Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding photography through the lens

Options
  • 12-06-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Does anyone know if through the Lens photography company is still operating. I found them on the groupon website. They are a husband and wife team from co Dublin. I booked and paid them for my wedding next month and I can't contact them.

I have tried their number and I can't get through. I have checked their website, which is closed down.

Totally freaking out. Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sjtaylor wrote: »
    Does anyone know if through the Lens photography company is still operating. I found them on the groupon website. They are a husband and wife team from co Dublin. I booked and paid them for my wedding next month and I can't contact them.

I have tried their number and I can't get through. I have checked their website, which is closed down.

Totally freaking out. Please help

That's a horrifying prospect.

How is their website closed down ? Gone/Deleted?

How did you pay?

Do you know where they operate from? I'd be over there at 9am tomorrow morning to discuss & see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sjtaylor

They don't have a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Is his name Kenneth Culligan?

Maybe. I have the name of ken and Marie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If you bought it as a groupon voucher I'm sure you entitled to some sort of money back if this kinda thing happens.

• Advertisement

I have an online credit report for that name with "through the lens" as the business name so I have the home address but would need to know its the right person ;)
    Not a limited company so you might have some chance of getting your money back.

Thanks a million. Fingers crossed they're the right people. Ill phone them later an see what the situation is. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

If you paid through groupon, they still have your money and will refund you as the providor only gets paid after you give the service providor your voucher, after theyve provided the service and they then claim back from groupon.
    Ive claimed refund twice in the past from them for similar other experiences and while the money didnt rush back to my account I was refunded both times without argument and found groupon themselves quite nice to deal with.

I found them through groupon, but didn't get a voucher. I contacted them directly.

I found them through groupon, but didn't get a voucher. I contacted them directly.

Ouch. Id be doing what was advised above. Get an address, start banging down the door.

• Advertisement

website was registered in ken culligans name.

http://whois.domaintools.com/throughthelens.ie

website was registered in ken culligans name.

http://whois.domaintools.com/throughthelens.ie

I've pm'd them his home address and home phone number.
    All freely available online ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I booked and paid them for my wedding next month and I can't contact them.
    If you paid by credit card, contact your bank about doing a charge-back, citing total lack of contact as the cause. If they're like this before the big day, you may never get the photos back!

/edit; why did you pick them? Did someone recommend them?

Paid by cheque.

Went to their house. They emigrated to Africa last month (a neighbour told us) they left many couples high an dry, including another neighbour.

I'm contacting groupon to see if groupon will contact the other people who bought vouchers, so there won't be other couples in my mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Scumbag. Did you pay in full? That sucks.

Paid by cheque.
    Check (no pun intended) if it has been cashed. If it hasn't, cancel it.

Went to their house. They emigrated to Africa last month (a neighbour told us) they left many couples high an dry, including another neighbour.
    File a complaint to the Gardai, and tell anyone who you come across that got scammed does the same, so if they come back for christmas some year, the Gardai may have a surprise for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

That's an awful experience. I do hope Groupon sort you out, as they should. I've found those websites mainly advertising for startup and no quite so legit businesses...

Agree with above poster, most definitely contact the Guardai and tell the other couples to do the same. It's insane someone could do this to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

the_syco wrote: »
    Check (no pun intended) if it has been cashed. If it hasn't, cancel it.

I'd say it has been cashed alright, as deposits are usually paid well in advance.

However, it's evidence that you paid, which is better than cash.

Maybe file with the small claims court.

Really sorry this happened to you OP.

Gatica wrote: »
    That's an awful experience. I do hope Groupon sort you out, as they should. I've found those websites mainly advertising for startup and no quite so legit businesses...

Why would groupon sort them out?
    I cant see how its anything to do with them other then them having contact details which will probably be the same as OP has anyway.

• Advertisement

I do hope Groupon sort you out

The OP didnt buy through Groupon so nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

If we are talking about a similar fee to what the groupon deal was then the loss may be around €500 euro? At least half to a third of what an average reputable experienced Photographer would cost. At least I hope you didnt pay anymore than the deal price?
    A small consolation I know. I'm suprised that you paid in full rather than a deposit?

I paid a deposit by cheque.

It certainly has nothing to do with groupon, I have always found groupon the be excellent.

Devestated to be honest, as we are very cash strapped and have been extremely careful with money. Not even going in honeymoon and now this.

It's not the end of the world, but adds stress where it's unnecessary.

Fingers crossed this will be the last bump in the road.

Thanks everyone for your help. At least I now for sure what happened and hopefully I can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

might also be an idea to contact Ray D'arcy/Joe Duffy etc and see what help they could provide, at the very least it would be highlighting the issue.

So no photographer for your wedding? Do you have any friends/family with a good camera that might help you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Get on to one of the radio stations and warn others who've booked with them. I'd be stunned if one of the reputable guys didn't jump in and offer to do your wedding for free/cheap for the publicity of looking like a good guy on national radio. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

the_syco wrote: »
    File a complaint to the Gardai, and tell anyone who you come across that got scammed does the same, so if they come back for christmas some year, the Gardai may have a surprise for her?
    Agree with above poster, most definitely contact the Guardai and tell the other couples to do the same. It's insane someone could do this to others.

Not sure the Gardai would entertain you - surely this is a consumer complaint/ civil issue rather than a criminal issue that the gardai would be involved in? Unless they can prove an active intention to defraud people I can't see how the gardai could help. sounds more like they took deposits and then buggered off and proving they did this with aforethought and malice would be tough to prove.

Maybe file a small claims court claim - if they are still registered as living at that address, then at some point they may have to return and hopefully you might be able to get some recompense via small claims. Its a small fee to lodge with small claims, so its worth it.

Sorry to hear you were let down - I'm sure it won't spoil your day and it will be great regardless.

ETA - just checked, fee for lodging with the small claims court is €25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Little Ted wrote: »
    Not sure the Gardai would entertain you - surely this is a consumer complaint/ civil issue rather than a criminal issue that the gardai would be involved in? Unless they can prove an active intention to defraud people I can't see how the gardai could help. sounds more like they took deposits and then buggered off and proving they did this with aforethought and malice would be tough to prove.

Maybe file a small claims court claim - if they are still registered as living at that address, then at some point they may have to return and hopefully you might be able to get some recompense via small claims. Its a small fee to lodge with small claims, so its worth it.

Sorry to hear you were let down - I'm sure it won't spoil your day and it will be great regardless.

ETA - just checked, fee for lodging with the small claims court is €25

in theory you could have judgement orders against them in the courts - which would mean they could be facing attachment and commital orders -if they come back into the country.... they would basically be in breach of court orders to repay the money and could (in theory) be jailed for breaking a court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

thats just terrible,i do hope you get something sorted, it reflects on everyone involved in the industry.

Not a bad idea about radio stations, although lots of providers might not be in a position to help because of previous bookings etc.

theres chancers everywhere unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

link not working

Advertisement