Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast iron pot

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just wondering if anyone knows what this pot was originally used for. It was found at an old farm cottage.

potyw.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is there a smell of sh*t off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What part of the country, guess would say it came from a factory

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SoldOut

Muckit wrote: »
    Is there a smell of sh*t off it?

No, it was used to catch rainwater from a down pipe for the last fifty years. Thats just sludge you can see in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Is that a pipe coming out of it or does it just happen to be lying on it?

I've seen plenty of them in my time, indeed we had a couple as drinkers. I think they used to be called boilers too. They're cast iron and most I've seen had a crack or lump out of them.

What part of the country, guess would say it came from a factory

Its in Louth. I'm fairly sure it was used for something on the farm, I just dont know what.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Is that a pipe coming out of it or does it just happen to be lying on it?

I've seen plenty of them in my time, indeed we had a couple as drinkers. I think they used to be called boilers too. They're cast iron and most I've seen had a crack or lump out of them.

Yeah thats a pipe coming out that has a bit of wood stuffed into it to block it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

SoldOut wrote: »
    Yeah thats a pipe coming out that has a bit of wood stuffed into it to block it up.

has it got 2 lugs out of the sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

We had one like that (maybe a bit bigger) before some people liberated it from us... b@stards... :mad:

Anyways - the story we were told, was that it came from a soup kitchen, from the time of the famine.
    Now, I imagine that they were used for boiling, but whether they all originated from soup kitchens, I'd have my doubts... :confused:

Edit : They were also pretty small for a soup kitchen, you'd imagine one for a job like that would be the size of a barrel...

hugo29 wrote: »
    has it got 2 lugs out of the sides

Yeah there's 2 lugs coming out of the side of the pot, you can just about see one on the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

We had one just like it, about 30 inches high, and 40 inches across. It was originally built into a big open fireplace in a shed beside an old stable. Used for boiling spuds for the pigs, my father told me. Was then used as a drinker in a cattle yard for decades until it got a crack of the loader.

On a similar theme, there is loads of Comfrey growing in the old garden field, and I was told it was planted originally to provide green feed for the same pigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

Cooking spuds during the famine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Red Shed, you didn't have to cook spuds during the famine, they were in mush already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Very common in old UK farms and often found in the old wash house sheds (can't think of a better description atm) in towns, dates from Victorian times and used in some places up until well after the 2nd World War.

Sometimes called a "copper" because the better ones were made of copper used for boiling water for washing clothes and also often used for boiling pig swill. You'd normally find it inside built into a corner of a building so you could set a fire under it with a chimney up behind it.

Connection here is really slow so I can't find a suitable google image but if you google for pics of something like old washing boiler or victorian laundry boiler you should find a picture and more info.

Edit> Our old one was setup just like this http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-10936335-tyneham-laundry-victorian-washing-boiler.php except it was in the corner of a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

eirator wrote: »
    Very common in old UK farms and often found in the old wash house sheds (can't think of a better description atm) in towns, dates from Victorian times and used in some places up until well after the 2nd World War.

Sometimes called a "copper" because the better ones were made of copper used for boiling water for washing clothes and also often used for boiling pig swill. You'd normally find it inside built into a corner of a building so you could set a fire under it with a chimney up behind it.

Connection here is really slow so I can't find a suitable google image but if you google for pics of something like old washing boiler or victorian laundry boiler you should find a picture and more info.

Edit> Our old one was setup just like this http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-10936335-tyneham-laundry-victorian-washing-boiler.php except it was in the corner of a shed.

I had one identical to that, in brick, in the back kitchen of a house we owned once in Gloucestershire.

Was used (1) originally for washing / boiling clothes (2) By one of my Tamworth sows as a water bowl - until we stopped her getting in to the kitchen - and (3) eventually by us as a wine cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OP looking at your picture is that a drain in the bottom or just a bit of scrap iron? I've not seen one with a drain it it if it is a drain. They also normally had a big heavy wooden lid and ours had a ladle that was kept with it that was really handy for empty out the last of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Was one in this farm. Gone now and don't know where. Previous owner told me it came from a mine he worked in as a young man.
    No idea for what purpose though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We had one here that used to be on a kind of a small trailer with steel wheels . It was hung from the lugs off a frame and could be tipped out easily enough .
    The grandfather told me they used it to draw water with a horse when they were spraying spuds (knapsack style ) but I dont know if this was its intended purpose origanaly

eirator wrote: »
    OP looking at your picture is that a drain in the bottom or just a bit of scrap iron? I've not seen one with a drain it it if it is a drain. They also normally had a big heavy wooden lid and ours had a ladle that was kept with it that was really handy for empty out the last of the water.

Yeah thats a drain thats part of the pot, it was blocked up at some stage with a piece of wood. Ill get a few more pictures tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Its a famine soup pot. Used to cook up a huge amount of soup for the free food kitchens in famine times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

There was someone making a map of Famine pots around the country; can't find the link right now, but they'd probably know in Carrick, in the museum.

Advertisement