Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-12-2013, 11:37   #1
Bactidiaryl
Closed Account

Threading a cable through 3/4 inch pipe.

I have a run of about 60 metres of light cable to bury. I was goin to put it in 3/4 water pipe. Any tips to what is the best material to lead it through without kinking. I could cut and join at intervals.
Advertisement
04-12-2013, 11:47   #2
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bactidiaryl View Post
I have a run of about 60 metres of light cable to bury. I was goin to put it in 3/4 water pipe. Any tips to what is the best material to lead it through without kinking. I could cut and join at intervals.
Orange builders line - a couple of euro and then you won't have to worry about kinks. Roll out the line. Cut a v shaped slit about 1ft from the start of the pipe. Tie the end of line around a piece of tissue and stuff it into the pipe through the slit. Put the end of the pipe to the exhaust of the car/van/jeep/tractor and hold it there. Get someone to give it a good rev and hey presto you'll see the line run through it and out the other end .
04-12-2013, 11:48   #3
Muckit

Are you burying it? You are better off treading it through yellow drainage pipe. Water can get away yet the pipe will protect the cable.

Water will only condense in hydradare and could rot cable in time, causing you problems down the road.
04-12-2013, 11:58   #4
onyerbikepat

You could also use fishing line and a heavy weight like a chsiel if it fits and just walk along the pipe lifting it up and allowing the chisel to fall down and forward as you go along.
(3) thanks from:
04-12-2013, 12:18   #5
monseiur

Quote:
Firstly 60m. is a fair distance for a '' light cable'' It all depends on what you're powering with it of course, but bear in mind that there will be considerable volt droppage over this distance. The cable will more than likely over heat and you will have MCB's & ELCB's etc. tripping constantly and the obvious danger of fire.
If it's a permanent supply I would strongly advice you to forget the water pipe and light cable and use the correct size SWA cable instead. It's a special cable for use underground and you don't need to put it in a pipe or duct. It will work out slightly dearer but you will save in the long run. You will have to bury it the required depth underground and run a marking tape 300mm approx. over it. The tape is to alert future excavators of the cable below.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2013, 14:32   #6
Bactidiaryl
Closed Account

It's cat5 cable for a camera system I'm setting up. House is about 60 yds from yard and I'm bringing the broadband to the yard and will wire the cameras from there. It will also be handy to have the broadband at the yard.some good ideas there guys. I like the one with the fishing line. I might try that. Also as extra protection I will use outdoor cat5 cable. And if it gets tricky I can always make the run two 30s and join.
04-12-2013, 14:36   #7
PureBred

Is yard on same power supply as house. Homeplugs much better job!
Thanks from:
04-12-2013, 15:44   #8
Bactidiaryl
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBred View Post
Is yard on same power supply as house. Homeplugs much better job!
It's not. Anyway what's homeplugs?
04-12-2013, 15:50   #9
A2LUE42

Quote:
It's not. Anyway what's homeplugs?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ne%2Caps%2C209

Pity they are not on the same power supply. This would save you some amount of work..
Advertisement
04-12-2013, 15:54   #10
blue5000

Similar to exhaust method, use a compressor and builders line.
04-12-2013, 17:05   #11
Muckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue5000 View Post
Used your method before. Thanks for the tip
04-12-2013, 17:47   #12
Bog Man 1

You can buy corrugated conduit with a fish line in it and use the fish line to pull a bigger rope through it . You can lubricate the wire so it goes through handier and I think there is a product that is not oil based so will not harm the insulation . Do not let anyone sees you putting a pipe to the exhaust of the jeep or you will be spending Christmas in a big house surrounded by nurses .
04-12-2013, 17:57   #13
keep going

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue5000 View Post
Or vacumn with a shoping bag at the other end
04-12-2013, 18:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep going View Post
Or vacumn with a shoping bag at the other end
Ya I've used this method. Vacuum a piece of string with a tiny bit of plastic on the end. Used string to pull a decent rope through and then used that to pull the cable.

Check out the cable pulling knot here
http://sourcery.blogspot.ie/2007/07/...th-string.html

Just using electrical tape does not work.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion