Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmares and Losing Sleep?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I done a search in this forum but couldn't find any previous info but please redirect me if this has been posted before.

Small bit of background: I'm a 26 year old male, been smoking approx 15 a day for about 10 years. Decided earlier in the year that I wanted to quit so I got Allen Carr's audiobook at the start of May, spent about 3 weeks getting through it all. May 23rd was my first smoke-free day and I haven't smoked since so it's been almost three weeks. I've noticed my breathing getting much better and my fitness is much better than it was.

However, my sleeping pattern has been completely messed up since and I'm having a lot of nightmares (not nightmares about smoking, just about normal scary stuff). I thought this might be normal for a few days but three weeks is a long time for this to still be going on. I also still wake up with that crappy taste in my mouth as if I'd been smoking the night before (which I haven't) and a sore throat sometimes too. I appreciate that everyone's body will react differently but is this normal after this length of time? I'm beginning to get slightly worried. Cravings have pretty much gone completely but I'm wondering when these other side effects will go.

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who was in a similar situation when they quit. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

I don't think there is any need to worry, most of the stuff is just your body healing itself.
    I had lots of dreams but I was putting it down to taking champix but I really believe it happens no matter what way you quit.
    I am nearly 4 months smoke free and I am getting more restful sleep now.
    I would suggest sticking with it for another couple of weeks and then think of going to your gp.
    Btw congrats!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Yeah it's pretty normal to have many nightmares and a bad sleeping pattern after you quit. Mine lasted just over a month before I started getting back to normal!

The dreams are very vivid which can cause alarm but don't worry it wil pass. Just keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Thanks guys and cheers for the support. I was starting to worry a bit but hopefully I'll be back to normal soon enough. I managed to have a full nights sleep last night too which was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarwal

Ah something to look forward to- not , haven't heard of nightmare at least I know they won't last when/ if they happen- thanks posting this massdebater and great for you being off smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cheers Sar. Yeah, I was extremely skeptical about the Allen Carr book before I started so I was very surprised at how easy it was to stop. The fact that he tells you to smoke until you've completely finished the book was the key for me, I think. I had set a date in my head of when I was going to quit but I ended up quitting a day early cause I was so turned off smoking by then. Complacency is my biggest potential downfall at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement