Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write an article!

Options
  • 24-10-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Right, in an attempt to help Fewfew in his new role and to get a bit of new discussion going around here I thought I'd have a go at this. Basically its a thread where, if you feel like writing any blackout article, you can stick it down. Fewfew can then go on and stick them on blackout, adding to the whole community. We are used to the old match reports, national team results etc. So lets add something different.
    Write an opinion piece on this weeks feature of the week. Write about the ME2. Write about the future of the Irish blackout community.
    This is an opportunity to get some juicy chat going. It also gives people a chance to respond to your piece.

I'll kick it off. Hopefully this goes well.
    A young mans game?

The youth academy is a feature that has been around since the beginning of time. There was a time when our Dutch ansestors would spill a coffee over the prospect of an impressive, below potential, psychotic, flawless, second row. Their flat weekly investments for a top rated youth system would pay off. A ten star academy took a long time and a lot of money to achieve but when you finally got it, boy was it worthwhile. Young talent that season 5 newbies like myself could only dream of.

Alas no more. Out with the old and in with the new and like much else in the game, things became far more complex. On one hand we have far more control over our academies but there is no doubt that they are less profitable to say the least. The fun extra dimension that is added to the users experience by having an academy comes at a price. A three star academy with a scout and coach (does anyone actually employ a manager anymore?) comes to cost no less than $720 000 per season. That is a lot of money. Most managers only earn back a fraction of that cost.

Is it worthwhile? The short answer is no you would be mad to run one. That said we would not have a competitive under twenty team if it were not for these mad managers. Fetch would not have a team to work with as it is very rare that any organised foreign nation would allow any of their best talent to escape on the transfer market without a fight.

But change is coming! Managers like myself who have just about managed to hold on to their precious youth teams are being rewarded by the season twenty raising of youth caps. Our youth players will no longer be limited to 11.99999 in each skill. Perhaps this will see an increase in value of a youth academy or perhaps players selling prices will just change to match their CSR. Either way I find it hard to imagine that owning a high end academy is going to become a gold mine anytime soon.

The youth academy may not be perfect, but it does add an extra aspect to the game for all those obsessive managers out there. There is still no better moment in blackout rugby than seeing your own homegrown talent finally attain that tiny tricolour flag.

Who has a youth academy? Do you find it worthwhile? Will you hold onto it long term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

As zim journo can I rob pieces that would relate with zim news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

seanand wrote: »

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

I feel (partly) responsible for your election Fewi...I nominated you (i also nominated somebody in Germany who also got elected!! :D )

whups

I'll help out with the odd Boards league article if you want?

I did have an idea on the cup..pick one team to follow..follow their game and who ever wins that match follow them in the next round...all the way to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

You could even do one better and send some of the Zim managers over here to read them!

Gelio wrote: »
    You could even do one better and send some of the Zim managers over here to read them!

I think a few of the Irish out there are here anyway lir, Keogh and corbally went bot

• Advertisement

I think a few of the Irish out there are here anyway lir, Keogh and corbally went bot

Really? All three? Thats shocking altogether.

Anyway feel free to use anything I write.

Really? All three? Thats shocking altogether.

Anyway feel free to use anything I write.
    That was suppose to be a full stop after lir. He's on here already I think just quite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Not sure this is the place but I have two things to raise:
    1. A reminder on the news feed that you need to pull if you haven't. I forgot and pulled a player today. looks good (http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.youth.php#player=7707114)
    2. what is up with the offsite? I can't post the link above as I don't have the privilege to post? WTF?

Hadn't been on offsite much recently, went on and updated my prop in training for NT. And then went to today post a promising youngster for the U20's and no.

Very welcoming altogether that site is....

Ah I'm nt manager and I can't post on some of the youth threads lol! no idea but I think it's probably because Dave isn't around as admin much so who else is doing it I don't know

i can post everywhere and im a zim manager :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Yeah, I'm trying for a journo section where people can have discussions on stuff like Jeff's article etc. Must see if that's happening. The alternative would be a wordpress.com type dealie maybe. Not to the extent of the BRZine yoke.

Few is it possible to have Boards add closed sections so only certain managers (Irish based), so that maybe the NT moved here? It would be great if you ask me as the offsite is really quiet boring?

this place does seem to get more traffic and is easier to use imo

And Dave isn't about much to admin it!

Yes it is possible and I would imagine it would be allowed by boards. How much off the offsite stuff would you want to transfer over? I think the training programmes are better to have on the offsite however and it would be a shame to close off too much of offsite as it may well pick up again eventually

I don't understand why the sight is so restricted. for instance the u20 section I can view and so on, just not post. That does not make sense to me, and surely especially as it was a scouting thrad they are doing two things effectively:
    1. shooting themselves in the foot as could be missing lots of potential stars
    2. creating a lot of work for themselves in trying to scout all the teams who pull players and looking at stats.

But what I am going to do is to pull guys and train ones I want, if U20's come calling then fine. But the impact is that if everyone is doing this might have too many great players in one position and nothing in another.

Just read this article in the US news (in blackout):
    News Item Save the Internet
    By EMatus
    Monday 28 October 2013, 9:20am
    This is not really related to Blackout Rugby at all, but it is still very important for all internet users (everyone who is on this website.) It concerns saving the privacy of all of you while you use the internet. More Since there isn't really any news to report on (other than an article that I will prepare and post in the next few days), I will go ahead and report on something important to the internet community - your privacy is threatened by certain US Federal agencies and institutions - they have tapped the trans-Atlantic cable through which 99.9% of the world's internet data travels through. They store it in there servers, and if necessary, decrypt it. Why is this of any concern? "I don't write anything bad or that will get be in trouble, so it doesn't matter to me." That is beyond the point. The fact is, many others write or post things online that can later be used against them in case of military takeover - even if it that data were legal at the time. History teaches us that 20th century totalitarians and tyrants started their reigns this way - by knowing as much as possible about their citizen's whereabouts, history, etc. Stand up for internet freedom, US managers - the internet is digital home to us all! Fight for her! I am glad to see people acting like this:Click here The most effective way of stopping this data sucking spyware (which has loopholes to Yahoo!, Gmail, Bing, Apple, Microsoft, and other big companies) is to ultimately pressure your elected officials to sponsor and pass legislation against it (or to repeal the Patriot Act). Call them. With enough calls, we can make a difference. Here is a list of Representatives by State, with their contact info: Click here Here is a list of Senators with their contact info: Click here

I know its eccentric to make a post like this, but there is a genuine need for it. Please inform others and call those officials - their minds may be changed. It is a duty of us all, no matter how old we are - because we are all affected by the data collection, simply because we are all digitally connected. The best advice I have other than that is to keep your sensitive online communications to an absolute minimum - meet in person, with your digital devices off and out of audible range, because they are capable of recording audial data when they are off! Even your real mail letters' tos and forms are scanned by machine.

Other News:
    Only about 290 bots to defeat in the cup! We are closer to seeing human human matches soon...

Knights of St. John and Cambridge Rugby currently dominate their leagues in Division II... maybe this season they will both make it to DI.

DI is experiencing some ripples right now, since Little Australia went bot. The DC Barbarians continue to be top rated, although I suspect they are saving energy for the cup instead of using it for league matches. Emmanuel RFC now emerges as a new Big Three member.

DII and DIII, although suffering prize money losses this season, have improved in the US rating wise. DIII tops are generally in the 50s, DII tops are in the lower 70s. This means better training and more member contentment!

DIV is being eaten up by bots...

DV pretty much is bot land.

We can still produce strong national players!!! I have contacted a few managers about this and I think I found some future members of the squad. It is a very opportune moment for anyone with a 250K+ guy to have that player on the national squad. We need players!

Cover photos are still in the process of creation - PM me if you would like the Z-T message with all the needed logos and such to create a cover photo for BR.

Recently, Ivory Coast U20 has surpassed the United States U20 in rank. Again, this is an opportune moment for whoever has an 18, 19 year old with 55,000CSR or more. If you have a possible candidate, or future candidate in your academy, please PM me or foxrugbyclub.

As I have promised, I will allow you, US managers, to send in article ideas or request that I interview you. It actually takes some time developing an idea for an article, so suggestions would be of great aid to me, and maybe even to yourself, as I will be sure to mention you (if you would like me to) in future articles if you do so.

Be sure to check our the USA offsite secret forum:Click here It is a useful tool for US managers. It, in a way, shows your dedication to this site and your nation.

I am glad to be your journalist, and would like to again, thank you all. If you did not like the beginning or any part of this article, please let me know. If you liked it, I ask that when you have a few minutes, to also let me know. I aim to please.

Your dedicated journalist,
    EMatus
    #

:eek:

eoferrall wrote: »
    I don't understand why the sight is so restricted. for instance the u20 section I can view and so on, just not post. That does not make sense to me, and surely especially as it was a scouting thrad they are doing two things effectively:
    1. shooting themselves in the foot as could be missing lots of potential stars
    2. creating a lot of work for themselves in trying to scout all the teams who pull players and looking at stats.

But what I am going to do is to pull guys and train ones I want, if U20's come calling then fine. But the impact is that if everyone is doing this might have too many great players in one position and nothing in another.

Obviously certain things like player profiles and NT tactics need to be restricted but I'm pretty sure it's just the lack of admins and the fact that they are rarely around makes other things restrictive.

Phonehead wrote: »
    Obviously certain things like player profiles and NT tactics need to be restricted but I'm pretty sure it's just the lack of admins and the fact that they are rarely around makes other things restrictive.

I'm fully OK with the NT profiles etc being restricted - don't want Miron's stats all over the web!

Maybe it is just lack of admins - can you post my player above to the U20 S24 thread? think he could be a good player. has the height and weight and aggression I like anyway!

Phonehead wrote: »
    Few is it possible to have Boards add closed sections so only certain managers (Irish based), so that maybe the NT moved here? It would be great if you ask me as the offsite is really quiet boring?

Boards do have private forums, but I know they're trying to cut down on the amount of them they have.

I'll suggest it and see, but we definitely won't be able to expect the same amount of customisation that's available on the current offsite. It'd be a case of all or nothing in terms of access. I'll ask and see.

Update: Ok, I've asked and it's not unheard of and has been done on a few other virtual sport forums. It's in the hands of the admins now so we'll see how she goes.

• Advertisement

Ok, to help out slightly I've written a small article on the 'Follow a Team through the cup' idea I had

I'm going to follow a team through the cup and whenever they have been knocked out, then continue following their victors. Hopefully this will have people rooting for this team over the course of the cup.

So I've picked the first team out of the hat on round 1

Round 1 sees us following Div 4's Castletown. Castletown look to be a one clicker (signing up on 17th Sept.) They came 2nd in Div IV.3 in season 19!

Round 1
    Castletown vs Dungloe Sonics (B) 98-0
    As expected against a Bot team Castletown won 98-0 scoring 16 tries in the game. MoM was scrum half, Nathan McNiece (who scored 1 try). Not much else to say here other than job done (even if it was normal intensity!).

Round 2
    Castletown vs Baltimore Celtics (B) 98-0
    Another 98-0 win. Castletown are nothing if not consistent. Another 16 try victory , same MoM in Nathan McNiece (no try this week though). Again best we can say is job done. Onwards to round 3!

Round 3
    Castletown vs Kinvara Clippers (B) 64-0
    Another cup game against a bot, another bot beaten. This time only by 64 points!!A different MoM in Fionn McConnell (2nd centre). Again nothing more to say. Expected win as expected.

Round 4
    Castletown vs Yermen
    So the first cup match against real live opposition. Yermen are a wiley team who have been around the block (winning their first trophy in season 6). So will there be a div 4 team shocking a div 2 team? I cant see it myself. I think we'll be following Yermen for round 5!! I'm expecting a 80 points plus win here for Yermen (even with a B team @wnwim)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Right, in an attempt to help Fewfew in his new role and to get a bit of new discussion going around here I thought I'd have a go at this. Basically its a thread where, if you feel like writing any blackout article, you can stick it down. Fewfew can then go on and stick them on blackout, adding to the whole community. We are used to the old match reports, national team results etc. So lets add something different.
    Write an opinion piece on this weeks feature of the week. Write about the ME2. Write about the future of the Irish blackout community.
    This is an opportunity to get some juicy chat going. It also gives people a chance to respond to your piece.

I'll kick it off. Hopefully this goes well.

Who has a youth academy? Do you find it worthwhile? Will you hold onto it long term?

YA will be gone this week I fear. Heading out of cup on Weds courtesy of Apoel so without the extra money, I will be shedding it. Prob keep a scout just for U20s. It's a real shame but I think in my clubs current state, its Div 2 survival or YA. Long run Div 2 is more important for me.

crisco10 wrote: »
    YA will be gone this week I fear. Heading out of cup on Weds courtesy of Apoel so without the extra money, I will be shedding it. Prob keep a scout just for U20s. It's a real shame but I think in my clubs current state, its Div 2 survival or YA. Long run Div 2 is more important for me.

I'm the exact same. Shedded the YA last week. I've too many good prospects coming through and too many old heads keeping up my club. Need to afford to keep the young lads on til the middle lads can replace the old lads.

Round 4 result : CASTLETOWN 0-119 Yermen

YERMEN YERMEN YERMEN YERMEN
    This was the chant around the stadium. The chanting was so infectious even the Castletown fans joined in!!

The Yermen steamroller came to town and score 18 unanswered tries, 13 conversions and even kicked a penalty for good measure. Centre Alex Marshall was MoM for Yermen in this one side demolition job.

So onto round 5. YERMEN vs Chocolate Chompers
    We follow the winner and Yermen was some winner!! So who are Yermen? Managed by Marvel they've been around the block (since April 2009). They currently lie in last place in Div II.2, winning their first division (IV.36) in season 7. Star player is Finlay Audley -280k +csr of no 8 player. The real star of the show is Oising Johnston the out half.

For their prize of victory Yermen are rewarded with a home game against Chocolate Chompers. Chocies are a Div III.15 team who got here after a 78-0 win over Moonshine Bulls (managed by a former NT manager). So they cant be that much of a pushover.

Still- I think our Yermen should safely progress to round 6. Home advantage and that mesmorizing chant should be the difference. Yermen by 20 points

Round 4 result YERMEN 21-10 Chocolate Chompers. http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=11583023&report=1

Yermen march on, but not as easily as expected. The Choccies went all out LTNT against Yermens wnwim. With no previous matches between them there were no scores to settle. There are now! In an evenly fought game (pretty much everything was 50-50 in the stats!) it was poor discipline that cost the Choccies the game. Still YERMEN march on.

Round 5 sees YERMEN play Simpletons in the last 64

Simpletons are rooted to the bottom of Div 1, and Yermen are rooted to the bottom of Div II.2 so the cup could be the last chance of any successful season for both these clubs. Home advantage (and that mesmorizing fans chant) should help Yermen, but if Simpletons go all out, then they should walk away with this match.
    Verdict : Sorry to say it, but I think we'll be following somebody else in the next round of the cup. Simpletons by 30+ points

Cup Diary 6 Round

Result: YERMEN 57-10 Simpletons (http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=11584458&player=9375234)

LTNT vs WNWIM. YERMEN had a go and YERMEN won…and won well…sowell you wonder if they wasted a LTNT. But who cares!!! A converted six tryrout with MOM Oisin Johnston scoring 32 of the 57 points sealed the deal forYermen and their thunderous home support. The secret 16th man isn’t sosecret anymore! The cheered every try, tackle and turnover home for Yermen.

Our YERMEN boys march on to the last 32 where they getanother home game. This time its vs The Dannys of 2nd place in DIVIII.4. The effort of getting to 2nd in the division and the last 32of the cup have taken its toll on the energy levels of The Dannys. Yermen withsurprisingly good energy levels should have the edge even at normal.

Verdict : The YERMEN juggernaut to reward the home fans withanother big win to take them through to the last 16. Yermen by 30points.

come on the dannys have only lost 2 games in all comps this season but a tnt last weekend hasnt helped me

come on the dannys have only lost 2 games in all comps this season but a tnt last weekend hasnt helped me

I figured your energy is so bad you couldnt possibly do anything other than wnwim..otherwise you'll get too many injuries and have even less chance for league.

But if you want to go for it and try and prove me wrong, i'll make that point in the next article. Guts or glory as they say :P:P

daheff wrote: »
    I figured your energy is so bad you couldnt possibly do anything other than wnwim..otherwise you'll get too many injuries and have even less chance for league.

But if you want to go for it and try and prove me wrong, i'll make that point in the next article. Guts or glory as they say :P:P

looking at my energy im wondering why is it so low iv only tntd one game i suppose iv had a few normals alright.

the offer is tempting id love to win and im already overachieving in the league so nothing to be lost from it really

• Advertisement

RESULT YERMEN 46-0 The Danny's

Yermen win again and move on to the last 16 of the cup. The Danny's poor energy persuaded their manager Seanand to throw in the towel before the game even started. A wnwim vs Yermens normal meant an easy 6 try victory for Her men. MoM Alex Marshall in the centre played only well enough for the press to give this performance 5 stars. His 2 tries & assist convinced as mom.

So for the last 16 match YERMEN play div1s Tralee Titans away from home (for a change). This game looks like it could be a step to far YERMEN...but let's not write them off completely.It'll be tough, but let's keep cheering for YERMEN to keep the dream alive for at least one more game.
    Verdict:The heart says YERMEN, but the head says Tralee by 25 :(

Advertisement