Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-11-2013, 19:10   #1
DMBFan

Connemarathon 2014

Hi there, looking to do my first Marathon early next year. Currently running up to 23k in about 2hr25. My Question is- Is the Connemarathon a bit too tough to do as my first marathon. I'd like to do one that has a lot of participants so my chances of being paddy last may not be that high and I don't find myself alone on the course.
Thanks for any feedback
Advertisement
27-11-2013, 19:48   #2
Krusty_Clown

Send a message via AIM to Krusty_Clown
Connemarathon is fine for a first marathon, as long as you are not too focused on achieving a good time. Based on your time for 23k (assuming you're running at easy pace), you'd currently looking at a 4:30 - 5 hour marathon. Looking at the results, that would put you around 500th out of 674 runners.
Thanks from:
27-11-2013, 21:12   #3
DMBFan

Thanks for that, yeah not looking to break any records but was hoping to hit the 4hr mark- think I need to speed up a bit though.
27-11-2013, 21:18   #4
Hades11

Connemarathon is a great event, possibly one of the most scenic you could ever do. One thing to consider is that because of the remote location there are very few supporters lining the course to cheer you on. My first marathon was belfast and i have to say that the roar of the crowd really did help when i was finding it tough.
Thanks from:
27-11-2013, 22:25   #5
DMBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades11 View Post
Connemarathon is a great event, possibly one of the most scenic you could ever do. One thing to consider is that because of the remote location there are very few supporters lining the course to cheer you on. My first marathon was belfast and i have to say that the roar of the crowd really did help when i was finding it tough.
Thanks, didn't think to check NI race calendars, just looking it up now and I'm definately considering it- Was originally deciding between Connemarathon, Run Kildare or Limerick. Decisions decisions... it would also mean I have 4 more weeks to work on my speed and stamina
Advertisement
27-11-2013, 22:27   #6
ThebitterLemon

Cork in June would probably have better crowd support that the others you have mentioned.

TbL
(2) thanks from:
27-11-2013, 22:49   #7
DMBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThebitterLemon View Post
Cork in June would probably have better crowd support that the others you have mentioned.

TbL
Thanks, too many to choose from now! Need to do a bit of research on this one. I want to register before end of year, first step to my New Years resolution - complete a marathon.
28-11-2013, 07:29   #8
fruit salad
Closed Account

I'm torn between signing up for the Connemarathon half in April or to go for the Tralee half St. Patricks weekend. I'm from Tralee and doing the 10 miler in February so wouldn't mind seeing some new scenery for my first half marathon. Then depending how I get on push on for the Cork or Derry full in June. If anyone has any feedback on the Derry marathon that'd be great also.

I'm thinking of waiting until I have the 10 mile in February to decide. Would the Connemarathon be likely to sell out before this point?

Last edited by fruit salad; 28-11-2013 at 07:33.
28-11-2013, 10:33   #9
roro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit salad View Post
I'm thinking of waiting until I have the 10 mile in February to decide. Would the Connemarathon be likely to sell out before this point?
Yes - early-mid january usually. But I think I read here that Derry sells out very quickly too.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2013, 11:50   #10
TFBubendorfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit salad View Post
Yes, it will almost certainly be sold out by then.
Thanks from:
28-11-2013, 17:04   #11
fruit salad
Closed Account

Thanks guys. .

Has Has given me a kick up the bum and decide which one to go for! Will decide in the next few weeks and get on it
29-11-2013, 12:28   #12
statss

After much debating like yourself around this time last year I eventually decided to do this as my first marathon. You'll be absolutely fine, there's only 2 "hard" parts, around miles 12-13 and at the end around 22-24. You won't be alone on the course either as you'll meet the back end of half marathon field during the second half of the race as they start later than the full, halfway along the course.
Thanks from:
29-11-2013, 13:54   #13
Outside

It was my first marathon back in 2012! No parking at the start so your shipped out from Galway City in loads of buses. It actually add's to the build up, you end up sitting right beside fellow marathoners and get to share the nerves. On the way back then you get to hear all the stories, good and bad, first hand. Careful with drinking too much water before the bus out though, it's approx 1hr out and it's a long time to wait if you drank waaaay too much water like I did!

For the record I went on to do it again this year and plan to do it again in 2014!

It's def a PB course for you if you finish! Hill isn't too bad, some spectacle to see the row of color winding it's way up ahead through the heart of Connemara, very pretty.

Enjoy!
Thanks from:
29-11-2013, 20:31   #14
DMBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by statss View Post
After much debating like yourself around this time last year I eventually decided to do this as my first marathon. You'll be absolutely fine, there's only 2 "hard" parts, around miles 12-13 and at the end around 22-24. You won't be alone on the course either as you'll meet the back end of half marathon field during the second half of the race as they start later than the full, halfway along the course.
The Connemara one or Belfast? Were you running for long and often before you decided to go for the full? I'm running just a year- usually go at my own pace. I'm far from a sprinter. Started running to keep fit and then just increased my distance and frequency. I run on my own, and have just been introduced to boards and reading through many of these type of threads- feeling a little overwhelmed now actually.... - lots of jargon and abbreviations I never heard of before!! I normally just log my runs on map my run and compare total times and distance.
I've never actually read up on running before- looks like there's a lot more to running than just running...
29-11-2013, 20:40   #15
DMBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside View Post
It was my first marathon back in 2012! No parking at the start so your shipped out from Galway City in loads of buses. It actually add's to the build up, you end up sitting right beside fellow marathoners and get to share the nerves. On the way back then you get to hear all the stories, good and bad, first hand. Careful with drinking too much water before the bus out though, it's approx 1hr out and it's a long time to wait if you drank waaaay too much water like I did!

For the record I went on to do it again this year and plan to do it again in 2014!

It's def a PB course for you if you finish! Hill isn't too bad, some spectacle to see the row of color winding it's way up ahead through the heart of Connemara, very pretty.

Enjoy!
Ok, I'm convinced- I think. My 20week schedule started Monday, but I know I will miss days here and there, especially Christmas week... Will sign up Jan 1st.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion