Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Access golf by public transport in Dublin?

• 03-10-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I moved to Dublin city centre 2 years ago and I have a set of clubs. I've been playing golf casually for years. I don't have a car and I've graduated from college.

I'd absolutely love to play every weekend and really get involved in the game but I've assumed it's as good as impossible to play golf in Dublin without a car but is that absolutely the case?

I get the feeling from scanning threads that elm park and milltown etc are very expensive even if I could get a pencil bag and get a bus out to them. The value seems to be on courses out on the M50 which are very difficult to access by public transport. I'm going to call elm park just on the off chance because it's not far away but I'm not optimistic.

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice from golfers who might have a solution/ suggestion? I don't expect one but I thought I'd throw a thread out there just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Raisins wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I moved to Dublin city centre 2 years ago and I have a set of clubs. I've been playing golf casually for years. I don't have a car and I've graduated from college.

I'd absolutely love to play every weekend and really get involved in the game but I've assumed it's as good as impossible to play golf in Dublin without a car but is that absolutely the case?

I get the feeling from scanning threads that elm park and milltown etc are very expensive even if I could get a pencil bag and get a bus out to them. The value seems to be on courses out on the M50 which are very difficult to access by public transport. I'm going to call elm park just on the off chance because it's not far away but I'm not optimistic.

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice from golfers who might have a solution/ suggestion? I don't expect one but I thought I'd throw a thread out there just in case.

Castleknock golf club is about 5 minutes walk from 37 Bus stop and about 10 minutes walk from Coolmine train station so might be an option for you

if you went southside, Greystones and Charlesland are 15 minutes walk each from Greystones train station & Luas goes near Foxrock and Leopardstown but I'm not sure on the walking distance, maybe a bit further 20+ minutes

Not sure on Howth / Deerpark / Sutton but Dart all out that way also.

Luas out to Tallaght goes near Newlands & Citywest as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Raisins wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

You could do some research via the Dublin Bus website to see which courses are served by buses. One that come to mind is Stepaside (owned by the CoCo and generally well looked after). The Enniskerry bus stops outside and its a short walk in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

13 Bus goes to Grange Castle Business Park. Not sure how close it gets to the golf club though?

Good option if you're looking for cheap & cheerful.

Plus they have an old 7 hole course if you can get out there in the early evening to get a few holes in.

Not sure about other clubs, but I'd imagine the courses out Rathfarnham direction should be reasonably accessible by bus?

Lucan golf club is probably manageable by bus too though not 100% on routes that pass by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

13 Bus goes to Grange Castle Business Park. Not sure how close it gets to the golf club though?

Good option if you're looking for cheap & cheerful.

Plus they have an old 7 hole course if you can get out there in the early evening to get a few holes in.

Not sure about other clubs, but I'd imagine the courses out Rathfarnham direction should be reasonably accessible by bus?

Lucan golf club is probably manageable by bus too though not 100% on routes that pass by
    Lucan gc and Hermitage gc both accessible by bus. The 67 drops you outside Weston estate, which is only a 3 minute walk from Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Forrest Little is a great bus stop golf course. 102 bus from Sutton Dart, Malahide Dart, or Swords.

I think Howth Golf course is also on a Bus route 31b ( I think), from town, or the Dart station, or Sutton maybe.

If you don't mind a walk, you can get to Donabate and Corballis from Donabate Dart station, Beaverstown I think too.

If you want to play a good links on the cheap, St Annes (early weekday probably only chance) is walkable from the 32 bus stop nearest.

Castlknock is a class course and worth the walk, and there was times available last Saturday anyway, for 35 euro online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Great thanks a million for all those pointers very much appreciated.

If I could get somewhere less than 40 mins away it would be great but maybe a bit ambitious. Golf itself will take 4-5 hours so another hour + each way on the bus is a lot.

I have a lot to research. Hopefully I'll get something to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The red line luas & 69 bus also runs by the entrance to city west. Not a very regularly timetabled bus route though & not sure how happy id be carrying a set of clubs on the red line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Forrest Little is a great bus stop golf course. 102 bus from Sutton Dart, Malahide Dart, or Swords.

I think Howth Golf course is also on a Bus route 31b ( I think), from town, or the Dart station, or Sutton maybe.

If you don't mind a walk, you can get to Donabate and Corballis from Donabate Dart station, Beaverstown I think too.

If you want to play a good links on the cheap, St Annes (early weekday probably only chance) is walkable from the 32 bus stop nearest.

Castlknock is a class course and worth the walk, and there was times available last Saturday anyway, for 35 euro online.

Sutton GC itself is 2 mins from the dart station

Advertisement