Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infra-Red Heating--Be Warned !!!

Options
  • 16-11-2013 12:05pm

My Partners parents have infra-red heating in a few rooms in their house Germany and I have to say I was not impressed.

I was over in May and it was like winter it was shockingly cold for that time of year. I found you had to be on top of them or in direct line to get warm but the room was cool. While they output heat it's not heat like a normal heater they don't really heat the air. They are nice to stand directly in front of.

They had one in the sitting room and had to get rid of it for a storage heater.

They have 13 KWp solar on the roof and their thinking was to use as little as possible and export as much as possible, the German feed-in-tariffs are pretty generous over there.

Infra-red heating may have it's uses for very small rooms where you might be close to the heater at all times, but I found that it doesn't heat the air much.

But in my honest opinion I'd have nothing to do with infra-red heating, imo it's a con. They were very expensive heaters and now they use the wood stove when it's very cold as the infra-red heaters in the hall are useless.

So my advice is if you want heat and it has to be electric, then buy normal storage heaters.

I could see infra-red heaters as being very inefficient for the simple reason being I don't think they can heat a room properly so your thermostat will never see the set temp so the heater will always be on. Could my thinking be wrong there ?

My Partners parents would have been better off to externally insulate the house so they would have needed much less heat. But I don't think they could have afforded that along with solar PV.

It will be interesting to see the results on how much they will have spent on electricity and how much if at all they are in profit, it could end up paying back in a very short time and after that they are laughing. With very tiny energy costs, what they generate in excess in summer they will buy back at night rate in winter.

They can generate over 70 kwh on a good sunny day, that's enough for 250 miles driving in an electric car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The way infra red heaters work is what ever it hits it heats. Its perfect for places like smoking shelters as a radiator or fire would cost a fortune and just go up to the sky.

Never heard of someone trying to heat a house with it. Mad idea imo

corkgsxr wrote: »
    The way infra red heaters work is what ever it hits it heats. Its perfect for places like smoking shelters as a radiator or fire would cost a fortune and just go up to the sky.

Never heard of someone trying to heat a house with it. Mad idea imo

Yes but I'd imagine those heaters in smoking areas are a good few kw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Yes but I'd imagine those heaters in smoking areas are a good few kw ?

One or 2 I think.

Still a fair few kw, but good for directional use which is good for outdoor smoking areas.

nielandrew wrote: »
    hi,

I read your information in the post and from the research i have done, it is correct far infrared heating panels do not heat air. But, thats not a con its a pro....

Reason.... The conventional heaters heat the air...making the hot air move upwards pushing the cold air down. At any given point of time, the heat in the top part of the room will be 3 degree to 4 degree more than the lower part of the room. Thats energy loss!!! Again, the constant movement of air due to hot air going and cold air coming down, moves the dust particles in the room along with the air, which is quite not good for health.

Again, the far infrared rays penetrates the skin and have good medical benefit. This proved to be true as my friend who has brought this vouch for the medical benefit of the panel.

Finally the cost... that is absolutely right in what you have written...Its expensive!!!! I was hoping to find it cheaper,,,but that remains a dream. The lowest cost I got was from www.infraheat.ie with the following price list:

500 watts (Design pattern panel) - € 369 (Inclusive of Vat)
    800 watts (Design pattern panel) - € 430 (Inclusive of Vat)
    1000 watts (Design pattern panel) - € 490 (Inclusive of Vat)

If anyone can find a better pricing for the designed panels please let me know.

This sounds like you're selling for them ???

I guarantee if my Partners parents thought they were good they would not have changed the one in the sitting room for a storage heater or use the wood stove to compensate for the one in the hall.

If directly in front of them 2-3 feet away they might be reasonable but I'd imagine for a sitting room you'd need a pretty powerful one.

I can't imagine I'd find a house comfortable where you'd have to be in front of the heater the whole time and all the cool spots around the house. I wouldn't like it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nielandrew

hi,

I got into trouble with the editorial team for writing the last message as they too felt that I am selling this. I am not associated with any of the sellers of the heating panel.

The reason why I gave that message was due to my experience of the heating panel. What I learned from my research was that one panel will not be enough for a bigger room. The heating panel in my friends bedroom (Yes, the room is not too big) it was really warm though its not placed towards the bed. The major issue with the panel is the cost, its very expensive and I am hoping to find that cheaper.

They are too expensive and because they are not storage heaters you'll end up paying the full 19C /kwh price making them expensive to run because in my experience you'll need a much more powerful one for the room size.

My partners parents were told by a few people that the panels they got were the best on the market, which I'm sure they were, but I certainly was not impressed.

As I said if you are sitting very close to a panel and you're the only person in the room then maybe it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I'm interested in more reviews of these heaters, saw them at Ideal Homes Show and thought they could be good. Disappointed to hear the feedback so far here as would look a lot neater than rads.

If they don't heat as well as rads I'm not sure what the point is now. I got an instant quote from http://infraheat.ie/ and approx. €4000 for heaters for whole house and then installation, 7 rooms heating 80msq with house BER D or lower. I think I could get central heating with gas installed for €6000 so not that big a saving. Running costs according to http://infraheat.ie/ for my size house €75 a month - €900 a year. According to bonkers.ie I could heat my home based on average consumption for €850 a year.

Haven't a figure for on going costs of maintaining gas central heating, any idea?

So what's the advantage of infrared? Would still like to have them if they worked well and were economical!

I'm interested in more reviews of these heaters, saw them at Ideal Homes Show and thought they could be good. Disappointed to hear the feedback so far here as would look a lot neater than rads.

If they don't heat as well as rads I'm not sure what the point is now. I got an instant quote from http://infraheat.ie/ and approx. €4000 for heaters for whole house and then installation, 7 rooms heating 80msq with house BER D or lower. I think I could get central heating with gas installed for €6000 so not that big a saving. Running costs according to http://infraheat.ie/ for my size house €75 a month - €900 a year. According to bonkers.ie I could heat my home based on average consumption for €850 a year.

Haven't a figure for on going costs of maintaining gas central heating, any idea?

So what's the advantage of infrared? Would still like to have them if they worked well and were economical!

Can you get oil installed ? A leas you don't have that bloody rental even if you don't use it !

Or spend the money on proper insulation, windows etc.

Or if you got electric heating install solar to help off set some of the costs of the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Oil - don't really have room for a tank, isn't gas cheaper?

• Advertisement

Even if gas is cheaper per kWh, you still got that rental which adds up.

In the summer when I need no heat, I pay nothing.

If your on electric heating then better insulating is the only real way to save.

Think about it, you spend 4 k to install infrared heating, the savings are only the difference between your existing heating and the new and with the same insulating .

If you're in the sticks you may be able to install a wind turbine to power the heating and in Ireland this could be a very good way to save on energy in the long run, you got to think 20+ years.

Wind turbines are expensive and solar is much cheaper though here you'll get the most from wind but solar still has potential in the long summer days.

You could generate a lot more kWh per year with a 3 kw turbine than a 5 kw solar. But the renewable companies should be able to tell you what you should expect to produce on average a year though it can vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

I am also disappointed to hear the negative feedback.

I was looking at the sunswiss models for my ensuite bathroom.

I will see if I can get to there showroom.

I'd be weary of demos, first off, you may stand close to the panel and say, this is nice heat and you may or may not realise they also might have tradional heating running somewhere so you might think that they're great heaters.

I can't imagine a 1 kw heater of infrared panels heating a room much better than a conventional heater of the same wattage and I certainly can't see them beingg better at less wattage.

Perhaps your control systems are inadequate to begin with if you have an old electric heating system ?

Maybe your old heating only has a thermostat for one room and the rest of the heating in the house is dictated by that one thermostat, meaning the rest of the heaters are on a lot more than they need to be burning a lot more kWh especially if the heaters are more powerful than they need to be. This goes for oil or gas too.

In so many houses in Ireland I laughably see just one thermostat in the hall near the front door and not even a rad in the hall so the rest of the house will bake before the heat turns off !

If someone really wants to give infrared heating panels a go then only get one for one room first to try it out and get the kWh rating of it because if it's close to traditional electric heating then what's the point ? And the infra red panels are very expensive compared to a normal decent electric heater with proper room thermostats.

More insulation and better windows and doors is the way to go rather than spend more money to loose the same heat. You'd be surprised of the amount of A rated windows that are pure dirt and the A rating actually means nothing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

To me, infrared heating doesn't make a lot of sense if you're trying to make a house warm and cozy by heating the air.
    Infrared will heat whatever solid objects it's shining on and won't really heat the air much at all.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    To me, infrared heating doesn't make a lot of sense if you're trying to make a house warm and cozy by heating the air.
    Infrared will heat whatever solid objects it's shining on and won't really heat the air much at all.

Well put it this way, my Partners parents had to get rid of the sitting room infra red panel and replace it with a storage heater, doesn't that say it all ???

They also have 13 kwp solar on the roof to power the heating, well it doesn't actually power the heating, the night rate meter kicks in at 10pm and heats the heaters so they are using whatever mix of energy is in the grid at night.

However they send the solar to the grid during the day and I was talking to her Dad on Sunday and it's working out very well, they consumed 13,000 KWH and generated 11,000 kwh in the year they have the solar. And he said this year was quiet a cloudy year and so expects that to be a worst case.

So that's pretty good indeed, so they had only to purchase 2000 kwh. But they might get a cheque because they get paid quiet a good rate for the excess solar so they might have a few quid coming.

Just shows what solar can do if we only had incentives, sure it's a cloudy country mostly but solar still works in cloud. On a really cloudy day that 13kwp can generate 3kw and over say over 6 hrs would be 18 kwh in a day.

In summer they can generate over 70kwh on a reasonably sunny day .

Yeah there are various options to use solar into a buffer tank in combination with other heat sources which makes quite a lot of sense. On a sunny winters' day you'd get a huge % of your heat from the panels (Especially if you've enough roof to put plenty on as many Irish homes do).

On dull days, your gas / oil / wood pellet or whatever you're using would run more, but you'd still be saving a lot of money.

IR doesn't make a whole lot of sense at all though to me as you'd really need to heat the air, not the surfaces of objects.

I never understand why it's not done here as we tend to have extremely complicated central heating installations anyway! (certainly relative to your typical house in the UK which tends to just have a small system boiler/combi boiler and very little else).

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yeah there are various options to use solar into a buffer tank in combination with other heat sources which makes quite a lot of sense. On a sunny winters' day you'd get a huge % of your heat from the panels (Especially if you've enough roof to put plenty on as many Irish homes do).

On dull days, your gas / oil / wood pellet or whatever you're using would run more, but you'd still be saving a lot of money.

IR doesn't make a whole lot of sense at all though to me as you'd really need to heat the air, not the surfaces of objects.

I'm not a great lover of solar water heating, unless you're a heavy hot water user. I'm not convinced it is effective enough for heating use and think that cost would be far better off going into solar pv and wind turbines.

Ireland's building regulations now call for some kind of renewable energy to be installed with every new building if I remember correctly ? I think this should have included solar pv.

if that's so then how come so many new houses were built in the boom had not got that requirement ?

Think of the typical hot water solar system in Ireland ? while it may help to reduce hot water heating via an immersion it has no use in winter where the hot water is heated via oil or gas etc while the solar pv keeps generating every day regardless and inputting to the grid or you can use it.

The solar PV has the most potential to reduce harmful emissions and reduce your electricity bills. It can also heat the water.

If the Boom in Ireland had not being as a result of corruption then house prices wouldn't have climbed as high as they did and the Government could have included in the building regulations a 3kwp solar setup on every new roof in Ireland, the difference that could have made is astonishing.

From what I've seen of Irish heating systems, the majority use an indirectly heated hot water cylinder which uses a heat exchange coil that's taking heat from the central heating circuits much like a radiator and an electric element as back up / alternative when the heat's off.

In the UK direct-heated hot water has become more common with combi-boilers and electric showers. I'm actually not convinced that on-demand hot water's all that efficient or effective. I prefer the continental approach like in France where you've an ultra-highly insulated hot water cylinder that's capable of holding water and only losing a couple of degrees over 24 hours. Seems more logical to use the most efficient methods of heating, rather than peak-time electricity in the shower or gas systems that might not necessarily be all that efficient.

Mostly over there you heat the water at night using electricity (which is very cheap relative to here, possibly because of the big nuclear installations being unable to switch off at off-peak time so the power needs to get used up). Some homes might use gas or oil and solar during the day is very common nowadays.

I also never feel like an electric shower produces anything like the kind of water pressure / flow rates that a normal shower does. You can't control the temperature easily and if you stop the shower, they are scalding hot when you turn them back on again and freezing as the elements come to temperature. It's not exactly pleasant if you want to pause the shower for a moment to wash your hair. They're also very noisy if pumped and I just find them generally unpleasant.

I've never quite understood the British (and Irish) love-affair with them!

So, if you're adding solar, surely it means that the panels can dump heat into the cylinder and the oil/gas can be used to top it up on duller days / at night ?

Or, will no heat transfer happen if the tank's been heated by the central heating system already?

I would imagine the solar heating that's been adapted to supplement the oil/gas heating would be connected in a similar way to the boiler ? If any plumbers are out there with more knowledge then please comment .

Showers, this is another thing that gets me, I see so many homes with electric showers which are used in winter when people have full tanks of hot water going to waste, it amazes me the amount of wasted energy, in fact it annoys me. Showers should have the option to heat the water or just pump it. In summer it makes to heat on the fly rather than waste many litres of water that won't get used at all for just one shower.

But I'd imagine the idea is to insulate a lot more and use as little heating as possible.

If houses were built to passive standard (which they should be) then you'd need very little heating. The back of my house is south facing and when the sun shines the back of the house is nice and warm but the front isn't as warm and you might want the fan heater on for a few mins. But if I had much better insulating then I would not need heating.

But it's far cheaper to heat the one room I'm in than the whole house when no one is in it especially if the sun heats the back of the house and I'm in the front room even using peak rate leccy for a few mins for an hour a day. Since I got the walls pumped and the attic insulated and new windows, the difference is really noticeable, the fan heater heating the room to 21 degrees doesn't go below 20 even after an hour or two. So why would I keep the oil on all day ?

I still see new houses in Ireland today being built to 1990's standards with white foam in the walls, it's really really pathetic that in this day and age there are no laws to insulate homes better, heat isn't just lost in the attic, a substantial loss comes from the walls and floor.

I think spray foam should be used inside and out and in the attic, it's supposed to be an amazing insulator and you need much less thickness of foam than you do the spray foam.

Electric showers were obviously designed as a cheap retrofit for houses that had no central heating. Something that was very common in Ireland and Britain but almost unheard of on the continent (weather's more extreme in winter).

The two countries also had the wonderful system of hot water storage: You keep it in a big uninsulated copper cylinder loosely wrapped in a lagging jacket that loses so much heat that it creates a 'hot press / airing cupboard' which is permanently at around 40ºC !

In most of the rest of Europe you just have a very seriously well insulated hot water tank that doesn't lose very much heat at all. So, you heat it and the water's available for showers all day and works extremely efficiently. If you heat a lot of the modern tanks, they'll still be hot two days later if you don't use the water.

The heating can be done with gas, oil, electricity, solar or whatever you like and it's probably a lot more efficient than attempting to heat water by passing it through an element in an instantaneous heater using up to 11kW of electricity at peak times.

The other thing I also find amusing is that British and Irish electrical regulations get absolutely paranoid about sockets and switches in bathrooms. Then think nothing about putting a 32amp circuit into a water heater located in the shower cubicle itself and it's only IP rated to X4 which is slash proof!!! It's not even rated for pressure jets!

Yet, at the same time they go mental about light fittings and sockets which really should be a non issue if all correctly RCD protected (as they are in most French bathrooms).

I know a few British friends of mine who were HORRIFIED to find a socket in the bathroom in France. It's also not unusual for the washing machine to be in the bathroom. However, millions of French people aren't being electrocuted and the protection is absolutely fine and millions of British bathrooms have a huge water-heater actually in the shower and nobody thinks that's weird at all.

I just find Irish and British plumbing can be a little eh, how would you put it.. "non scientific" in the way it's done. There's a lot of regulation and practice that seems to be based more on notional traditions than science.

Like why did we continue to fit sub-standard water mains and require attic tanks? Most European and north American supplies can produce about 3.0 bars and have a flow rate enough to service showers with enough water.
    I could understand undersizing them 100+ years ago, but why did we continue to do that?

Why do we continue to fit separate hot and cold taps even in modern installations? You have to move your hands from scalding water to freezing water and nobody finds this odd/weird or strange...? Mixer taps are hardly rocket science !

Both the UK and Ireland also have had a long history of very, very minimal requirements for home insulation e.g. single glazing is still common in homes that were built as late as the 1980s.
    There are just some very odd attitudes in these two islands to what I would consider very normal things that seem to have been seen as some kind of non-essential extras here. Yet, had they been done right day one, people would have much cheaper-to-heat and more comfortable homes!

• Advertisement

Yeah I completely agree about the socket in the bathroom thing.

When I first went to Germany and saw not one but 4 electric sockets in her parents bathroom I was shocked, pardon the pun haha. And they haven't been killed yet, nor have they heard of anyone killed in the bathroom.

However I would say that Irish bathrooms tend to be small and maybe the thinking is that more can happen in a small bathroom ?

But the Irish way has always been copy what the British do.

Just look at the appalling Council estates they built in the 1970's 80's, horrible places and ugly as hell, almost exactly as they built them in the U.K. And I live in one (that I own) so I can comment. While I'm glad to have a roof over my head they could have designed them a little nicer looking and not just 5-8 houses stuck together!

However I would say that Irish bathrooms tend to be small and maybe the thinking is that more can happen in a small bathroom ?
    In my experience, most Irish bathrooms are significantly bigger than French ones. I don't buy that argument at all.
    I'm not even sure if there's an "average" bathroom here. They vary from small to huge.

I got a free 2 day home trail of far infrared heating panels with the company www.infraheat.ie. The person from their company brought a huge panel 1meter x 1.2meter of 1000 watts to my home for 2 days free trail. They brought along a stand to hold the infrared panel. They took a deposit of €350 for the panels and I did try the panels for 2 days. I am quite satisfied with the panel from this company and have placed the order after trial. The best advantage of the free trial is to understand how the panel works at home.

The only thing I was not happy was that they turned up 3 hours after the decided time. They refunded the money after the trial period but as I placed the order, the money was given as deposit for the panels. Anyone looking to buy heating panels should ask for free trails with the manufacturers of the panels. If they have good quality product they will provide free trial. I will update once I receive the ordered panels with my family photo printed in the panel.

I ordered 4 panels which will cover my 2 bedrooms and my living room for €1650.

To be honest, a 1kw non infrared panel will heat most of my rooms and 500 watts for the bathroom if they were on long enough and they wouldn't cost nearly as much as an infrared panel !

If I think about it, a 2kw panel will heat a room twice as fast and switch off, but it will use the same kwh. Efficient heating imho is all about good control systems and most important, good insulation/windows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

nielandrew wrote: »
    I got a free 2 day home trail of far infrared heating panels with the company www.infraheat.ie. The person from their company brought a huge panel 1meter x 1.2meter of 1000 watts to my home for 2 days free trail. They brought along a stand to hold the infrared panel. They took a deposit of €350 for the panels and I did try the panels for 2 days. I am quite satisfied with the panel from this company and have placed the order after trial. The best advantage of the free trial is to understand how the panel works at home.

The only thing I was not happy was that they turned up 3 hours after the decided time. They refunded the money after the trial period but as I placed the order, the money was given as deposit for the panels. Anyone looking to buy heating panels should ask for free trails with the manufacturers of the panels. If they have good quality product they will provide free trial. I will update once I receive the ordered panels with my family photo printed in the panel.

I ordered 4 panels which will cover my 2 bedrooms and my living room for €1650.

I am always concerned about a company that cannot be bothered to use a spell checker before publishing their website. As for their claims about solar, well if you want to buy off them they reckon you can recoup your costs within 3 years. I hope you signed up for that offer.:D

That's quite funny that the quality of the product depends on the spell check of the website!!!!!

I personally got a trial and was able to see the product working in my home and obviously it did not cost me any thing for the trial. I ordered for the panels when I was satisfied with the working of the panel. It was similar to test run a car and if you are not happy you don't end up buying it. They had promised to deliver the panels before Christmas, and I will update you once I receive the panels.

But I don't understand how an infrared panel of 1kw is better than a "much" cheaper normal electric heater ?

1kw of heat is 1kw of heat,

The only thing I can think of is that the much larger infrared panel due to it's larger dimensions gives the illusion of greater heat ?

Even I had the same doubt, I had a ceramic heating panel which I had brought 2 years back for €120 and my question was also the same, how will it save my bills if the large panel which is again 1KW is used. When I was given the trial of heating panel I used a energy meter to see the current consumption. I was quite surprised that its actually talking lesser than half the electricity to keep the room heated. Its probably because the room remains warm due to the objects getting warmed by the infrared rays.

Ok, maybe it does work and the only real way is to try it out, but I still don't know how a kw of heat becomes more than a kw ? see you can't put out more than you put in !

All I know is that the panels my partners parents had, I was not impressed, granted to stand close to was nice but the room was not warm.

They had to remove the infrared panel from the sitting room and replace it with a storage heater, they were not impressed, neither was I.

• Advertisement

I am not sure if I am of much help to your question, but what I did was moved the panel I got in trial to different rooms and tested the same in all places and found that the panels did make the room very warm. I did find that one panel was not heating my living room which is quite big compared to my other rooms. I checked the same with the company who provided me the panels for testing and they told me that the far infrared heating panels emits a ray which will heat up the objects in a specific vicinity and it will require an additional panel to get comfortable warmth in my living room. It made sense to me as the panels were making the other room very warm. In case if you are looking for a trial, ask them to bring a good thermostat. The thermostat they brought was costing €30 but the display of the same is not excellent. I had order for the better thermostat costing €45.

Advertisement