Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 16:39   #1
dararyder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Best cheap vodka for homemade Limoncello base

Hi All,

Just wondering could any vodka drinkers out there recommend a decent cheap vodka to use as the base for a Limoncello. Normally would use grey goose or another good quality brand but i'm making a big batch for my wedding to serve after dinner and can't afford the expensive stuff.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Dara
dararyder is offline  
Advertisement
04-11-2013, 17:14   #2
rubadub
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outside the box
Posts: 22,528
Grey goose is stupidly overpriced for what it is.

Skyy is the cleanest vodka I have ever tasted, so ideal if you want a flavourless base, which most liquers do. They set out to make a tasteless vodka, many others produce one with a vodka taste on purpose.

The aldi & lidl premium ones are meant to be very good too
rubadub is offline  
05-11-2013, 09:45   #3
Antisocialiser
Registered User
 
Antisocialiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Antrim, Ireland
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dararyder View Post
Hi All,

Just wondering could any vodka drinkers out there recommend a decent cheap vodka to use as the base for a Limoncello. Normally would use grey goose or another good quality brand but i'm making a big batch for my wedding to serve after dinner and can't afford the expensive stuff.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Dara
Hey dararyder, could I ask you what the recipe is that you're using? I would love to make a few bottles of limoncello for xmas gifts this year

EDIT- or if anyone else has a good recipe, i'm only my way down to lidl now to purchase a couple of bottles of vodka for same!

Last edited by Antisocialiser; 05-11-2013 at 13:01.
Antisocialiser is offline  
06-11-2013, 10:24   #4
dararyder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialiser View Post
Hey dararyder, could I ask you what the recipe is that you're using? I would love to make a few bottles of limoncello for xmas gifts this year

EDIT- or if anyone else has a good recipe, i'm only my way down to lidl now to purchase a couple of bottles of vodka for same!
Hey,

You can use this one (it makes a lot more for your buck):
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1087/limoncello
but I prefer the one in my home brewing manual because its less sweet and more boozy. Dead easy, get 150-200 grams of sugar and dissolve in a pan over light-medium heat in a cup of water. As soon as it dissolves pour it into a jar with 500mls of Vodka and the rind of 5 unwaxed lemons - try not to get any of the white bit of the rind, just the flavoursome yellow bit as the white bit leaves a slight bitter taste. Leave in a cool darkish place for around 30 days, shaking up the contents every 4 or 5 days. Then strain into a bottle using a funnel with some muslin and you're done. Be sure to serve it very cold - i keep it in the fridge and bang it in the freezer 10 minutes before serving.

happy brewing
dararyder is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2013, 12:17   #5
dararyder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Should say that's Caster Sugar, not ordinary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dararyder View Post
Hey,

You can use this one (it makes a lot more for your buck):
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1087/limoncello
but I prefer the one in my home brewing manual because its less sweet and more boozy. Dead easy, get 150-200 grams of sugar and dissolve in a pan over light-medium heat in a cup of water. As soon as it dissolves pour it into a jar with 500mls of Vodka and the rind of 5 unwaxed lemons - try not to get any of the white bit of the rind, just the flavoursome yellow bit as the white bit leaves a slight bitter taste. Leave in a cool darkish place for around 30 days, shaking up the contents every 4 or 5 days. Then strain into a bottle using a funnel with some muslin and you're done. Be sure to serve it very cold - i keep it in the fridge and bang it in the freezer 10 minutes before serving.

happy brewing
dararyder is offline  
Advertisement
07-11-2013, 10:43   #6
fobster
Registered User
 
fobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 837
Sounds dead easy. Something to whip up for Christmas.
fobster is offline  
07-11-2013, 10:48   #7
rubadub
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outside the box
Posts: 22,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dararyder View Post
Should say that's Caster Sugar, not ordinary!
Caster sugar is just normal granulated sugar in finer "granules". It usually costs a bit more as it costs a little more to process. It dissolves faster but regular sugar will still dissolve, especially if its being heated, so no need to pay more in most cases.

In tesco their caster sugar is actually cheaper than regular at the moment, someone said this is probably to price match some other supermarkets.
rubadub is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet