Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moonlight Challenge 20km Trial Race 16/11/2013

Options
  • 04-08-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

The 4th annual Glen of Imaal Mountain Rescue Team's Moonlight Challenge Walk & Run takes place this year on November 16th.

To mark the Glen Team's 30th anniversary, this year sees the Challenge taking in the Glens of Wicklow with the walkers visiting Glendasan, Glendalough, Glenealo & Glenmalure while runners will use a separate route joining the Glen of Imaal to Glenmalure.

The run will be 20km (700m climb) at night on a variety of trails with all junctions marked.

Further details will appear shortly on

www.moonlightchallenge.com
    www.facebook.com/GlenofImaalMR

And I'll be here to answer questions and offer updates as they happen.

Hope to see some of you there.

PosNeg
    (Paul Nolan, GOIMRT)

Rate this race on (Views of the Moon, Atmosphere, Value and Organisation) 2 votes

Excellent
    0%
    Very Good
    50%
    wrstan 1 vote
    Good
    50%
    trailrunner 1 vote
    OK
    0%
    Poor
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PosNeg

Entries open and coming in at a steady rate.

Just to clear up a bit of confusion. The run costs €50. Every cent of which (over event expenses) goes towards the annual cost of running The Glen rescue team.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Very Good
    Looks like a great event and a very worthy cause. Subject to ironing out a few domestic responsibilities I hope to be in.

Large group from work entering the walk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 raidieannie

Hi,

this looks like a great event. I'm currently training for the dublin marathon in october. (my first!)

would love to transfer from road to trail after this. just wondering would much experience be needed for this and is it too close to the marathon!? (please say no!!!)

also, i'll be doing it on my own as all my friends have disowned me!! HAAHA (bit daunting)

:))

Hi,

this looks like a great event. I'm currently training for the dublin marathon in october. (my first!)

would love to transfer from road to trail after this. just wondering would much experience be needed for this and is it too close to the marathon!? (please say no!!!)

also, i'll be doing it on my own as all my friends have disowned me!! HAAHA (bit daunting)

:))

Good luck with your marathon debut.

You'll have nearly 3 weeks of recovery post marathon so all going well in Dublin there should be nothing of concern on that front. As for experience, if you are happy to run mixed hilly trails on a cold November night with (hopefully) a full moon and head torch to guide you then we'd love to have you.

Warm running kit, a decent jacket, good head torch, a small backpack/bum bag and a strong dose of determination are all you'll need. We'll have all the junctions marked and a few manned checkpoints along the way to keep you on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 raidieannie

PosNeg wrote: »
    Good luck with your marathon debut.

You'll have nearly 3 weeks of recovery post marathon so all going well in Dublin there should be nothing of concern on that front. As for experience, if you are happy to run mixed hilly trails on a cold November night with (hopefully) a full moon and head torch to guide you then we'd love to have you.

Warm running kit, a decent jacket, good head torch, a small backpack/bum bag and a strong dose of determination are all you'll need. We'll have all the junctions marked and a few manned checkpoints along the way to keep you on track.

I'm very happy to run hilly trails in the middle of the night in November (for some reason that sounds like fun!)

I'm overdosing on determination at the moment and the rest can go on the credit card!

count me in :)

thanks for the quick reply! EXCITED and great cause :)

• Advertisement

With entry to the Moonlight Challenge walk now closed pressure for places on the run is likely to increase.

If you're thinking of entering the run, best to act soon to avoid possible disappointment.

All places have now been filled. You can add your name to the waiting list if you are still keen to run.

Very Good
    Do we really have to carry all that gear listed as mandatory in the info pack?

I'm really looking forward to it. I've heard there is a big waiting list for this. A great challenge for the organisers!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Anyone able to advise on footwear please?
    I have a choice between full on soft studded mountain running shoes or regular road runners
    I get the impression there will be a lot of fire road and not that much slop which makes me think the road runners might be best?
    Doing the run
    Thanks

j0hn1 wrote: »
    I have a choice between full on soft studded mountain running shoes or regular road runners

The initial descent from Table Mt is a bit mucky in parts but the rest of the route will be more comfortable in road runners.

Was up there lastnight doing a comms check. If the weather is the same come Saturday it will be a stunning night on the hills.

• Advertisement

Sorry if it is mentioned elsewhere but can't find the answer on Facebook or website
    What time are we starting at tomorrow?
    Thanks

j0hn1 wrote: »
    What time are we starting at tomorrow?
    Thanks

I've PM'd details to you. See you this evening.

Got that pm thanks
    Checking back now the second email got stuck in my spam box, damn gmail *shakes fist*
    See you this evening

Very Good
    Well done on a fantastic event Paul

What an experience! The organisation on the night was flawless as far as I was concerned. But what a feeling being up in the clouds on Table Mountain, in the bubble of my head torch with the rest of the world blacked out, nothing visible other than the ground for my next stride.

This was my first experience of running with a head torch, and my first real mountain run, and boy did it feel good.

I'll definitely be back again. Hope you and your team are getting a well deserved rest this morning.

Only one question - where was this moon you talk about! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The moon was shining down on us walkers, I have to agree with you, it was an excelent event.

Advertisement