Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 8GB £159, 16GB £199

Options
  • 28-08-2013 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

The Google Play store UK has a price drop on the (unlocked) Nexus 4.

8GB model was £239 and is now £159
    16GB model was £279 and is now £199

I bought one a few months ago. Created a Google Wallet account with my Irish mastercard, set my Northern Ireland Parcelmotel address as the shipping and billing address and bought the nexus 4 that way.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_8GB?id=nexus_4_8gb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Just nabbed myself one, and just came here to post! :D Cost me about €200 for an 8GB delivered. Delighted, because I've been looking at one for ages. And tbh it was at a cheap price before today's discount. Go quick guys, they'll be ate up!

Edit: Also shipping date is coming up at 1st September for me. May be waiting a while for it to come, with Parcel Motel and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Amazing price. Fantastic piece of kit. Pile in!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

i am very tempted but only thing that's putting me off is that there no SD slot
    might just get the 16 gb one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Great deal. Pity I already bought one!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for the heads-up lads.

Bought a 16GB using TunnelBear (VPN), Google Wallet and Parcel Motel.

£208.99 was the total.

PS - was gonna buy one after I got back from holidays via Flubit, but when they changed their Amazon policy - I didn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭paikea

Howdy Partners,

What are the benefits of buying the Nexus 4 that way against paying €24.40 a month plus €269.99 one off to Meteor for a Galaxy S4?

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/galaxy-S4

Well, that taking in consideration that one would need a data plan with a provider anyway. Not playing smart here, I just want to see if I am missing something.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The no SD slot is a deal breaker

I have 32 gb on my current and its almost maxed out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

paikea wrote: »
    Howdy Partners,

What are the benefits of buying the Nexus 4 that way against paying €24.40 a month plus €269.99 one off to Meteor for a Galaxy S4?

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/galaxy-S4

Well, that taking in consideration that one would need a data plan with a provider anyway. Not playing smart here, I just want to see if I am missing something.

Cheers!

If you buy a phone out right, you can avail of cheaper plans from the likes of lyca mobile. Ranging from €9 for 100MB and 150 texts and minutes to 29.99 unlimited everything. http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/Bundles
    Much better value when you add it up over the duration of the meteor contract. And if you don't like them you can change to someone else, as there is no contract involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Jonny7 wrote: »

I have an 8GB internal storage on my phone and have only used about 4GB. Depends what you use it for. If it is your main camera and mp3 player too, you need a fair bit of storage all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I have an 8GB internal storage on my phone and have only used about 4GB. Depends what you use it for. If it is your main camera and mp3 player too, you need a fair bit of storage all right.

With the 5 GB, does the OS use any of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Jonny7 wrote: »

It depends, if you have a good data plan and buy into the google ethos there isn't a problem. All my music is on google music so I just stream it, photos upload to dropbox automatically so I have to clear them off every now and again but that's not exactly much of an issue.

I had an S3 and I much, much prefer the nexus

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

I'm getting "devices not available in your country" just yet.
    Anyone else getting that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've a €35 unlimited plan with emobile. If I find a better deal that suits I can switch easily. Handy for traveling abroad. Can use local sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

gflann wrote: »
    I'm getting "devices not available in your country" just yet.
    Anyone else getting that?

Yes, you can't buy google devices in Ireland yet. There are work arounds for it, have a look in the stickied threads in the android forum. The flubit one isn't really current anymore as they are now just dealing with amazon. You basically have to fool google into thinking you are in the UK and get parcel motel to deliver it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

You must have uk ip number to gain access to Nexus devices. Vpn is your friend or someone who lives over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Does everyone get charged £9.99 postage or was that just me? I ask because I couldn't get it to work for a while with tunnel bear, then it eventually worked, but says I bought from google dublin on receipt! I then went to switch off tunnel bear and it was already off so it appears I ordered in £ from the Irish google store. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

They are all sold out of Google Dublin, its one of the Tax dodging things. Selling from Ireland but not to the irish, gotta love them.. Might have to pick this up as a spare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

link doesnt work for me, or is that because i need to use tunnel bear to view it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Might have to trawl an entire 4 posts back to answer that!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86242086&postcount=17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 oldholborn888

Exactly. You need to use Tunnel Bear. The one problem I've had is when asked for a telephone number for the credit card billing address. What are people entering as won't accept any form of Irish number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

You can give flubit link from amazon to Nexus phone and see what price they offer... if it is decent then it may make sense to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

September1 wrote: »
    You can give flubit link from amazon to Nexus phone and see what price they offer... if it is decent then it may make sense to use them.
    From reading the other Nexus 4 thread in the Android forum, Amazon price's have gone up this morning. Not close to what Google Play are offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

16GB storage is useless. Fook that. I know what your saying about streaming music etc but data is unreliable in certain parts

(trying to justify my recent s3 purchase)

But hey, for most people 16GB will be enough. 8GB is a joke though these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Basq wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads-up lads.

Bought a 16GB using TunnelBear (VPN), Google Wallet and Parcel Motel.

£208.99 was the total.

PS - was gonna buy one after I got back from holidays via Flubit, but when they changed their Amazon policy - I didn't bother.

how did they change their policy?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sounds like the replacement for the Nexus 4 might be coming soon.

Still an excellent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Basq wrote: »
    From reading the other Nexus 4 thread in the Android forum, Amazon price's have gone up this morning. Not close to what Google Play are offering.

It is not that relevant, they require to get Amazon link and then they make offer. If you like offer you buy, otherwise you might reject it and as a reason give them link to cheaper product somewhere else. I think switching to Amazon for "original" offer would mean for them more offers rejected, not less work...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

crazygeryy wrote: »
    how did they change their policy?

They only accept Amazon URLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Ordered this with a little bit of hassle, but mostly grand.

I set up a Parcel Motel account, and went on to Google Play using Tunnel Bear. I had to clear my cache to get the UK site though. I ordered the phone, and then logged in with my normal Google account. I put in the Parcel Motel address for delivery, and used my Irish card with my Irish address but with the country set to UK (no choice there), and the Parcel Motel postal code. I got an "Oops technical error" the first time, but the next time it went through fine.

Thanks for the heads up on this, it's a great deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I ordered the 16gb and seen the money is taking from my card,I thought the didnt take it till the shipped it?

Advertisement