Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 38: Simple Sides

Options
  • 04-09-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to do a couple of easy side dishes, which I use a lot. One's a salad - Apple & Radish Slaw. One's a hot veg dish - Sweet Potato Mash.

Apple & Radish Slaw

Ingredients
    1 x crunchy apple, such as Pink Lady, or Braeburn
    A handful of radishes
    A handful of chopped coriander (parsley for the coriander haters!)
    A couple of tbsps of sour cream
    A couple of tsps of cider vinegar
    Half a tsp of caster sugar
    Pinch of sea salt
    Some black pepper

Ingredients1_zpsb4e32650.jpg

(I forgot to put the caster sugar in the picture, and the sour cream is in the ramekin, and my pepper mill is ridiculously large and won't even fit in the picture!)

Anyhoo, julienne the radish and apple:

Chopped_zpsc7981ee8.jpg

Throw the chopped herbs, apple and radish in a bowl and mix. Combine the sour cream , cider vinegar, sugar and seasoning and mix well. Add the dressing to the slaw mix to taste. I like a creamy salad, but my boyfriend likes his kind of dry!

Finished_zps7bbe647a.jpg

This serves 2-3 people as a side. I'll often chop the radish and apple ahead of time and store in the fridge in a bowl of lemoy water, which makes it very quick to put together. I used this in a roll with the infamous Pulled Pork recently and it was really good!

Sweet Potato Mash

Ingredients
    2 x large sweet potatoes
    1 x large regular potato
    1 x red chilli pepper
    About 30g feta cheese
    A handful of coriander (oh yeah, here it is again!)
    Half a lime
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    A couple of tbsps mango chutney
    Drizzle of olive oil

Ingredients2_zps6276b1b5.jpg

This a slight variation on a Jamie Oliver recipe, but I'll spare you the Essex lingo. wink.png Peel and chop the spuds - sweet and regular.

Chopped2_zps05a770ac.jpg

Crumble the feta and chop the herb-of-choice and chilli:

Chopped3_zpsf60cf882.jpg

Boil the spuds till they are tender then mash roughly. Add the Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and lime juice, and mash through.

Mash_zps955741de.jpg

Add the herbs and chilli and stir through. Finally add in the crumbled feta and chutney and stir gently.

Mix_zps936c3eab.jpg

This serves two people as a side, depending on what you eat with it. I think this is really good with pan-fried fish or just some sauted greens (broccoli, asparagus, bok choi, green beans) as a light dinner. I sometimes add in some fried lardons for more bacony goodness! biggrin.png

Finished2_zpse5496ea1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've been eating a lot of fish lately and this'll go lovely with it. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,428 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just made the potato and feta one for dinner tonight - fantastic stuff. The chilli really makes it, though next time I'll spend more time trying to chop as finely as I can. Didn't bother me but my girlfriend isn't a huge fan of spice and biting in to small pieces was maybe a bit too much for her.

Advertisement