Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for a riverbus between UL and City

Options
  • 11-09-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

This would be great but I'm not sure how long it would take to get from the Hunt Museum to UL. It would need to be quicker than the bus.

Does anyone know if the Canal is still fully functional? It didn't look it when I cycled out that way the last time.
    PLANS are being hatched which will see a ‘riverbus’ service launched between the city centre and the University of Limerick.

The Voice of the River consortium, fronted by St Mary’s Park-born businessman Ray O’Halloran, are planning to utilise the Park Canal to connect the city centre with the university in Castletroy.

Under the proposals, cruisers will pick students and staff up at two terminals in the city centre - behind the Hunt Museum and at the Absolute Hotel.

Then, students and staff will be taken via the Park Canal, to the university.

Mr O’Halloran says he is hoping to get the service on the water within the next 12 months.

Stressing the cost of travel would be comparable to using a bus, he hopes it will encourage students to live in the city centre.

There is an added bonus, he said, in that as a result of having a regular cruiser service, the Park Canal will be kept cleaner.

“By having local support and local initiatives, the canal will be kept cleaner. The vandalism will stop on the canal, the drug dealing will stop on the canal. We need to bring life back onto the river. There are lots of guys up on the Plassey who have a great interest,” said Mr O’Halloran who is also planning pleasure cruises for tourists in the city and to Ardnacrusha.

The chairman of Limerick City Council’s transport committee Cllr Ger Fahy has welcomed the proposals.

“The River Shannon is a major route. For so long, we didn’t appreciate how popular the river was, and what a natural part it was of Limerick. Only in the last couple of decades, we have reversed this,” he said.

“Limerick is very fortunate to have such a major natural resource, and we should be taking advantage of it to ensure when people visit the city, they appreciate it.”

Mr O’Halloran said if the proposals get the go-ahead, three people will be employed in terms of drivers, and maintenance crew.

A major plank of the Limerick 2030 plan will see students locate in the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

I read an article about this kind of thing a few months ago, very well researched and against the idea. Will take a search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

This was planned years ago when the canal was dredged. But they didn't open the lock by lock mills, it's still blocked up AFAIK (open to correction), which would mean the canal will probably need to be dredged again and the lock reinstated before it can be used.

Also from reading the article it sounds like a pleasure cruiser will be used instead of a fit for purpose vessel. Which means much smaller passenger numbers than if it was done right.

I'd love for this to happen and be a success but if I'm right on the above, then I can't see it being viable.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

it would be nice if they done the cruises up to killaloe and down to shannon. it could be quiet successful if it is done right and not over charging. sure time wise the bus might be faster to UL but if you just left a little earlier it would be a nice trip out the canal. be a great way to spend the morning drinking coffee on the way to college.

jmch81 wrote: »
    I read an article about this kind of thing a few months ago, very well researched and against the idea. Will take a search for it.

Found it:

http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/rants/the-park-canal-why-it-should-not-be-restored/

I would of been pro a water bus to UL before reading the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Using a lock gate system, I could not see a barge getting from the Hunt Museum to UL in less than 45 minutes to an hour (depending on how many gates there were) at best.

Don't think such a system would be viable for general transport at all, but if the canal was looked after, and the land on either side of it maintained, then it could make for a smashing route for a short pleasure cruise type journey in the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

it would be nice if they done the cruises up to killaloe and down to shannon. it could be quiet successful if it is done right and not over charging. sure time wise the bus might be faster to UL but if you just left a little earlier it would be a nice trip out the canal. be a great way to spend the morning drinking coffee on the way to college.
    I priced that trip last year (Killaloe to Locke bar) with a few operators. Needed about 10-12 people and would be about €450-€500. Going down the lock at the bottom of lough derg would be something. Have a look at the 'Three men go to Ireland' TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I can't see any way how this is a viable idea.

Anyone read the link I attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

It is a good read and makes a lot of great points. From walking that route on a regular basis and having grown up around boats of all types, it is hard to see it working. It is a handy 45 minute walk (as per google maps) from Lock Quay to UL along the route. It is a lovely, but misguided, idea. It might be better to just spend the money on improving the walkways and cycle paths that are there and increasing the security. The point about getting the black bridge opened again is also something that should be done sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Changed my opinion of the proposal for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    It is a good read and makes a lot of great points. From walking that route on a regular basis and having grown up around boats of all types, it is hard to see it working. It is a handy 45 minute walk (as per google maps) from Lock Quay to UL along the route. It is a lovely, but misguided, idea. It might be better to just spend the money on improving the walkways and cycle paths that are there and increasing the security. The point about getting the black bridge opened again is also something that should be done sooner rather than later.

what I would see there is some lights, especially during Fall/Winter time. I cycle for fun but don't see myself going that route when it gets dark

Advertisement