Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riots in Portmarnock

Options
  • 30-05-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Anyone here anything about the apparent riots in Portmarnock today
    As thousands flock to beaches all around the country our very own Dublin specifically Portmarnock has decided to make it in to the news.

Gardaí are currently resolving an issue where a large group of youth are causing havoc in the area.

Irish rail had to stop its 16.14 Drogheda to Pearse station service after a group of youth were causing ruptions on the train.

It is believed the garda helicopter and a large number of squad cars have been dispatched to the area to bring the situation to a halt.

This can only be the result of excessive alcohol consumption mixed with a large crowed of youths.

Source

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hi guys,

Following discussion we've decided to re-open this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

"Causing ruptions"? Never heard that one before. Causing ructions, surely?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Was on the bus (42) yesterday about 4ish and there were groups of kids (14/17) drinking and trying to get on the buses to Malahide. Drivers were told over radio not to stop for them.

This is why we can't have nice things:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The videos on that link were horrible. If citizen journalism is supposed to be the future, we're all fecked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Videos may have been taken by idiots but it does show the violence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Grayson wrote: »
    The videos on that link were horrible. If citizen journalism is supposed to be the future, we're all fecked.

Link to the Indo/Times/Herald video of the incident please........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Where are these people getting their mobile phones from?

Footage is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

mikom wrote: »
    Link to the Indo/Times/Herald video of the incident please........

Vids are in the link in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Oh this is a yearly event which has been getting bigger each year. (last year it rained so no one went) The year or two before that about 1000 people showed up. It has a name which I just can't seem to remember maybe someone else will know it. Its always around this time every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Vids are in the link in the first post.

You misunderstand me.
    I was looking for a link to the Indo/Times/Herald video of the incident.
    The one by the "real" journalists.

The unpaid "citizen journalists" seem to be the only ones plugging that gap, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

mad turnip wrote: »
    Oh this is a yearly event which has been getting bigger each year. (last year it rained so no one went) The year or two before that about 1000 people showed up. It has a name which I just can't seem to remember maybe someone else will know it. Its always around this time every year.

Fúckin reck it ah Portmarnok day innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Where are these people getting their mobile phones from?

Footage is terrible.

Going on the ages of them, its presumably all mammy would fork out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Great weather lads! Lets go to the beach.....and have a fight.

The mentality is mind boggling - starting to think that mandatory year/two in the army would be a good thing over here, so many brain dead eejits....

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Great weather lads! Lets go to the beach.....and have a fight.

Teenage testosterone + sniff of drink = eejitery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Nodin wrote: »

Very true, but I can't help but despair for the human race seeing crap like this, it's like there's a segment of society which are slowly regressing back to caveman times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Actually, the African who instigated the riot was not drinking. He was on the Adrian Kennedy phone show last night.

He admitted to throwing the first punches and that he was stone cold sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I live close enough to a beach (about 10 mins) but would never go to it on a sunny day because the riff raff from the local area and the inner city that always descend on it. The trains do be packed with the dregs of society having their consequenceless days out by the beach in a decent area.

You also have to question the Garda presence in these public areas too. On a good day when the schools are off, you could have a couple of thousand people on a beach (a lot of them drinking and a lot of undesirables). Whereas if there was a football match on with a couple of thousand people there, there would be at least 20 or so Garda plus stewards. I know it is hard to plan for a sunny day but surely there should have been a larger presence for the day that was in it.

Very true, but I can't help but despair for the human race seeing crap like this, it's like there's a segment of society which are slowly regressing back to caveman times.

Theres nothing new going on there, or regressive. Its actually fairly par for the course. I remember the stephens green area was scene of a fair few rows in the early 80's, by an older crew. Likewise various dublin city festivals, "larks in the parks".....the incident here was fairly harmless in the greater scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Oxegen warm up.

Actually, the African who instigated the riot was not drinking. He was on the Adrian Kennedy phone show last night.

He admitted to throwing the first punches and that he was stone cold sober.

I'm not interested in you and your racist agenda, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Listen to the FM 104 podcast. The African lad admitted that he started it and that he was sober.

No agenda, just cold hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought that was the whole point of the thing

white v black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

But the problem with Ireland is it manifests itself as shown in the video a lot of the time.
    Theres nothing new going on there, or regressive. Its actually fairly par for the course. I remember the stephens green area was scene of a fair few rows in the early 80's, by an older crew. Likewise various dublin city festivals, "larks in the parks".....the incident here was fairly harmless in the greater scheme of things.

That may be, but it doesn't mean it's OK. If anything it shows we've regressed or remained static as a society in this respect.

I've been to things in the UK and it's the most civilized experience. Huge crowd, all with their own bottles etc, no trouble. None whatsoever. A lot of Europe is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thats actually an insult to cavemen who lived in civilised tribal groups.

Chimpanzees on crack would be more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

It's kind of putting me into the "lets keep Sellafield open" camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Aye, it's not his agenda. The whole 'buzz' was white v black kids as happens fairly normally in the rougher estates (this may be hidden from those outside these areas). I guess it's the contemporary version of mods v rockers only with more emotive stakes. Also, it's called res I think; the yearly piss up.

Listen to the FM 104 podcast. The African lad admitted that he started it and that he was sober.

No agenda, just cold hard facts.

...because somebody phoning into a talkshow and claiming something is a 'cold hard fact'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

scopper wrote: »
    Aye, it's not his agenda. The whole 'buzz' was white v black kids as happens fairly normally in the rougher estates (this may be hidden from those outside these areas). I guess it's the contemporary version of mods v rockers only with more emotive stakes. Also, it's called res I think; the yearly piss up.

i call bollix on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement