Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Way to Allow New Sky Broadband Connection To Train

• 12-11-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

My Sky Broadband went active today, up to 24mbs ADSL2+

I received the sky sr101 Hub but prefer using my own router but I'm wondering would it be best to connect the sky hub for the first few days as sky say the connection needs to train before it settles on it's max reliable speed or would it be ok to use my router even during the first few 'line training days'?

Also has anyone who currently has sky on adsl2+ any information on what to expect for the first few days while the speed is supposedly being regularised, from their own experience?

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

iPhone. wrote: »
    My Sky Broadband went active today, up to 24mbs ADSL2+

I received the sky sr101 Hub but prefer using my own router but I'm wondering would it be best to connect the sky hub for the first few days as sky say the connection needs to train before it settles on it's max reliable speed or would it be ok to use my router even during the first few 'line training days'?

Also has anyone who currently has sky on adsl2+ any information on what to expect for the first few days while the speed is supposedly being regularised, from their own experience?

Cheers!

They run tests for the first 10 days. These tests determine the best speed your line can handle. I believe these tests can only work with the Sky hub.

Just wait about 2 weeks after you go live with them before you use your own router.

Now regarding using your own router: are you aware Sky won't allow 3rd party routers unless you get a password and username from them? You need to enter this password into your router's configuration page. the problem is: Sky won't give you this information for whatever reason, so you have to extract it yourself.

You can find instruction in the link I provided below but be warned that Sky customer service will not assist you if you're not using their hub.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/51163-how-get-username-password-sky-hub-sr101.html

I'm with Sky and I was delighted to get rid of the hub and use my trusty Eircom router. Chances are, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Thanks Frank, I extracted the login details earlier today alright and used them to connect to sky broadband with my own router but I started wondering then if I should have waited a while and use the sky hub until my max speed was determined, hence my earlier post.

So you reckon I should disconnect my own router and use the sky hub for 10 days first then? Did it make a difference to your connection when you first got it?

Also how do they find the optimum settings, by starting high and working back or starting low and working upwards?

Thanks for the information so far, it is appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

iPhone. wrote: »
    Thanks Frank, I extracted the login details earlier today alright and used them to connect to sky broadband with my own router but I started wondering then if I should have waited a while and use the sky hub until my max speed was determined, hence my earlier post.

Yeah, I reckon the tests won't work on third party router. Put it back now and if the speeds fluctuate wildly throughout the day, then that should be the tests happening.

I should note that there's an issue with ADSL across Ireland at the moment where speeds drop dramatically in the late afternoons until nighttime.
    So you reckon I should disconnect my own router and use the sky hub for 10 days first then? Did it make a difference to your connection when you first got it?

Most people did experience faster speeds when switching from Eircom to Sky, but I was one of the exceptions because I was on 12mb with Eircom and my noise margin was already at 7.0db with Eircom. Your noise margin can't go below 7.0db or else your connection will drop out. I was told my line can handle 17mb but my noise margin would drop below 7.0db if they switched me to a faster profile and my line would suffer from constant disconnects.
    Also how do they find the optimum settings, by starting high and working back or starting low and working upwards?

I have no idea. It's an automated test and I guess it finds out the fastest speed your line can handle without it dropping out from low noise margin and whatever factors that effect copper lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

The first 10 day thing only happens in the UK, it's the way BT/Sky have things set up here. When I had Sky I simply rang them up and insisted they give me the best speed possible, as I was getting even less than when I was on ADSL1 which was 7mb.

They contacted their supplier, (I was on a LLU exchange,) and bumped me up to 10mb with a warning it may be unstable. Not bad for a ADSL2 line that was on 46db attenuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They don't do any tests in Ireland. The only way your sync change will change is if they manually change it. Work away with whatever router you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They don't do any tests in Ireland. The only way your sync change will change is if they manually change it. Work away with whatever router you like.

Why do they trot out that ten day story then? Looking to use my own router too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why do they trot out that ten day story then? Looking to use my own router too.

Because they probably train with manuals based on BT in the UK who use DLM which does "train", but doesnt care what modem is there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ED E wrote: »
    Because they probably train with manuals based on BT in the UK who use DLM which does "train", but doesnt care what modem is there :rolleyes:

So fire away with my own router then would be your message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ED E wrote: »

pretty much. Their 'knowledge system' is very uk heavy, so has some inconsistencies for Ireland.

Advertisement