Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 Cooking Club Week 37: Apple, Carrot and Sunflower Seed Coleslaw

• 20-09-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

I had two other options in mind for the cooking club, but someone posted something similar to them recently so I went with this recipe instead. This is a simple salad, but a real family favourite. It’s perfect for a light supper, picnic or BBQ as it can be prepared well in advance and tastes just as nice the next day.

Apple, Carrot and Sunflower Seed Coleslaw, 3 portions.

Ingredients: (in order of appearance)
    2 tbsp sunflower seeds
    2 tbsp orange juice
    ~200g shredded white cabbage (or ~100g white and ~100g red, which is what I used)
    1 tbsp sunflower oil
    ½ vegetable stock cube
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    1 tsp honey
    ½ tsp dried basil
    2 dessert apples
    3 carrots
    4-6 leaves fresh basil

Method:
    Soak the sunflower seeds in the orange juice for 30-60 mins. Wash and shred the cabbage, removing the outside leaves and cores. The weight specified in the recipe refers to the shredded weight after the core has been removed. An easy way to shred the cabbage is to slice it on the slicing side of a grater (or an IKEA cheese slicer if you have one).
    Crush the stock cube into the oil and mix with vinegar, honey and dried basil in a large plastic container. Add the shredded cabbage and toss so that it becomes well coated. Removed the seeds from the apples (no need to peel them) and peel the carrots, then grate them both into the container and toss again. Chiffonade the basil leaves by stacking them on each other, roll them tightly, then slice them perpendicular to the roll. Add half the basil leaves to the container. Finally mix in the sunflower seeds and leave in the fridge until ready to serve. Garnish with the remaining basil leaves.
    I served mine with some homemade spicy garlic bread in a pot (see bonus pic). It was a very tasty dinner, the camera on my phone didn’t do it justice though :-)

Photos:

272711.jpg

The ingredients.

272712.jpg

Grating the cabbage.

272715.jpg

Bonus pic of the bread.

272716.jpg

Salad with bread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Been looking for a nice slaw recipe for a while, so thanks very much for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Excellent, will try this next weekend - barbecue season all year round here...

Advertisement