Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club week 21: Bobotie

Options
  • 31-05-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭

Bo bo what?? :confused::confused: Bobotie(pronounced Boo boo tee, or Bo boor tee)

Bobotie is a South African dish, considered by many to be the national dish. It has it's roots in both African and Indian cooking, and each area in South Africa has it's own version, but Durban Bobotie is arguably the best, due to the large Indian and Asian population(the highest outside of the Indian Subcontinent) Bobotie is a spiced mince, baked with an egg custard on top. Sounds delightful, doesn't it? I promise it is very tasty though!

Apologies for the lack of pictures, I'm in my parents at the moment and my mother was hanging over my shoulder while I made this, and distracted me :mad:

Ingredients

1 kilo of minced Lamb or Beef
    1/2 an onion diced
    1 large Tbspn Curry powder(Rajah is the South African brand I prefer, but is hard to find in Ireland)
    2 Tbspn hot Chutney
    1 Tbspn Apricot jam
    1 Tspn Worcestershire Sauce
    Pinch of Tumeric
    2 cloves of Garlic, crushed, or a good pinch of Garlic powder
    1 handful of Raisins(optional)
    3 Eggs
    1 Slice of white bread(without crusts)
    350 Ml Milk
    Pinch of salt

Method
    Soak the bread in a little milk, until it softens and separates.
    Fry the onions in oil until translucent. Add the curry powder, chutney, apricot jam, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bread(keep the milk for the topping), and rasins, if using. Add the mince on top and fry until browned. Beat one of the eggs and combine with the meat mixture. Spoon into a casserole or pyrex dish, and smooth out the top.

Beat the remaining two eggs, and combine with the milk, pinch of salt and Tumeric. Pour over the meat mixture, and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for one hour, or until the egg custard is set and nicely browned. serve with rice or a salad.

5fb80d8a-8fa5-4333-8053-d8e94d536294.jpg

DSC_0107-1.jpg

You don't really need to add the raisins tbh, they do add a certain sweetness to the dish, but I find South Africans tend to err on the side of diabetes when it comes to adding sugar or fruit-the chutney and apricot jam is enough for me.
    Do try to find a decent Indian curry powder(or paste) Chinese curry lacks the smokiness and depth that you'll find in Indian curry.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I don't know how or why this looks delicious but it does. In my head this shouldn't work, but holy good it looks divine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

It shouldn't work! Who puts egg custard on curried meat? But its really, really tasty!! And you can make it as mild or spicy as you like-mine was fairly mild because my father isn't able for spicy food. Its also pretty good cold with salad.

I know this crazy chick who moved to SA but then she came home... so imma gone convince that chick to cook me some booo booo teeee

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Mad, I had this made for me last week. Delish. Delighted I have a recipe now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I love bobotie. A little grated lemon zest in the mince mixture is fab, and I use buttermilk instead of "normal" milk as it makes for a more savoury topping.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I cant wait to try this! I might even get the ingredients on the way home today.

Thanks Shinikins!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What curry powder did you subsitute for it in Ireland? Also, what hot chutney would be best?

Neyite wrote: »
    What curry powder did you subsitute for it in Ireland? Also, what hot chutney would be best?

I got a chilli chutney on my way home which did the job lovely, and just got a general curry powder. I was a bit unconvinced putting the ingredients together but it was very tasty. Himself liked it too. :)

Thanks Shinikins!

And I'm up this week. Eeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I happen to have all of the ingredients in hand so I shall give this boo boo tee a go for tomorrow's lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Woops, todays sunshine had me distracted Neyite!! I was reduced to using general curry powder as I was cooking in the parents kitchen, but I'd usually use Rajah hot curry powder. I've found a grocer in Portlaoise than sometimes carries it, so I'll be making a visit there soon!!

Honey Ec, I don't find buttermilk makes much difference with this, its such a simple recipe and is savoury anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

"What's for dinner?"
    "Bobotie, it's South African"
    "Bubu who now?"
    "Booboooooteeeee"
    "Looks like mince to me"
    ... a forkful later...
    "This is bubulicious!"

bf5d143885411269a2ba6003ae9a89e5_zps5b335f33.jpg
    *excuse the bad photo

This is really tasty; the chutney really made it. I didn't add raisins as himself is not a fan.
    The mince really reminds me of murtabak filling, eggy curry spiced mince.
    Thanks for the recipe, shinikins!

Edit: By the way, I had it with coleslaw. I'd like some crusty bread with it the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This looks very interesting! Now that the summer's over (sob) I might try this dish soon.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made it this week - delicious! It's likely to become a staple in our house. I doubled up on the curry powder, and will use even more next time (we like our food spicy). I used minced lamb, which is more expensive but much tastier than beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I made this today. No tumeric.

4PbhMC_thumb.jpg
    6D9rz5_thumb.jpg

It was rather delicious :)

So glad I finally got around to making this! an absolutely delicious recipe that, in my mind, shouldn't work but really does!

6BiMQp.jpg

6Cqdek.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I made this over the weekend and like everyone else, was surprised at how good it tasted. My boyfriend liked it too :) (despite thinking it looked like cat food).

AinesChickNight017_zps6b1df4c8.jpg
    AinesChickNight018_zps8385849e.jpg

Looks delish Malari :)

.... So delish I made another batch tonight :o just something I tried that was really nice... I put it in a cold, crisp iceberg lettuce leaf and its sooooo good!!! Nom nom nom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I had this tonight and it was amazing, thanks for the great original recipe OP

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Here is another pic I took of the finished product- I can't seem to upload more than on e pic with my iPad in the same post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Made this a little while back. Was damn nice!
    20130702_182350_zpscf0da4b5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I went to make this this evening and discovered the only ingredients I had were mince, curry powder and apricot jam. Everything else was gone off or gone missing. Returned mince to freezer till later this week and having a far inferior dinner instead. Thick woman, why you no read the recipe before going to cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I fear I have made a huge error with this dish....

Firstly, I put the turmeric in at the same time as the curry powder etc. And I added a lot more than a pinch by mistake.

Then I realised I only added 450g of beef, not a kilo. But all the other amounts are the same.

I added the prescribed pinch of turmeric to the milk as well. So I hope I haven't made it really bland and its too sweet because of the effectively double portions of jam and chutney.

Will report back with details! It's in the oven now, eek!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yep. It's like dinner dessert! FFFFFFFFFFF...... You get the message. :(

Next time.;)

Advertisement