Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Mix your own" thread.

Options
  • 08-08-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was thinking that we could do with a thread to cover the basics of how to go about mixing your own juice.

What do you need? This starter kit from The Alchemists Cupboard seems like a good place to start.
    How do you mix/experiment? How much should you make at a time while experimenting?
    What's the best PG/VG mix ratio?
    When mixing flavours, is it trial and error or is there a procedure laid down for it?
    Can you buy pre-mixed flavour concentrate for the popular flavours out there?
    Do you need to add sweetener to fruit concentrates?
    How long should you let it steep?

Please post your experiences and hints/tips. If it gets decent input may I suggest it be incorporated into a sticky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

So far i've had no success :(

I get my base liquids from Alba Vapours in the uk and my flavours from Inawera.
    So far i've tried 50/50 and now i'm trying to get something working in about 70/30.
    The Alchemists cupboard has a few recipies on it so give them a shot and see what happens or try your own. It is kinda like mix and match and hope for the best but you never know the first juice you mix could be the best juice you've ever tried.
    Dont think the popular flavours come in concentrate as everyone would make it and the original mixer would stop making money off of it.
    Never bought any sweetener but it could help.
    My current mix i mixed in a 10 ml bottle and it's been stepping about a week. I wouldnt make any more then that as if its a bogey mix then you're down however much you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Most of the answers to the questions are subjective, it really depends on what you like yourself in relation to the mix you use but yea don't mix large batches till your sure the batch is right. Also look up and use one of the mixing calculators to make sure you use the right volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

So far i've had no success :(

Dont think the popular flavours come in concentrate as everyone would make it and the original mixer would stop making money off of it

Sorry to hear of your non success :( Things will get better, I promise :)

One of the very few pre-made brands which have a (full) range of concentrates are Mom n Pops, available here http://www.leisureliquids.com/
    L/L are also now selling the original Mom n Pops too, wonder how that'll fare...

Oddly enough not everyone would want to make their own, not even to save the extra money, they couldn't be bothered with the faffing
    - P Busardo (of all people) doesn't. Personally, I have all the gear but have yet to dabble - I saw a YouTube the other night and yer man made it look so easy, we shall see...

I'm thinking bout building up a massive great stockpile of nic and concentrates for when The Day arrives - enough to make about three years' worth and during that time I can think about giving up vaping - of course I'm sure there'll be some other way to obtain pre-made juice but I'm gonna have my stash anyway - beautifully housed in its' own WARDROBE!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pkjnr

best advice i can give..is mix on a digital scales...1ml is 1gramme...people usually go wrong with the drops method..which is so inacurate..these scales are cheap and i mix 100mls at a time..which is enough for me..just sit the bottle on a piece of kitchen roll and zero the scales..dont get juice on the scales as it will render it unuseable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

best advice i can give..is mix on a digital scales...1ml is 1gramme...people usually go wrong with the drops method..which is so inacurate..these scales are cheap and i mix 100mls at a time..which is enough for me..just sit the bottle on a piece of kitchen roll and zero the scales..dont get juice on the scales as it will render it unuseable!

Syringes with 20gauge needles cost next to nothing and don't get rendered useless when juice drops on them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

pkjnr wrote: »
    1ml of Water is 1 gram. 1ml of anything else is not. You are starting from a flawed premise so are probably more inaccurate than you think.

I suppose if you mix everything (pg/vg, nice and flavoring) using weight rather than volume then you will at least have consistency but their weight by volume are probably all different and transferring your mix ratios to volume will give a very different result.
    One other thing, 1g on a normal cheap household digital scales is very inaccurate. 100g might be 99g and that's fine for cooking but an indicated 10g could be 15g in reality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The only thing I'll say about the alchemist cupboard stuff is, the VG is diluted, so a 50/50 mix is kinda watery!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

can VG be bought local ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

In a lot of pharmacies, yes.

I bought a kit from The alchemist cupboard and made up a few different mixes at 50/50 and 70/30 and they seemed very runny ,
    i was wondering if the cause was the VG being diluted , flavor was OK and i vaped them anyway ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I've been mixing my own juice for a few months now with great success.

I've got concentrates from a few different suppliers, my pg I get on ebay from 'mineral waters ltd' their shop is down till the 15 th Aug so unable to post a link. My VG I get from local chemists. I first started using nic from bargain vapours but now get it from the states a litre at a go.I have some em crystals i use as a sweetner, these are dissolved in pg.Loads of different size syringes and large gauge needles and all my empty bottles from when I bought juice.I got a load of amber glass bottles from a supplier in Wiclow that I decant and store my nic in..

I use a very simple calculator app on my phone, here's a screen snap of a 2 ml sample,I only do 2 mls at a time when trying new receipes, this is ample to try in a dripper to test. If its muck, only pennies wasted. If its nice its very easy to mix up larger batches using the calc.
    EFEFEAAA-58E0-435A-BA52-420B18BEC8EF-5575-0000041BB1D95922_zps1a6e70fb.jpg
    Scuse the huge photo, I've not really mastered/can't be arsed resizing.

The easiest way I've found when trying multiple mixes is to just make up my base, vg / pg / nic at about 10 mgs in a large batch then just add 2 mls to each bottle on top of the concentrates I'm trying.

Eg :- using calculator sample above, base in a syringe.

4 drops of concentrate
    1.8 mls base

It's not exactly precise cos of differences in drops per ml and of course dilutes the 10 mg of nic but it works fine and makes mixing for me v simple and quick. I adjust the % of concentrate up or down depending on taste after steeping for a week or two.

When mixing large batches of stuff I like I always mix in this order...
    Concentrate
    Vg
    Pg
    Nic
    Never shake the sh!t out of it, just gentle

Hope that makes sense, if not I blame the vino :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I would love to try a cola flavoured one.
    Just looking at the Alchemist cupboard and trying to find recipes. So i figure i just need the nic, pg and vg and cola flavour? Just chance my arm and see what works? WOuld I need sweeter or anything else?

Yeah. Different cola concentrates from different manufacturers will taste different or need different percentages.
    Googling whatever flavour and the brand with the word 'percentage' will generally bring you to a thread on ECF where people have tried it.

Can Ethyl Maltol Crystals be bought locally ? or could someone suggest an alternative sweetener

Stevia. I think most shops only carry the tabs that might use a binding agent but you can find pure Stevia in some health shops or buy the powder on Amazon. Read the info on ECF about it, it's incredibly powerful/concentrated so only a few drops necessary depending on the solution you make.
    It's much better as a sweetener than EM. EM candifies things whereas Stevia has a bright, zingy sweetness (which, oh dear god, can be overwhelming if you don't use sparingly).

Thanks Grindle
    I was out earlier and bought some Glycerine from boots 150ml for 4.20
    Going to try a few health food shops for that Stevia now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

tesco stocks 3 or 4 different brands of stevia - liquid, tabs and powder. the liquid tastes more 'mellow' and less like aspartame than the powder but the powder would be probably be easier for DIY. it's shockingly sweet stuff though.

i got some in superquinn pure via granules now next question how much to mix ? it says on the packet 1 tea spoon = 1 teaspoon of sugar thinking of mixing this with pg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

grindle wrote: »
    Stevia. I think most shops only carry the tabs that might use a binding agent but you can find pure Stevia in some health shops or buy the powder on Amazon. Read the info on ECF about it, it's incredibly powerful/concentrated so only a few drops necessary depending on the solution you make.
    It's much better as a sweetener than EM. EM candifies things whereas Stevia has a bright, zingy sweetness (which, oh dear god, can be overwhelming if you don't use sparingly).

Do you reckon this Stevia extract in Glycerine looks like it would be ok for vaping?

Ingredients
    Vegetable Glycerine, Better Stevia [Certified Organic Stevia Extract (Stevia rebauydiana) (Leaf)] De-ionized Water and Purified Stevia Extract (Stevia rebaudiana) (Leaf)

Looks surprisingly perfect for vaping.

Not sure what the concentration is like in it but use sparingly just in case! Too much Stevia tastes much worse than too little, especially if you're sensitive to sweetness. Add drops at a time per 10ml.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I made a 50/50 mix the other day

The stuff tastes great but is like gloop...

Anyone have any experience with DKS flavouring from bargain vapour?

ghogie91 wrote: »

Anyone have any experience with DKS flavouring from bargain vapour?

that gloopiness i believe us down to the 50% vg, mine did the same thing till i dropped to 30% vg

that gloopiness i believe us down to the 50% vg, mine did the same thing till i dropped to 30% vg

Gonna try that this evening

I am out of dropper bottles, any suggestions on a good alternative container?

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Gonna try that this evening

I am out of dropper bottles, any suggestions on a good alternative container?

using them for putting the mix in? if so just clean out another enpty bottle you might have. im using 10ml plastic bottles for mine

using them for putting the mix in? if so just clean out another enpty bottle you might have. im using 10ml plastic bottles for mine

Mine are all full sorry that's what I meant

What else could you mix in? Medicine bottles?

Bloody hell, I use 70-75% Pure Glycerine (not the slightly watered down version they sell in most ecig shops)

Much Smoother Flavour and much more Vapor too - gloopy for sure though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pkjnr

my scales arent cheap households scales..precision jewelry scales actually!

ive a large scales in work thats really accurate and have weights to make sure that its reading right and these weights read the same on my small scales i use for mixing..

as for the 1gm/1ml..it still works,as its a percentage measure at the end and it all ends up right for me.

if your really gonna be fussy about measurements,you cant really say that syringes could be more accurate than a well calibrated scales...your reading the measures by eye-so there could easily be a fraction of difference there.

its all just advice for the op-choose what you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Well I got some concentrates and couldn't wait for the starter kit to come from the Alchemists Cupboard so I thought I'd pop into the chemist to get PG/VG....

The VG I got was 100ml of Glycerine BP for €2.69. Reckon it'll be grand.
    Then I asked for PG. It's feckin prescription only!! And it's €20-odd for 500ml!!

Madness.

Then I asked for PG. It's feckin prescription only!! And it's €20-odd for 500ml!!

Try Bakery or Cooking supply shops .. its used to make the likes of Brownies / Muffins and Ice Cream

or

Ebay

Its under 50 euro inc delivery for 5 litres ;) or a Tenner Inc delivery for a liter (delivery being the expensive bit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Ah goddammit.

After waiting and waiting for the order from Alchemist to arrive, I decided to check if it was stopped by customs mail centre.

I rang them (057 8634600) to check and no joy. They said if they had stopped it (which they generally wouldn't from Europe anyway) I would've been notified immediately.

So I've got back onto Alchemist and I think they've to open an investigation with Royal Mail. Judging by the exposés on them recently, I reckon it was pocketed and there's no way of finding out for probably another couple of weeks. Add another couple of weeks for a re-delivery....

SOOO, I'm looking for PG, VG and Nic base by the end of the week.

Who do I order from? ESI are out of Nic. VapeRus don't sell it (afaia), and I have no experience with any other sellers.

Advertisement