Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Gigs 2014

Options
  • 19-11-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Given the announcement from Scotland in the past few minutes that Artic Monkeys will be one of the headliners at T in the Park next July it's pretty safe to assume they will headline a night a Phoenix Park.

Any thoughts on other potential headliners?

I'm putting Foo Fighters and Kings of Leon into the frame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Tickets for Finsbury Park are going on sale this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Tickets for Finsbury Park are going on sale this week too.

Hoping to bag myself tickets for Finsbury Park. Was there last year for Stone Roses, great place for outdoor gigs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Might go see AM if it happens. Also didnt play an arena show, so would make sense to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Hoping to bag myself tickets for Finsbury Park. Was there last year for Stone Roses, great place for outdoor gigs!!

Really? I'm trying to figure out where the concert site is on google but I'm not having much luck*

*I am stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Hopefully it's better than this year anyway. They went for the softest sounding bands and singers, presumably after what happened the year before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

I'm putting Foo Fighters and Kings of Leon into the frame.

All we need is RHCP and they can call it the "loyalty card" tour. Each band gets a free sub sandwich and a coffee. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Would'nt rule out Pearl Jam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Pearl jam are coming to Europe this summer. Real possibility it'll be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Tickets on sale on their website atm, got a few there this morning. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Foo Fighters would be cool seen as how I missed them last time they played Oxegen.

• Advertisement

Looks somewhat likely that the Phoenix Park gigs are being moved to Marlay Park this year!!

Thoughts on this?

I'm guessing we're looking at reduced capacity at Marlay Park.

Possibly an extra gig or two for the Aviva!!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

Looks somewhat likely that the Phoenix Park gigs are being moved to Marlay Park this year!!

Thoughts on this?

I'm guessing we're looking at reduced capacity at Marlay Park.

Possibly an extra gig or two for the Aviva!!

No difference in capacity and Marley is a much better venue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

colmufc wrote: »

But Marlay Park is much harder to get to than Phoenix Park.

But Marlay Park is much harder to get to than Phoenix Park.

Well that's just not true , if your a dub then you show know how to get there by bus ,I'm not a dub but know how to and if your driving it's a dream as it's just off the M50 ,it's also less likely to have scum and druggies hanging around outside
    Phoenix Park is a nightmare from the above mentioned scum to the 50min walk from hueston station to the venue to the fact that dublin bus don't even bother with it anymore

The Phoenix Park gigs in 2012 & 2013 had a 45,500 capacity.

Marlay Park I imagine will be between 5,000-10,000 less than that!

The Phoenix Park gigs in 2012 & 2013 had a 45,500 capacity.

Marlay Park I imagine will be between 5,000-10,000 less than that!

Depends on where the stage is either top of the hill (35,000) or bottom near the trees (40 to 45,000, capacity has noting to do with which venue is better anyway and for me and everyone I know Marley is streets ahead, I Brough the girlfriend to Florence and the machine and snow patrol in 2012 ,we got parking in the special needs area as she was on crutches and it was a 15 min walk to the venue from there the set up in Marley is much better

Depends on where the stage is either top of the hill (35,000) or bottom near the trees (40 to 45,000, capacity has noting to do with which venue is better anyway and for me and everyone I know Marley is streets ahead, I Brough the girlfriend to Florence and the machine and snow patrol in 2012 ,we got parking in the special needs area as she was on crutches and it was a 15 min walk to the venue from there the set up in Marley is much better

I fully agree that Marlay Park is a better venue, I never once said it wasn't.

I was only raising the issue regarding capacity and nothing else!!

I fully agree that Marlay Park is a better venue, I never once said it wasn't.

I was only raising the issue regarding capacity and nothing else!!

Sorry, I'm new to this I thought you were the same person going on about phoneix park being better
    Anyway I see there charging€61 for Marley park but if memory serves it was €59 for phoneix park I'm sure they won't be out of pocket ,
    Bring on the arctic monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Well that's just not true , if your a dub then you show know how to get there by bus ,I'm not a dub but know how to and if your driving it's a dream as it's just off the M50 ,it's also less likely to have scum and druggies hanging around outside
    Phoenix Park is a nightmare from the above mentioned scum to the 50min walk from hueston station to the venue to the fact that dublin bus don't even bother with it anymore

What if you don't drive or want to have a few drinks? The public transport back from Marlay Park has never been great.

What if you don't drive or want to have a few drinks? The public transport back from Marlay Park has never been great.

There is a bus service beside the car park that brings you back to the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Marlay is awful for getting to/from. At least in the Phoenix Park you can just walk 30mins to the Luas stop, or another 15mins to O'Connell bridge. Leaving Marlay is a cluster**** as all the buses are wedged and taxis are scarce enough. Pretty much no parking worth talking about either.

As a venue, it's completely bog standard. It's a field with nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Marlay is awful for getting to/from. At least in the Phoenix Park you can just walk 30mins to the Luas stop,
    35 minute walk from Marlay to Balally Luas stop

http://goo.gl/maps/yoOol

Marlay is awful for getting to/from. At least in the Phoenix Park you can just walk 30mins to the Luas stop, or another 15mins to O'Connell bridge. Leaving Marlay is a cluster**** as all the buses are wedged and taxis are scarce enough. Pretty much no parking worth talking about either.

As a venue, it's completely bog standard. It's a field with nothing else.

It has a full car park and bus depot at the back of the wooded area , thousands of cars and ay least 100 dublin buses ,I honestly don't know what venue you have been to but it's easily the beat outdoor venue in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I parked no problem at Marley Park on the Saturday of Longitude. Buses were fairly easy as well. Just packed with excited revellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

It has a full car park and bus depot at the back of the wooded area , thousands of cars and ay least 100 dublin buses ,I honestly don't know what venue you have been to but it's easily the beat outdoor venue in the country
    Those buses are laid on specially for the concert, just as there are ones that are laid on specially for the Phoenix Park.

The regular dublin buses are absolutely packed coming to and from Marlay Park. Going out there at 2pm for Longitude several buses were already full before O'Connell St. On 1 of the days of Longitude I left 40mins before the end and the bus was already full at the stop before Marlay Park.

There most certainly isn't thousands of car spots, and when concerts are on people are advised not to park as the spaces are extremely limited.

For as long as I can remember people have been complaining about getting to/from Marlay Park and having been to about 10 gigs there in the last 7 or 8 years, this is still the case.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I remember going to Kasabian in Marlay and went to get one of the shuttle busses MCD had put on for the day but they didnt say "you had to buy a bus ticket before" since most times ive gotten them buses there was a ticket booth there to buy your ticket on the day . So when we got there we were told no you had to pre-book them and then got on the 16??? bus to Marlay but took us nearly over an hour to get to because we got stuck in traffic.

Luckily ill have a cousins house across the road to stay in for any Marlay Park gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kwat

I wonder is it safe to say there won't be any Phoenix park gigs this year? especially seeing as another Marley gig was announced today

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

After looking at the announcements already made, I'm starting to agree that PP gigs have been moved to Marley. I lived within walking distance to PP so that was quite handy, Marleys location would put me off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Celtise wrote: »
    After looking at the announcements already made, I'm starting to agree that PP gigs have been moved to Marley. I lived within walking distance to PP so that was quite handy, Marleys location would put me off a bit.

It's a bus away. Because it's not across the road puts you Off?.. People from counties far away will go..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It's a bus away. Because it's not across the road puts you Off?.. People from counties far away will go..

I said it would put me off A BIT. It was handy living close by the venue for pre/post parties and keeping everyone together more. It helped make the weekend.

Advertisement