Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus (1.6 tdci) - Limp Mode

Options
  • 20-11-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Long time lurker, first time poster!!
    I have a 05 ford focus (1.6 tdci) which is giving a bit of bother. The car has 175k on it (turbo and engine reconditioned after 120K miles). Two nights ago I started the car and the engine maintenance light (orange came on).
    Got the car into the garage the next day and when the mechanic started the car the light wouldn’t come on (started the car a few times). I asked to get a diagnostic done to see what the fault was logged as. Anyhow 15 mins later they cleared all the faults but one. They said that turbo pipe was split (I could hear a faint whistling at 70 mph) but the car was also gone into limp mode. They are replacing the turbo pipe but couldn’t guarantee that the car will come out of limp mode.
    Anyone have any thoughts about this? I felt it was a bit strange (or just bad luck) that the car suddenly went into limp mode while they were running their diagnostics (I had done approx 60 miles on the car with the light on).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭88manta

Can you post the fault codes that were recorded and the one that they couldn't reset

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Will try and get them this evening. Have a feeling that the only code they recorded is the one they couldnt clear.

Dont fancy having to shell out good money after bad, considering the mileage!

So just off the phone with the Garage.

1. New turbo pipe has been fitted but car is still in limp mode
    2. No fault is registered
    3. They rang a main dealer and they never heard of it before

Is there any reset that can be done?

Any suggestions folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

they probably werent using a ford machine , i would take a bet the glow plugs are gone as this does not show on most generic testers, alot of mechanics ignor e the glow plug fault codes as they cant figure out what it has to do with the car not boosting , but they are used as part of the egr system and when even 1 goes down the car is in limp mode , if the glow plugs are ok , get him to check the turbo control valve on the rear of the engine above the drive shaft, this also does not show up on generic fault code reader,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

What part of the country are you in op?

• Advertisement

ford jedi wrote: »
    they probably werent using a ford machine , i would take a bet the glow plugs are gone as this does not show on most generic testers, alot of mechanics ignor e the glow plug fault codes as they cant figure out what it has to do with the car not boosting , but they are used as part of the egr system and when even 1 goes down the car is in limp mode , if the glow plugs are ok , get him to check the turbo control valve on the rear of the engine above the drive shaft, this also does not show up on generic fault code reader,

Thanks FJ, car is being brought to a main dealer today to get a diagnostic run. Like you said hopefully its something simple like a glow plug! As long as it is not a turbo issue I am not too worried. I wouldnt replace one again. The mechanics I use are very competent and I wont let this put me off going back again. Maybe I should invest in a diagnostic tester of my own?

I do a lot of mileage so this car is coming to the end of its life span with me (was hoping to get 200k miles out of it). Only one major issue so far.

One last question FJ (or anyone), I have never replenished the DPF (have put 135k miles on the car since). Is it worthwhile replenishing if no errors are showing?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

A few months ago my 04 Focus TDCi went into limp mode. Got a DT done in a Ford dealers and found out two injectors were fcuked. Got them replaced and the car was 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

it could also be dpf related but these fault codes usually show up straight away , so if your mechanic was gettin no codes wouldnt imagine its the dpf, and to be honest most cars would be on there 2nd dpf by the milege you have so i would say it has been removed somewhere along the line, sure let us know what they come back with. what end of the world are u based

ford jedi wrote: »
    it could also be dpf related but these fault codes usually show up straight away , so if your mechanic was gettin no codes wouldnt imagine its the dpf, and to be honest most cars would be on there 2nd dpf by the milege you have so i would say it has been removed somewhere along the line, sure let us know what they come back with. what end of the world are u based

Well.. Glow plugs were the problem. All four were gone. A lesson learned. Thanks for the info! !!
    I think the dpf was replenished when the turbo/engine recon was done. Never copped. I only do long journeys in the car so thought I might get away with it. Am in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

rabwaygal wrote: »

One last question FJ (or anyone), I have never replenished the DPF (have put 135k miles on the car since). Is it worthwhile replenishing if no errors are showing?

No, if it's fine, leave it be. It will ping errors when the eloys fluid needs to be changed.

If your doing the type of driving that suits a DPF (sustained mid-high RPM, motorway driving usually) it will be fine. It's short drives that do not build up the temprature needed to regenerate is what causes problems with the DPF. A couple of miles in 4th on the motorway will keep it good. ;)

• Advertisement

Folks,

The codes fault codes which came up were P2279 (Intake Air System Leak) and P138B (Glow Plugs).

P2279 was only one identified in the independent garage, P138B was noted at the main dealer.

Hopefully this might be of help to someone some day who is in a similar situation.

Advertisement