Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science! Ask you question here. Biscuits NOT included and answers not guaranteed.

Options
  • 14-11-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

I mean, if they've made a movie out of it, it must be true...right?

Surely there's no flaw in that logic.

Will the Thunderbirds save Noah? 233 votes

F.A.B! Mysterious Poll Setter.
    0%
    Where are my biscuits? I WANT BISCUITS DAMMIT!
    3%
    the_sycoPherekydesSofaspud[-0-]LiamarioObliqTheChizlerDoctor Strange 8 votes
    Who's the Hood again?
    6%
    the_sycoPherekydeslegspinSofaspudGenghiz CohenJimoslimosBlazerDelirium[-0-]LiamariofreynersIT-GuyendaclDoctor Strange 14 votes
    I don't think Noah deserves to be rescued. . .
    2%
    PherekydesSofaspud[-0-]LiamarioDoctor Strange 5 votes
    HURRY UP WITH THE BISCUITS!
    3%
    the_sycoBeruthielPherekydesSofaspudDelirium[-0-]LiamarioObliqDoctor Strange 9 votes
    Hasn't God already drowned the THUNDERBIRDS?
    3%
    the_sycoPherekydeslegspinSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]LiamariofreynersDoctor Strange 9 votes
    This is Option 7.
    3%
    PherekydesSofaspud[Deleted User][-0-]LiamarioPopePalpatineDoctor Strange 7 votes
    A Better question would be, would the Dr. have rescued Noah?
    6%
    GordonPherekydesrobindchlooseliverSkrynesaverSofaspudGenghiz CohenDelirium[-0-]LiamarioObliqLinks234MadYakerBloodwingMick_1970Doctor Strange 16 votes
    Could God really stop a Timelord?
    3%
    PherekydesbogwalrusSofaspudsmacl[-0-]LiamarioDoctor Strange 7 votes
    Maybe it was the Dr. that informed Noah of the flood?
    3%
    the_sycoPherekydesSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]Liamariothebag89Doctor Strange 8 votes
    THE DOCTOR SAVED US!
    3%
    PherekydesSofaspudDelirium[-0-]LiamarioSulla Felixshruikan2553Doctor Strange 8 votes
    (Er, if there was a flood, of course!)
    3%
    PherekydeslegspinSofaspud[-0-]LiamariotimbyrSulla FelixPopePalpatineDoctor Strange 9 votes
    (I'll bet the Dr. saved us anyway from something!)
    3%
    PherekydesSofaspud[-0-]LiamariotimbyrSulla FelixDoctor StrangeDays 298 8 votes
    Yay! The Dr. ! *swoons*
    5%
    PherekydeslegspinSofaspudGlitterDelirium[-0-]LiamariotimbyrZemuppetSulla FelixPopePalpatineDoctor Strange 12 votes
    HEY THIS ISN'T FAIR NOW. OPTION#14 AND NO BISCUITS!? I'M CLOSING MY ACCOUNT!
    3%
    PherekydeslegspinSofaspud[-0-]LiamariotimbyrwenchDoctor Strange 8 votes
    Why do I smell pizza? Are those pesky mods having pizza without us?
    3%
    the_sycoPherekydesSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]LiamariofreynersDoctor StrangeDays 298 9 votes
    Can I has some pizza? Please! I'll even accept pineapple toppings.
    4%
    PherekydesrobindchSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]LiamarioObliqMetalDogDoctor StrangeDays 298 10 votes
    Even if God flooded the Earth? How does He destroy THUNDERBIRD 4?
    4%
    PherekydesSofaspudGenghiz CohenDelirium[-0-]LiamariolazygalObliqSulla FelixDoctor StrangeDays 298 11 votes
    What about THUNDERBIRD 5? That's in space.
    3%
    PherekydesSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]LiamarioDoctor StrangeDays 298 7 votes
    (Wouldn't that also have seen the flood coming?)
    3%
    the_sycoPherekydesSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]LiamarioDoctor StrangeTodd Toddington IIIDays 298 9 votes
    Mysterious Poll Setter, I've complied with the poll thus far. May I now have a biscuit?
    3%
    the_sycoPherekydesSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]LiamarioDoctor StrangeDays 298 8 votes
    In the words of Jesse Pinkman: "Evolution is true, bitch!"
    4%
    the_sycoPherekydesSofaspudGenghiz CohenDelirium[-0-]LiamarioDoctor StrangeDays 298AerynSun 10 votes
    OMG! Spoiler!
    6%
    CabaalMrPuddingSarkyPherekydesrobindchrobinphSofaspudGenghiz Cohen[-0-]Muppet ManLiamarioObliqPopePalpatineDoctor StrangeDays 298 15 votes
    I AM THE ONE WHO CLICKS!
    3%
    PherekydesSofaspudGenghiz CohenDelirium[-0-]LiamarioDoctor StrangeDays 298 8 votes
    FYI: This is Option Number Twenty-Five. Isn't this being a bit, uh, mean on the hamsters?
    7%
    PherekydesrobindchSofaspudGenghiz CohenZirconiagaynorvaderDelirium[-0-]LiamarioElWalrusObliqpauldlaSulla Felixshruikan2553PopePalpatineDoctor Strangebumper234Days 298 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

OMG! Spoiler!
    He's awfully, uh, pale, for someone from that area...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

FYI: This is Option Number Twenty-Five. Isn't this being a bit, uh, mean on the hamsters?
    Sarky wrote: »
    He's awfully, uh, pale, for someone from that area...

Shut your mouth! I'm in the middle of a reconversion here and you're just trying to spoil it for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wonder if they'll address all the logistical problems of storing all the animals. For example, how their excrement was dealt with.:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OMG! Spoiler!
    Jernal wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll address all the logistical problems of storing all the animals. For example, how their excrement was dealt with.:D

Also, what about the dinosaurs?

1ark-dino.jpg

• Advertisement

Dinosaurs were hebrivores and lived with humans. Get with the program!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

YEAH!!! They later became carnivores by evolu...... GOD! :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OMG! Spoiler!

Oh sh*t sorry, I forgot. How silly of me...sure didn't Jesus take care of raptors?
    There's even evidence of this in historical books

Jesus_Raptor_by_seeyouinjune.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

just keep Moses off the damn boat!

That fecker will have them run aground with a careless wave of his hands!! :eek::P

If you can read this, you're too close!

OMG! Spoiler!
    I'm amazed nobody has pointed out the massive flaw in this film adaption of the fairytale, what the heck is Maximus Decimus Meridius doing driving the boat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pretty sure I saw some unicorns getting washed away in the closing shots!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm amazed nobody has pointed out the massive flaw in this film adaption of the fairytale, what the heck is Maximus Decimus Meridius doing driving the boat?

Gladiator
    Remember at the end of that movie where Maximus is walking in the grass? This film takes place in that grass dream world.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I hope the updated version is that of the flood from the Epic of Gilgamesh, always good to have originals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Liamario wrote: »

I mean, if they've made a movie out of it, it must be true...right?
    It certainly adds credibility to it.
    ... and this is just the latest of several films about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

J C wrote: »

How the bloody hell does this add any credibility to it JC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Neckbeard+fedora+atheist+beta+thread+_4927cb1d8bd95ace4876a8d0f345958c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm actually sort of interested in seeing this since one of my favourite directors made it, Darren Aronofsky(Requiem for A Dream). Although I suspect it will be the big budget flop of his career. So disappointed that he didn't direct Robocop instead. :( I'm confused on how a film based on a biblical story makes it more credible. Lord of the Rings happened so or is at least credible ?

OMG! Spoiler!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yep, Noah lived to the ripe old age of 950. He was a youthful 600 or so when he built his floating zoo. Quite credible alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A Better question would be, would the Dr. have rescued Noah?
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yep, Noah lived to the ripe old age of 950. He was a youthful 600 or so when he built his floating zoo. Quite credible alright.
    I wonder if any religious folk ever worry that Noah told a few porky pies. Considering he was the only person to survive a massive god slaughter along with his wife, sons and daughters in law presumably. With nobody else alive, who could possibly refute anything he said? But then I guess that brings a level of reality into things and sways away from blind trust and faith.

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    Hi iDave
    Lets look at the maths ...
    Firstly, the wrong calculation has been done in relation to the capacity of the current water on Earth to flood it. Its the sphere depth of the oceans that is the critical measurement.
    It is thought that the Earth's surface was smoother than it is today, during the Flood ... with lower hills and less deep ocean basins and trenches.
    If the Earth were a smooth sphere there is enough water to cover the entire surface to a depth of over 1.5 miles ... so all of the land on a smoother surfaced Earth could indeed be completely flooded during the Flood.
    There is therefore no shortage of water to flood the entire Earth.

Quote Encyclopaedia Britannica
    "Actually, all the elevated land could be hidden under the oceans and Earth reduced to a smooth sphere that would be completely covered by a continuous layer of seawater 2,686 metres (8,812 feet) deep. This is known as the sphere depth of the oceans and serves to underscore the abundance of water on Earth’s surface."
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/424285/ocean

The second point of the film posted by you, was in relation to the capacity of the Ark to hold all of the animals.
    Firstly, only land breathing vertebrate animals—corresponding to modern birds, mammals, and reptiles, as well as their extinct counterparts needed to be rescued on the Ark ... so this eliminates any space requirements for fishes and amphibians ... and insects could survive on various 'flotsam and jetsam'.

All you wanted to know (but were afraid to ask) about how the animals fitted on the Ark are answered here:-
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab3/how-could-animals-fit-on-ark

The third point of the film was in relation to the ability of rain (on its own) to flood the Earth ... but the Flood was caused by both rain falling and waters bursting forth from underground, due to enormous world-wide tectonic forces being unleashed ... and its thought that the vast majority of the waters arose from underground sources ... and the heavy rains were only a secondary phenomenon as a result of the condensation of the steam that accompanied the explosive release of the underground waters.

Neckbeard+fedora+atheist+beta+thread+_4927cb1d8bd95ace4876a8d0f345958c.jpg
    Fair enough.
    However, the Blessing of God and the enlightenment of one's intelligence aren't mutually exclusive ... you can have both.

... but of course, you don't have to have them both, if you don't want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Hi iDave
    Lets look at the maths ...
    Firstly, the wrong calculation has been done in relation to the capacity of the current water on Earth to flood it. Its the sphere depth of the oceans that is the critical measurement.
    It is thought that the Earth's surface was smoother than it is today, during the Flood ... with lower hills and less deep ocean basins and trenches.
    If the Earth were a smooth sphere there is enough water to cover the entire surface to a depth of over 1.5 miles ... so all of the land on a smoother surfaced Earth could indeed be completely flooded duting the Flood.

{...}

Mountains were probably higher back then as they have been shrinking due to erosion, etc.

Mountains were probably higher back then as they have been shrinking due to erosion, etc.
    ... if mountains really were around for the billions of years claimed, they would have eroded into the oceans of the world long ago!!!

The tectonic forces that released the vast sub-terranean waters in the Flood continued to raise the mountains and to lower the Ocean basins and trenches during the Flood recession phase and since then ... and the 'echoes' from this process continue to resound right up to today, with earthquakes and volcanic activity (on a thankfully, greatly reduced scale and intensity) all over the Earth.

OMG! Spoiler!
    Oh not this bullsh*t again. J C, how many times do you need to be shown that every claim you make about this planet is hopelessly wrong?

Oh not this bullsh*t again. J C, how many times do you need to be shown that every claim you make about this planet is hopelessly wrong?
    Where have you shown this?

OMG! Spoiler!
    You know damn well whenever you've tried to pretend you know about anything scientific, someone else has shown up and showed you do be utterly clueless on any subject to which you turn your hand. Look, I'm trying to do you a favour here: Your pathetic flood claims have been done to death. There really is no need for you to embarrass yourself all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Looks like a decent popcorn flick, AND it has Emma Watson. Sold.

You know damn well whenever you've tried to pretend you know about anything scientific, someone else has shown up and showed you do be utterly clueless on any subject to which you turn your hand. Look, I'm trying to do you a favour here: Your pathetic flood claims have been done to death. There really is no need for you to embarrass yourself all over again.
    ... so will you be going to see the film?

I can hardly wait ... with the excitement of it all!!!:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2507265/Noah-trailer-epic-new-biblical-tale-starring-Russell-Crowe.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959490/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

... if mountains really were around for the billions of years claimed, they would have eroded into the oceans of the world long ago!!!

{...}

Mountains are rising and falling all the time. At the moment I believe most are in decline.

Advertisement