvs but wouldnt that mean any tv above 60 hz wont make a difference?

Basically lots games this gen will try and hit 60fps and that will be a tall ask at 1080P res. The signal output from consoles into your TV will therefore always be 50hz/60hz for games. You will see NO benefit in gaming with a TV that is either native 100hz/200hz or uses motion interpolation to achieve 100hz+. In the latter case you will end up with input lag. So get a 50hz/60hz tv for gaming. You only see the benefit of a faster panel with 3D and fast moving action where the panel's motion interpolation makes blurring less noticeable. So when the PS4 supports 3D Blu Ray and/or you watch lots sports, then yeah, a 100hz plus panel is a benefit. But not for gaming.

Also it's important to distinguish between a native 100hz/200hz TV and these PC gaming monitors with speeds of up to 144hz. In the case of the TV it's either natively outputting a 100hz/200hz image or it's using motion interpolation (adding frames and/or using backlight blinking) to achieve this output. But the input from your console is still 50/60hz. The 144hz PC gaming monitor is a different kettle fish. It's actually processing a 144hz image from your PC. This is also why 120hz/144hz pc gaming monitors are a waste on consoles as the console only outputs a 50/60hz image. Having said that for up close gaming, you can't beat a pc monitor. Simply because the pixel pitch is so low the jaggies don't look as jaggy; and some PC screens have almost no input lag.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Basically lots games this gen will try and hit 60fps and that will be a tall ask at 1080P res. The signal output from consoles into your TV will therefore always be 50hz/60hz for games. You will see NO benefit in gaming with a TV that is either native 100hz/200hz or uses motion interpolation to achieve 100hz+. In the latter case you will end up with input lag. So get a 50hz/60hz tv for gaming. You only see the benefit of a faster panel with 3D and fast moving action where the panel's motion interpolation makes blurring less noticeable. So when the PS4 supports 3D Blu Ray and/or you watch lots sports, then yeah, a 100hz plus panel is a benefit. But not for gaming.

Also it's important to distinguish between a native 100hz/200hz TV and these PC gaming monitors with speeds of up to 144hz. In the case of the TV it's either natively outputting a 100hz/200hz image or it's using motion interpolation (adding frames and/or using backlight blinking) to achieve this output. But the input from your console is still 50/60hz. The 144hz PC gaming monitor is a different kettle fish. It's actually processing a 144hz image from your PC. This is also why 120hz/144hz pc gaming monitors are a waste on consoles as the console only outputs a 50/60hz image. Having said that for up close gaming, you can't beat a pc monitor. Simply because the pixel pitch is so low the jaggies don't look as jaggy; and some PC screens have almost no input lag.

Thanks for all the info, it's really helpful. Can you recommend any monitor? 200-300€

I've looked around a bit more and I've thinking of either this 27"LG TV or a 27" BenQ monitor, which would you get?

LG 27MA43D HDTV:
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/LG-27MA43D-27-LED-TV/318929/6.10

BenQ GL2750HM Monitor:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/24-inches-and-above/benq-benq-gl2750hm-lcd-monitor-27-1920-x-1080-tn-300-cd-m2-1200-1-12000000-1-dynamic-2-ms-hdmi-dvi-d-vga-speakers-glossy-black/11374153-a.html

I had that BenQ monitor you linked to. Good for gaming but I returned it as the colours tended to wash out and it was unevenly lit. Noticeable when watching movies only and this is a trait on monitors that use TN film tech, especially in the larger sizes. But it was grand for games. If gaming is your main thing on PS4 then I would go with that since panels based on IPS or AMVA tech (while have better colour accuracy), won't be as good for gaming as the BenQ you linked to. And avoid 120hz/144hz PC screens as they will give ZERO benefit for PS4 or consoles in general.

Advertisement