Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenveagh illegal dump and turf cutting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd be interested to hear Glenveagh's response to this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'd be interested to hear Glenveagh's response to this.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1106/484945-glenveagh-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Signs of illegal dumping and turf cutting at Glenveagh national park..

what ever next!!

Please add to your facebook and share thanks

Irish Wildlife Trust uncovers habitat destruction in Glenveagh National Park.
    Huge thanks to David McConnon for putting this video together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It seems from the response that they are allowing the mechanised turfcutting within the park because its "only" blanket bog, and not raised bog.
    It contradicts the stated aims of a national park;
    http://www.npws.ie/nationalparks/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

This topic was also brought up in the 'Nature in the News' thread - everything merged here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

recedite wrote: »
    It seems from the response that they are allowing the mechanised turfcutting within the park because its "only" blanket bog, and not raised bog.
    It contradicts the stated aims of a national park;
    http://www.npws.ie/nationalparks/

Absolutely ludicrous. The officials in the NPWS who are allowing this to happen should be fired. The National Park protects not only the only breeding Golden Eagles in Ireland, but also the last few pairs of Red-throated Divers. Insane, absolutely insane what is going on there...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Just wondering where's the organised opposition, the petitions to local TD's etc. or is everyone prepared to squander the legacy that is the unique Irish landscape for a couple of free turf fires this year. Brings to mind the Bible story of the son who "squandered his inheritance for a mess of pottage". What a mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Donegal is a very insular and isolated place, and I suspect this is going to be like the issues the Gardai had there, ie it can only be sorted out by sending in unconnected personnel from another part of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Is there certainty that the NPWS staff would known it was happening? They have been hit hard by cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think any decent npws ranger would be aware of what's happening in his area. I would be very surprised if they were unaware of the bog cutting. The dumping may be a different matter as it could have been well hidden or scattered.

• Advertisement

robp wrote: »
    Is there certainty that the NPWS staff would known it was happening? They have been hit hard by cuts.

I'd imagine, and this is just my opinion, that the NPWS would have had a good idea it was happening but didn't have the resources or backing to deal with it - little point in spending days and weeks trying to sort it all out if you're not going to be supported by the higher ups, or won't get the co-operation needed from elsewhere to put an end to it.

Hopefully the spotlight being shined on it like this will force the necessary people into action - disapointing that it often takes this kind of attention for action to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Prodigal Son

Disgraceful shameful stuff - and Killarney, also mostly donated by an American, also in a poor state

Advertisement