Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying property Fionnuisce Doughiska

Options
  • 05-09-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody is familiar with fionnusice estate in doughiska. My husband and I are looking at property around the doughiska area and came across what seems good value in that estate. However such good value seems a bit too good to be true. We have an appointment for a viewing tomorrow but prior research indicates it is an unfinished estate, that properties around the one we are looking at are not lived in and there are a number of half built houses. Can anybody shed a little light on what it is like to live there? Is it worth buying in the area or would it be a complete waste of our savings! We would be looking at living there for at least 3 years and then we may have to move due to my job so we would be hoping to rent it after that period of time.

Thanks!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm not sure where Fionnuisce starts and Fearann Ri ends, but that "block" or general area is not in great shape to be honest. There's one part in particular, behind the Centra, which is very bad for unfinished houses, broken street lamps, poor footpaths and roads, no landscaping, etc, etc... Parts of it look really dodgy IMO. Actually I believe it is one of the few estates that were exempt from the property charge which tells you all you need to know.

I live in Coill Tire which is just across the park from it and it's amazing the difference the short hop across the park makes. Coill Tire and An Fiodain are meticulously landscaped and well maintained, generally a very nice estate. I think there are some reasonably priced houses / apartments for sale in there too, I'd advise looking there instead.

In terms of living in the area, it's grand. Not a whole lot of facilities nearby, but you have Centra and the Briarhill Shopping centre (Dunnes) close enough. If you work that side of the city in any of the business parks, it's ideal. There's a regular bus service into town, haven't used it much myself but it seems reliable. Taxi to city centre is €15 ish. They are currently building a school there and the old Racing Lodge hotel is being converted into a church / community centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wilmasmom

Thanks for the reply joeA3.

I just came across a website there for the residents committee and it does mention alright about broken street lamps etc. Apparently fionnusice doesn't have a management company looking after it. That is awful, especially for anyone in apartments, not like you can give the front of the house a lick of paint and a nicely cut lawn to make it look nicer! But it does explain why the house prices are half that of any other estate in the area!

No harm in looking tomorrow and I can come back with an update! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JoeA3 wrote: »
    In terms of living in the area, it's grand. Not a whole lot of facilities nearby, but you have Centra and the Briarhill Shopping centre (Dunnes) close enough. ...They are currently building a school there and the old Racing Lodge hotel is being converted into a church / community centre!

Currently building primary and secondary schools, and I think Aldi recently got PP to build too.

There's a primary health centre, Lidl, Briar Hill shopping centre (Dunnes, Ulsterbank, cafe, KFC, pharmacy newsagent, and maybe a few other shops. Also a Family Resource Centre (the only one in Galway) has a whole lot of activities happening out of it .. check them on Facebook, I can't link to it ATM. I believe there's also a youth centre (Foroige .. spelling schmelling) somewhere too. Also a large park / playground area, which open on to Merlin Park woods, which has an active Friends group. There's at least one football club based there. Doughiska Neighbourhood Centre has a few shops beside Centra - including a pharmacy.

One pub (Eastwoods) and one hotel (Clayton). Two student villages which become hostel style accommodation in the summer.

One NCT cetnre, and I'm pretty sure a garage next to it.

Just down the road in Roscam there's a GAA clubhall and fields - lots of spots activiteis and weekly cards as well. The hall has a bar, which is open for various events. The parish is currently using part of that complex, and as you said is currently converting the old hotel. They currently runs a range of religious activities, and also a book club. Also hosts an Active Retirement group (may not be using the official name, but doing the same stuff). There is a big Spar, dentist, hairdresser, drycleaners. Up the hill is Cheshire House - various people run yoga (etc) classes there, the MS Society has offices there, and the Mother & Baby group meets there.

Around the corner is the Galway Clinic, with a private A&E 12 hours per day.

Merlin Park Hospital is down the lane - or the front entrance is about 1/3 of the way to town.

Fantastic bus service to the city centre - one of the few money-making routes city services in the country. (route map, times) - which does right past Eye Cinema, and variou other pubs.

And there's an on-line news site: http://oscailblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Not a whole lot of facilities? yeah, right :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 greendrop

Hi Wilmasmam, I used to live there for almost 3 years and to be honest I am bit relived I moved (and only very close but it makes a difference).

I was also thinking about buying apartment there and very good thing about this main building in the middle (with houses facing large yard divided in small gardens) and 2 floor apartments with terraces on the top is:
    -they are very well build.
    I mean walls are not made of cardboards and you can jump or do whatever on the first floor and no one can here you in stitting room.

The houses with windows facing big shared yard are a big no no -you can hear everything and smell everything! If anyone across on the other side opens window and smoked cigarette or plays music (which was often :/ ) you could smell and hear everything.

Apartments with high terraces are great value, there is really LOADS of storage space in them and you could make your terrace very nice and great place for barbeque and chillout.

Also it is all very close to nice walking green area, to bus and there is no problem with parking.

The dark side:

This estate is very neglected: lamps are not working, its very dark during night, its not clean -there is offten litter on the grass and only volunteers used to clean it from time to time.

Now the people that live there are lets say 80% normal families or couples but there is few.... that are not so concerned about others or anything at all.
    they are loud, they litter and it could be upsetting.

Some time ago there was a group of teenagers or bit older guys that found themselves a spot to hang around and smoke dope, generally not harmful, but it wasn't a pleasure to pass them in the evening.

Also, they made social houses in the apartment block behind, so it could be interesting sometimes too.

Generally if you are not too bothered about things like litter/ lights and good or bad reputation is not that bad to live there.
    In the end nothing bad ever happened to me while I was living there.

I heard though about many bulgraries (but this could happen everywhere).
    Good locks and nightguard or other alarm system and you would be ok.

I hope this helps.

ps: If I was planning to stay here for longer than 10years I would consider buying 2 floor apartment with windows facing Merlin Woods -must be lovely during evenings.

One more thing:

In case you move out, you won't have any problem to rent it. If you check properties for rent in Doughiska, there is very little for some reason and there is demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

There is likely to be some relevant stuff in the Connacht Tribune as they just pasted this on face book:

Galway City Council is facing a bill of at least €750,000 to bring two estates in Doughiska up to standard, after they were abandoned by their developer.

Assuming Fionnuisce is involved here of course.

There are loads of facilities! I have family living in the area and I actually think it is great location based on that. I am currently living 40 miles outside where the closest shop is 4 miles away :D

Thank you for all the insight greendrop. I am slightly concerned about the reputation as it's so neglected. The apartment I am on about is in that block in the middle but isn't one of the apartments with the terrace. It is one of the corner apartments on the middle floor. Are the apartments with the social housing the ones near the ack of the estate with all th glass windows? Great to hear about the rental potential, means we can relax about the possibility I will have to move for work.

Mr_A, I read something similar to that a while back and almost certain Fionnuisce was mentioned. Will definitely pick up the city tribune tomorrow and see what it says.

I know, the one for 49 000! ;) View is not great - you have unfinished apartment block with all broken windows and thats from all 2 bedrooms, from balcony a bit of grass.
    To be honest I would go for it anyway, if your plan is not to stay there forever. The only thing I would be afraid of is who is living on second floor above it.
    All depends what kind of person you are and what is bothering you and whats not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Here is the Connacht Tribune bit on it:

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1258-750-000-bill-to-clean-up-after-bust-developer

Galway City Council is facing a bill of at least €750,000 to bring two estates in Doughiska up to standard, after they were abandoned by their developer.

However, the cost is set to soar when the extent of problems within the underground sewerage network are uncovered.

The existing estimate relates to street lighting, unfinished road surfaces, footpaths, fencing, walls and a playground which was never built by Harrmack Developments at Fionnuisce and Fearann Rí. The company has since gone into liquidation.

However, an underground CCTV survey has been taken to determine issues with cross-connections in piping – it’s already known there are problems with foul sewage entering storm water sewers and vice versa. This will increase costs even further.

The estimates for the work in Fionnuisce phases one and two and in Fearann Rí total €739,000, and there are insurance bonds in place from the developer which should cover €367,000 of this, leaving a shortfall of €372,000.

It should be borne in mind that in July, the Council wrote off a debt from Harrmack of €470,000 because of a typographical error made in conditions attached to planning permission in Doughiska.

Councillor Frank Fahy said he was “gobsmacked” by the bill for the works on the estates.

“The €750,000 doesn’t include any of the work that will have to be done to the underground system, which will be very costly and will probably involve work to private property. How was this ever allowed to happen? Somebody has got away with murder here,” said Cllr Fahy.

Director of Services for Infrastructure, Ciarán Hayes, said the Council has to assess what work needs to be done if the local authority is to take the estates in charge.

For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.

so, how did you like it?

• Advertisement

Hi greendrop,

The apartment itself was lovely and very spacious. I could definitely see potential. However because there is no management company it is not possible to get property insurance so it is just too big a risk for our savings. If there was ever a fire etc then all our hard earned money would be down the swanny! We decided to wait to see what else comes along in the future.

We didn't find the real estate agent very helpful either, there was a lot of our questions he couldn't answer such as waste management etc. these are all very important things he should of known in the absence of a property management company. He also didn't walk us through the place, he just stayed chatting to the home owner in the other room. He said he already had three offers by the time we got there so maybe he just didn't care anymore as he knew he had it sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mmm76

I've lived in Fearann Ri for the last 8 years and love the area.I think its all to easy to give an area a bad name.As Mrsobumble stated, theres a multitude of things to do things to do and how many estates can boast a state of the art primary and secondary school on their door steps.

No,there are no management companies in the area but you know that the residents did....got up of the sofas and set up a residents association themselves and took matters into their own hands.Check out their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FFCResidentsAssociation.
    In the last 3 years they have organized litter pick ups, landscaping days, door-to-door collections to keep the grass cut (€20 not bad vfm)a few of the house owners clubbed together to get their houses painted & got the street light in Fearann Ri and Caislean Thorlaigh fixed and taken in charge by GCC.The lights in Fionn Uisce will be fixed by mid-end Oct.The derelict apartments at the back of FU have been sold and will be completely renovated next year so this will improve the area further.

There will always be burglaries and a few bad apples in every area to bring it down but from my (and many of my neighbor's) experience its a great place to live with a strong sense of community of you're willing to get involved!
    Good luck in the house search!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Some estate agents are sooo useless. Also 3 offers..my ass....

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Good to hear that the street lights are taken care of. Hadn't heard about this being organised. I just remember that all the streetlights in the area were off for several weeks a few years back. I think this may have been around the time the park was being organised for opening, after sitting there as a wasteland for a couple of years.
    I thought it was a very bad idea and people were likely to be getting mugged/raped thanks to it. Think I rang up the council about it only to be told that it fell out of their hands because the estate was mainly being organised by a letting agency, though I may have details wrong. & didn't think Glendale had all of the properties in the estate even then. Think they've let bits of what they had at the time go into other hands anyway.

I noticed that there was a new looking rental sign for the estate facing the Amber House on the Doughiska rd on the other side of the park a couple of weeks back. Up where the Aldi is being built on the space that's been vacant for the last 6 years plus. Stuck in my head since i didn't think much was being done about any of the estates around here and it did look like a new sign. maybe it just replaced on e that had been there for a lot of that time but even doing that seems to signify some more interest than I thought was being given to estates around here.
    that was before i read on this thread about money being injected into the estates discussed on here.
    There is still a completed estate on the main Doughiska rd between the Amber House and the Dublin rd that has remained unoccupied since it was built 6 years plus ago. Not sure what the story on that has been/is. Would think that any property left unoccupied would automatically be devaluing through neglect & would need to be at least rewired and probably more thoroughly reshored/repaired before possible usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roche The Russian

Hi I am to move to Galway for work reasons and I was looking at buying 47 Fionn Uisce Merlin Woods, the estate agent was about as useful as I wont say what . Trying to get info from him was a waste of time ,nothing constructive all bad press,I felt like he was trying to
    put me off it. He has a bid on the place exactly for what its advertised at {bull s--t}. The most he could tell me was it had no management company and so no insurance.No bin collection and that the roof leaked a few years ago and the ceilings fell in but were repaired. Does anyone know was that apartment ever lived in or are the one above and below lived in at the present . What is the area actually like, we stayed in briar hill last week ,never knew about the property when i was there {ejit me }. Seems a nice area around there anyway. Any info would be appreciated . Thanks regards Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mmm76

Hi Brian,
    I live in the area but don't know anything about that particular property. Try putting a post on the residents association Facebook page for information.
    FFCResidentsAssociation

Its a great area to buy as they is going to be a lot of work carried out there in the next year or two.The whole area should be finished out properly the next 2 yrs.So now is the time to buy.Its so close to everything and a lot of families live here because the school i so close.
    Best of luck.

wilmasmom wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody is familiar with fionnusice estate in doughiska. My husband and I are looking at property around the doughiska area and came across what seems good value in that estate. However such good value seems a bit too good to be true. We have an appointment for a viewing tomorrow but prior research indicates it is an unfinished estate, that properties around the one we are looking at are not lived in and there are a number of half built houses. Can anybody shed a little light on what it is like to live there? Is it worth buying in the area or would it be a complete waste of our savings! We would be looking at living there for at least 3 years and then we may have to move due to my job so we would be hoping to rent it after that period of time.

Thanks!! :D
    Did you ever buy the property ?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Hi I am to move to Galway for work reasons and I was looking at buying 47 Fionn Uisce Merlin Woods, the estate agent was about as useful as I wont say what .

A chocolate fire guard ?

An ashtray on a motorbike ?

A chocolate teapot ?

A red light on Grand Theft Auto ?

A grave robber in a crematorium ?

A carpet fitters ladder ?

Mudguards on a tortoise ?

A one legged man at an a** kicking competition ?

A trap door on a lifeboat ?

Jesus ,is it that bad a spot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement