Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trendnet 200Mbps homeplug (pack of 2) £14.99 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Forgive the ignorance.

What is this product used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

They're used for network over power circuits.
    And a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Forgive the ignorance.

Click on the link in the OP's post and scroll down to see

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

These would be much faster than a wireless connection they would?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

vicwatson wrote: »

Amazon: 17.89€ + 3.5€ (Parcel Motel) = 21.39€
    Dabs: 21.62€ + 7.66€ (shipping) = 29.28€

Probably not a bargain but still a bit of a saving.

Forgive the ignorance.

Plug one into your router. Then plug the other one(s) somewhere else in your house and it will deliver a wired connection.
    pedatron wrote: »

Its faster than your average wireless connection. Not as fast as a very high-end wifi setup. The main advantage is stability. I tend to use wifi only for portable devices. Anything that doesnt move (desktop, console, smart TV) I prefer to use homeplug.

Of course a simple hard wired connection is always preferable when possible. These are intended for when you want a wired connection but can't run cable for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Usually yes. On the same power circuit with 200Mbps units I get 6.5MB/sec (52Mb/sec). In theory you might think a 54Mb/sec wifi connection would be better but in practice you only get a fraction of that, and the Powerline is rock-solid constant, while the wifi can vary hugely. Maybe if you have no neighbours (and hence no interference) 802.11n wifi might be faster...

As IKYS mentioned a 500Mbps unit set may not get you much more. A friend gets 7.5MB/sec but I don't know if that is optimum.

I'll add that testing with the units on different power circuits, I get 4MB/sec so always try to put them on the same circuit/ring.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

anyone knows if they come with 2 network cables? (no matter how short) or do you need to buy them separately?

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    anyone knows if they come with 2 network cables? (no matter how short) or do you need to buy them separately?
    They come with 2 short cables.

Its not recommended to plug these into a power-strip so factor that in when deciding if you need some longer cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

purchased.
    Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I can't speak for this particular brand but I found these plugs to work great. I use them coming into my bedroom desk where I got a simple network switch (like this) and have it split between Xbox and Computer

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Oscar_Drai wrote: »
    Amazon: 17.89€ + 3.5€ (Parcel Motel) = 21.39€
    Dabs: 21.62€ + 7.66€ (shipping) = 29.28€

Probably not a bargain but still a bit of a saving.

I bought 2 packs and a spool of DVDs and the delivery was free from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Purchased :) Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Would these be compatible with another brand like TP Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

These are good, I have them set up for use in the back room plugged directly into my xbox or Ps3, connection is much faster than wireless speeds.

ppshay wrote: »
    All Homeplug AV devices are inter-compatible. You just need to check if your TP-Link are Homeplug AV. All their current ones are.

Gadge wrote: »
    I bought 2 packs and a spool of DVDs and the delivery was free from Amazon.

True, orders over £25 get free shipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

WiFi has a lot of problems once you have particular building set-ups. E.g. I had a wifi set up in a house that the signal couldn't go past 4 metres upstairs.

Also if you are in an apartment block, you wouldn't believe how crammed the Wifi channels are with your neighbours signals until you use an app to show it.

So yes, they generally so win plus you can always attach a wifi router or but a homeplug with built in wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

ppshay wrote: »

I am using a few different brands of these, with xbox, laptop and satellite box connected in different parts of the house and all seem fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

They come with 2 short cables.

Its not recommended to plug these into a power-strip so factor that in when deciding if you need some longer cables.

It is better not to if possible although I find they still tend to work pretty well even if plugged into a power strip, generally unless the other electrical equipment generates lots of electrical noise (like phone chargers in particular tend to do) it doesn't hurt performance too much.

I have myus 200MBPs kit plugged into a strip with the computer PSU and monitor, and it was still an improvement of 3-4 fold over my wifi connection (wireless g) and much more stable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Our new upc router is too weak to reach upstairs in the house where one of the lads bedrooms is. Would we able to connect a wireless router upstairs to the homeplug and have another wifi signal upstairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Yep. I'm using a couple of TP-Link home plugs this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm in a bit of a situation.

Got the efibre in yesterday, and yer man put the box in the wrong room (mother-in-law never told him!). Don't know whether it's possible to swap it to the right room myself, so I figure I'll go for homeplugs instead.

I'm looking for a wifi version (if there's such a thing). Can someone suggest a 2-pack that is hardwired at the modem end and wifi'd at the other end?

I'm losing ~30mb between the front and back of the house over the wifi!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Soarer wrote: »
    I'm looking for a wifi version (if there's such a thing). Can someone suggest a 2-pack that is hardwired at the modem end and wifi'd at the other end?

You could buy the twin wired only pack in the OP and add this one which is both wired and wireless. This way you have an extra wired one for somewhere else in the house and it works out even cheaper than buying the starter twin pack from TP-Link of one wired and one wireless:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA281-Wireless-Powerline-Extender/dp/B0067GS0YO/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384342425&sr=1-2&keywords=wireless+powerline+adapter

As they are all AV, they should be compatible. I bought all TP-Links to be sure to be sure, but these are half the price.

Just bought this pair at £15.99 and it has nearly doubled my download speed! I was getting around 27 Mbps over WiFi and now I get around 47 Mbps over WiFi too but having the router in my room!

What an amazing enhancement to download speed! Upload speed though it is not as badly affected as download speed for some reason so no improvement on that.

Overall, really glad I got to know about these adaptors. They are self-sufficient, so no extra cables are required.

Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the info blade. After reading Oscar's post above, I never thought of moving the router! So I won't need the wifi version.
    Next thing is, would the one in the OP be sufficient for 50mb broadband, or would I be better off going for a 500mbps like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Thanks for the info blade. After reading Oscar's post above, I never thought of moving the router! So I won't need the wifi version.
    Next thing is, would the one in the OP be sufficient for 50mb broadband, or would I be better off going for a 500mbps like this one?

Hi Soarer.

That one you linked to was discussed here a few days ago, even though it says 500Mbps, it only has a 100Mbps ethernet port, so the cheaper one will do you.

I actually have a set of those ones on Amazon and I get about 37Mbps through them. It depends on the quality of wiring in your house and other factors such as distance etc.

• Advertisement

I have 50 mb Fiber with UPC and I get around 45 Mbps in Dublin 3. Really good value for that money.

O.D.

Advertisement