Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT Advice.

Options
  • 26-05-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Howdy all, wanted to start this thread with a bit of a comprehensive guide and plan to the GAMSAT outlining what I did to do well in it. To any mods, I hope this thread is okay, I didn't really see anything quite like this to post in to :)

First things first, my background. I am a neuroscience student so have a grounding in the sciences and in particular biology. As for the other sections, I have always been an avid reader but that's it.

Now, my score. This was my first run at the exam. I scored a 66 in Section 1, a 72 in Section 2 and a 71 in Section 3. So even though I'm a science based student, my essay writing was actually my best section. Overall that gave me a score of 70.

Now on to the day of the exam. All I can say is this, absolute disaster. I had not been feeling great the week before, I recovered but I wound up getting about 4 hours sleep the night before the exam. The next morning I had two cups of coffee, 2 red bulls and a lucozade sport (as well as numerous apples) in the blind hope of waking myself up a bit! Going in to the exam I was tired enough that I didn't really care about the exam, that possibly aided me as I had 0 pre-exam nerves. The downside was my timings were a bit loose in Section 1 and 3.

Section 1: I didn't like this. Was a bit unexpected, some very odd questions and many that seemed to have 2 answers that were equally as valid. Really thought it was a good deal different to the sample papers in many ways however my memory is a little hazy as at this point I was still waking up. Had to go for a pee at one point thinking I had lots of time left only to find out I had 15 questions left with 10 minutes remaining.

Section 2: One of my essays I was absolutely thrilled with, it went really really well and I was very pleased. Second essay I thought I had fluffed, was not too pleased at all but it wasn't a complete disaster.

Lunch: Was tasty.

Section 3: This was obviously very long. Without the calculator I had expected easier maths questions but I was wrong, some of them were nigh on impossible to do in the given time without a calculator. Other questions (such as a few organic chemistry questions) required a level of knowledge far beyond that of a 1st year science student (I know, I did Org. Chem in 1st and 2nd year and I remember one group of questions that were certainly at least 3rd year standard). Once again, my timing was poor and I was left with 20 minutes to do about 25 questions. Overall, although there were quite a few odd ones I was probably content with this section, not pleased but not gutted by any means!

So as you can see I wasn't by any means skipping out of the exam hall, I was convinced I would have to do the exam again and to be very honest the thought of it at that time made me feel very sick and very fed up (I'm sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this!) I had pretty much 0 expectations. The real take home message from this is that you probably will do better than you think and you certainly can still manage to do very well even if the night before the exam does not go to plan!

My preparation: Okay so this is probably the area that most folks will be interested in so I will try my best to make things as clear as possible :) First things first, my college calender. Before Christmas it was very easy and arguably I should have done more work during this time but unfortunately since my course is organised really terribly none of us knew that the second semester would be as horrendous as it was. So after Christmas college was a terrible pain in the bum.

Now here's a break down of my study for the GAMSAT.
    1) Around 20 hours a week of study. Now added on top of my college work load for the second semester this was a hell of a lot and a real burden. I split it to be somewhat half and half, 50% Section 1 & 2 and 50% Section 3. What I have to say is that practice-wise I did a lot for Section 1&2 but not nearly as much for Section 3, I just didn't have the time to sit a full 3 hours of a paper very frequently. So I would try and do a Section 3 on a Sunday but apart from that I studied 1st year science material (will be explained in more detail). For Section 1 I did probably 3-4 tests a week (see below), Section 2 was about 2 hours of essay writing a week (4 essays a week).

2) Materials that I used were pretty standard. For Section 1 there was the GAMSAT materials from ACER and Examkrackers 101 passages in Verbal reasoning. This book is not completely GAMSAT-like, it is more geared to MCAT prep but really it is very very good. Each test is about and hour and a half long and you could do 3 or 4 of them a week, it's great practice. As well as this I was reading a few good classic books which helped a bit with vocabulary and understanding stuff. For Section 2 I simply decided on different topics to write about such as politics, family, medicine etc. and would write an essay on them. I also used the ACER quotes for Section 2 to write an essay from like in the exam. What I feel is important here is a lot of practice to allow you to form ideas quickly and articulate them well. Finally for Section 3 I used Chemistry, Biology and Organic Chemistry for Dummies (including the workbooks) as well as Rapid Revision for LC Physics. I of course had more in depth textbooks but to be very honest I never used them, I think I only used one biology one once for a bit of genetics stuff. While this might seem somewhat basic I think what is crucial is not learning off a lot of info about cells, systems, formulae etc. but in general being able to understand concepts and follow instructions very clearly. If you can understand and follow the instructions the GAMSAT gives you then it really should be no problem for you! If you try and bring some previous knowledge to the situation you're going to get confused and waste time. One other thing I used was Griffith's GAMSAT review, handy for a general syllabus for Section 3 although I thought it's essay advice and Section 1 stuff was pretty useless (explained below)

3) Some advice: Right, I don't really know where to start. First of all I think that all of these prep courses are, to be frank, either not up to par or are simply trying to rip people off. One course, for a complete package of study material, wanted a couple of thousand euro (in fact might have been even higher, I believe more than 3000!). I think all of this is pointless. If you have no science background I can understand that it is daunting and scary. The best thing I can suggest in this situation is to maybe try and organise a few grinds, perhaps as a group, with a tutor who can teach you at this level. It would cost a lot less and be more beneficial I think. A lot of the material that they suggest to learn or memorise is completely redundant and useless, honestly I saw a lot of people trying to recall facts and wasting time trying to remember formulae to use instead of just getting on with the question. Furthermore, I believe some of them actively include as much scary material as possible in their syllabus lists to really make you panic and buy in to their little extortion racket. As for section 1, nobody can teach you it it only requires practising. That's it. No course will do anything to help this. As for Section 2, my approach was entirely different. Much of the advice out there is that 2-2.5 pages should be the aim, a brainstorm should be done, a line left between paragraphs etc. I disagree completely. I did none of this, wrote 3 and a half pages for each essay. The reasoning is fairly straightforward, they want you to make a coherent argument. 2 pages is very little space realistically to say everything you want. I wrote more and as such was able to address 3 or so quotations in sufficient detail. My structure was an introduction, 3 paragraphs with each one dedicated to a different quotation and a solid conclusion. A snappy title helps too. Once again, only practice will make you better at this, any super secret “tricks” from different prep courses aren't going to be of any real aid in my opinion. The real key to doing well in the GAMSAT is the ability to understand material and to articulate a response in a strict time setting. That is all you need. Believe me, I was in no condition to recall lots of formulae (if I had bothered learning them!) and it didn't matter in the slightest.

So really the GAMSAT comes down to 3 key parts: Understanding, articulating and timing. They will ask questions that are too difficult to answer in the time given, what they really want is for you to recognise this and move to other questions. Any question you are 100% unsure of pick one letter and use it as the answer for any of the ones you have no clue (for example I used the letter C as my guess letter). Seriously, it is crucial you time things correctly, I knew one girl who only managed to answer 40 questions in section 3 (even if she got every single one correct she still would have gotten a bad score.) You have your time limit for each question, once done move on. If you find yourself flying through a few questions then that is great, as long as you're sure of your answer and have checked do not second guess them just move on and use the extra time wisely.

So for everyone planning on taking the GAMSAT again or for the first time hopefully this little guide will be of some help :) Of course I think it is very important to be in a healthy condition, plenty of exercise etc. is really crucial I believe. The GAMSAT is much more about understanding concepts and working under time constraints than throwing up information. The entire exam, including the early enough start time, are designed to create a pressurised environment in which you may not be at your very best and may be quite tired but can still focus on the task at hand. Remember to think of it like this, it is not a test on paper of what you know or have learned but very much so a test of how you can deal with a range of different problems in an uncomfortable situation. Best of luck to everyone who is going for the GAMSAT again, remember that it really is not the end of the world no matter what happens and that a positive and happy mindset is more beneficial than anything else. Oh and as a final reminder STICK TO THE TIMINGS :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Thanks again for this. Just a couple of questions. It definitely seems that the exam is as much about stamina as anything else. Any advice on improving this leading up to the exam? I find my concentration dips after about an hour and that'll be a real issue for section III, particularly at that stage of the day. Also, any recollection as how you did on the Examkrackers 101 passages tests? Would be interested in seeing how results in these might compare to the Section I score (although, obviously the question style is more varied). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

letsdothis wrote: »
    Thanks again for this. Just a couple of questions. It definitely seems that the exam is as much about stamina as anything else. Any advice on improving this leading up to the exam? I find my concentration dips after about an hour and that'll be a real issue for section III, particularly at that stage of the day. Also, any recollection as how you did on the Examkrackers 101 passages tests? Would be interested in seeing how results in these might compare to the Section I score (although, obviously the question style is more varied). Thanks!

No problem at all! Okay so lets see:

The Examkrackers results could obviously vary somewhat but out of 60 questions on average I'd be around high forties to low fifties. I could say that I never ever cheated but that would be a lie, a few times I wanted to check an answer so I'd flick to the answer key, possibly even changing my answer if it was wrong :P

Stamina is of course important. There are 3 real things I could suggest to improve. First of all, practice the Section 3 plenty, don't take any breaks during it. In my case I didn't have the time to do this often but I was usually putting in 5 or 6 hours of nonstop college work in the afternoon (reports etc.) so that built my stamina. Second, practice the other sections lots. This means during the exam if you've got your exam technique nailed down you'll find it less stressful and therefore won't be nearly as worn down by Section 3. Finally during your lunch break and before the exam DO NOT cram any notes or sit reading information. It does nothing for you and you're wasting time you could be relaxing. Especially lunch, I saw a lot of people as soon as they were out sit down with notes and begin reading for the hour, absolute waste of time. I went down to Grafton Street, sat having my sandwiches, a cup of tea and listening to a little bit of music/reading a magazine. I guarantee you that I did better in Section 3 than 99% of those sat cramming during lunch because I was relaxed.

Anything else I can do to help feel free to ask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

I agree with the idea of not cramming, it's completely pointless. Take a proper break during lunch, get away from the others.

Re: stamina. When I sat UK GAMSAT last year I was quite ill and weak and very worried I wouldn't last. As you are only allowed to bring in water, I dissolved some sugar in my water bottle and I stashed a caffeine tablet under the top which I took this during the afternoon. I actually lasted much better than I had feared, but it's true it's a long exam.

My top tip is to go in relaxed, and by this I mean sit the GAMSAT twice, or at least plan to. I did UK only as a dry run, luckily it went well (got a 67), and I didn't need to sit it again, but because it was a practice I was much more relaxed.

In short: register for UK GAMSAT in September, it would be madness not to. It will focus you, give you a mid-term target to aim at, give you a realistic feedback of where you are, and give you practice at GAMSAT for next March (if needed).

Practice writing essays in the time allowed - this is vital. You must keep moving.

I'm on record here as saying I'm sceptical of all the expensive study materials and courses, for what it's worth.

pc11 wrote: »
    I agree with the idea of not cramming, it's completely pointless. Take a proper break during lunch, get away from the others.

Re: stamina. When I sat UK GAMSAT last year I was quite ill and weak and very worried I wouldn't last. As you are only allowed to bring in water, I dissolved some sugar in my water bottle and I stashed a caffeine tablet under the top which I took this during the afternoon. I actually lasted much better than I had feared, but it's true it's a long exam.

My top tip is to go in relaxed, and by this I mean sit the GAMSAT twice, or at least plan to. I did UK only as a dry run, luckily it went well (got a 67), and I didn't need to sit it again, but because it was a practice I was much more relaxed.

In short: register for UK GAMSAT in September, it would be madness not to. It will focus you, give you a mid-term target to aim at, give you a realistic feedback of where you are, and give you practice at GAMSAT for next March (if needed).

Practice writing essays in the time allowed - this is vital. You must keep moving.

I'm on record here as saying I'm sceptical of all the expensive study materials and courses, for what it's worth.

Agreed with all of the above although I didn't bother with the sugar water or caffeine tablet seeing as I had dumped energy drinks into myself to wake up a bit. Overall sounds like your experience was really very similar to mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

I would agree with PC11 - expensive study courses and materials aren't worth it. Organic Chemistry for Dummies and Examkrackers Audio Osmosis are probably the two best investments. The best advice is honestly to do as many real-life GAMSAT questions and mock exams as possible under exam conditions. Get your hands on as many booklets as you can and do them over and over again (without checking walk-through guides; you need to figure out what you are getting wrong and self-correct). Check out www.doc2be.com blog - she has uploaded some really great tips.

As for stamina - I dropped carb/electrolyte/caffeine tablets into my water. You can pick these up in most good sports stores.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the good advice! I am planning to do the UK GAMSAT in September, registration for which opens next week. I am hoping that that'll do the trick for me. Of course, I might come out with a score like 25! This whole thing is such an unknown quantity but reading good advice from those of you that have come through this successfully at least makes you feel that you are on the right track.

I'm not in a position yet to attempt full Section III practices as I'm still making my way through Organic Chemistry for the first time, having covered all the other science sections first. I'm eager to try a full paper but for now Section I-style papers along with (occasional) timed essays is as much as I can do.

diverboy83 - Did you use much more than OC for Dummies and Audio Osmosis? So far, I've just been using those along with Organic Chemistry As A Second Language and occasionally looking at Khan Academy when I'm in need of some visual stimulation!
    Somalion wrote: »
    No problem at all! Okay so lets see:

The Examkrackers results could obviously vary somewhat but out of 60 questions on average I'd be around high forties to low fifties. I could say that I never ever cheated but that would be a lie, a few times I wanted to check an answer so I'd flick to the answer key, possibly even changing my answer if it was wrong :P

Ha! Perhaps I need to factor in some occasional peeping for an accurate comparison, then! I've been averaging 40-50 but I know there's still room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

I got my hands on a Leaving Cert physics book (which is about as much as you'll need on that front) and another one for chemistry. Very useful for bedding the basics down and it will make it easier to get to grips with the key concepts. However, the GAMSAT is not about knowledge - practice questions at every opportunity. Organic for Dummies has a workbook - make sure you get this and work through it all. Examkrackers also have workbooks for MCAT. These are good to practice as they drill the basics into you, but are not to be relied upon for GAMSAT. The style is too different. Also, don't neglect non-organic chemistry too; know your stoichiometry inside out as it forms the basis for so many questions.

That's my two cents anyway!

diverboy83 wrote: »
    I would agree with PC11 - expensive study courses and materials aren't worth it. Organic Chemistry for Dummies and Examkrackers Audio Osmosis are probably the two best investments. The best advice is honestly to do as many real-life GAMSAT questions and mock exams as possible under exam conditions. Get your hands on as many booklets as you can and do them over and over again (without checking walk-through guides; you need to figure out what you are getting wrong and self-correct). Check out www.doc2be.com blog - she has uploaded some really great tips.

Very much agreed with all of this, especially the bit I've bolded.

Also, don't worry about the percentage of questions you get right, GAMSAT scores are not percentages and there's no way to calculate a GAMSAT score from a practice test, so don't even try.

Very much agreed with all of this, especially the bit I've bolded.

Also, don't worry about the percentage of questions you get right, GAMSAT scores are not percentages and there's no way to calculate a GAMSAT score from a practice test, so don't even try.

Agreed, no point trying to predict. I believe a method was to take your score as a percent for each section then take 5 off it (except section 3 which you take 10 from) to give a bit of an idea. I instead took 10 off each section and 15 from 3 purely to try and eliminate inflating my scores. But that just worked for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mariefahy

Hi

I have lots of Gamsat materials for sale:

Des ONeill science revision notes
    Acer practice test and questions
    MCAT 1001 questions
    Grad med revision notes
    Organic chemistry and physics for dummies
    Leaving cert Biology& physics

Everything for sale for 300 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

Hello,

I did the GAMSAT in 2011 and I have to admit, since I was also doing my Bachelor thesis at the same time, I was not up for a lot of additional studying.

Without practice I got 52, so I guess it should be quiet easy with a bit of practice to get the required 60, especially since I was poor at the essays... and I guess they are a big point catcher.

Hope everyone trying it this year will find this motivating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Natasha001

Hi guys! So i'm preparing for GAMSAT UK against this september and i'm a bit nervous! I scored 34/75 in the section I practice questions #definitely need more practice! Anyone preparing for the GAMSAT in Sept?

Natasha001 wrote: »
    Hi guys! So i'm preparing for GAMSAT UK against this september and i'm a bit nervous! I scored 34/75 in the section I practice questions #definitely need more practice! Anyone preparing for the GAMSAT in Sept?

Remember you can't calculate a GAMSAT score from a % of questions, it doesn't work that way.

My top tips:
    1. identify your strengths and weaknesses
    2. concentrate on your weakness

Are you strong in SIII? You are worried about SI? Are you reading a lot? Read at least 1 newspaper every day and read books. Get many reading comprehension tests and do them over and over. Don't neglect poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Natasha001

Remember you can't calculate a GAMSAT score from a % of questions, it doesn't work that way.

My top tips:
    1. identify your strengths and weaknesses
    2. concentrate on your weakness

Are you strong in SIII? You are worried about SI? Are you reading a lot? Read at least 1 newspaper every day and read books. Get many reading comprehension tests and do them over and over. Don't neglect poetry.
    Thanks alot!:D. Frankly i'm worried about every single section. I really need to practice more and read newspapers. And most importantly work on timing, i never seem to finish any practice test on time:(, ok except for the SII:o

Thanks alot!:D. Frankly i'm worried about every single section. I really need to practice more and read newspapers. And most importantly work on timing, i never seem to finish any practice test on time:(, ok except for the SII:o

One tip for SII in particular: they are very much looking for clarity of expression, with good English, spelling and grammar. So, make sure you brush up on the basics and the common mistakes, one of which is "thanks alot". Despite how often you'll see this, it's not correct, there's no such word. It should be "a lot".

Don't get tripped up by stuff like this. Not only will basic English errors hurt you directly, they will irk the examiner who may miss or undervalue your overall points in the essays. I'm a big fan of getting the basics right, there are a ton of guides on the web. It's really not difficult to score well in these sections, don't pass up easy marks.

Good luck!

I wouldn't concern myself with newspapers personally. I think reading a few really good novels, stuff by Mark Twain, Dickens etc. is really more beneficial. As for the sections, follow what I've said in my main post :) And yes, focus on getting timings right. Honestly I didn't even have my timing "perfect", I had to guess 5-10 questions in a rush for S I and S III so timing can get away from you. Importantly it's to focus on getting the majority of the questions answered on time. Keep plugging away at it and you'll be okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gamsat

Hi,

Need help urgently!

I am to sit the GAMTSAT this month. I'm not really from a science background. Studied Biology and Chemistry in school but that was a while back. I sat the HPAT today and dont think I did so well. Haven't been in an exam environment in ages so felt at a disadvantage compared to some of the younger candidates. I am applying through the Mature Entry path and also as a Graduate student. I work full time and dont have a lot of time to study but I know medicine is something I want to pursue. Being older it would be great to get accepted into the 4 year programm. I know I should have started studying earlier, best plans and all that .... not easy when you are working ....

I know I have little time until the exam but can someone advise how best I can prepare to maxmise my chances of doing well. I don't have much time and cant study everything. I have the GAMSAT sample test papers. Don't know what texts to use etc.

Your help will be much appreciated ..... please reply urgently ......

Many Thanks

Zahra

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tommydantheman

@Somalion Ive spent the entire day going through the forums here, having started my research for the exam today. You've been the most helpful, at leasst for my case. Graduated with Environmental Science from a college in the US over three years ago. Have not done Chemistry, Physics or Biology in almost 7 years(since 1st year) and Organic Chem was never required for the degree. I feel far too rusty to even bother spending the money to go to the UK in September. Truthfully, Im trying to get a grasp as to what level I should start studying from. Im feeling like starting from the beginning and have the opportunity to do about 5-6 hours of study 5+ days a week from now until March. Somalion, Im most tempted by your book list of Chem, Bio and OC for Dummies. Ploughing through them and then starting as many GAMSAT practice exams as possible. For me, Im most concerned about my study materials, I dont feel I need to be spending thousands on classes and Gold Standard books etc., - Im just trying to get a comprehensive but workable book list together and not over-stress the exam. If I do badly, Ill have already applied to the Med Universities in Europe, but Ireland is first choice in order to be near home. Also, Im only applying to Veterinary, not Medicine. If anyone thinks they could help me with the appropriate book list it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

You have time for the UK. And it will be a good practice run if you need to sit again next March.
    Its been 7 years since I've studied Chemistry and Biology, have no Physics background at all. Only starting now to get into the study for September due to some personal issues. I figure I have 10 weeks left and even though I'm working full-time I will give it a shot and have next March as a back-up.
    I've got the Organic Chemistry for Dummies book and the ACER papers right now. Also have some basic physics notes and plan to do as many sample questions as possible.

@loopylulu you're right really, but there are a few other issues between actual money available and I have to leave for US for a job between now and then that might run right through September, and if I eventually (and looking at how expensive Ireland is for post-grads) ill be leaning towards Bulgaria for Veterinary in the end. Mostly want to do the GAMSAT as a hefty revision of my chem, bio and phys and then...teach myself Org. Chem??? still would like a decent book list though

• Advertisement

@loopylulu you're right really, but there are a few other issues between actual money available and I have to leave for US for a job between now and then that might run right through September, and if I eventually (and looking at how expensive Ireland is for post-grads) ill be leaning towards Bulgaria for Veterinary in the end. Mostly want to do the GAMSAT as a hefty revision of my chem, bio and phys and then...teach myself Org. Chem??? still would like a decent book list though

I used learned from scratch too (like many others) and used a combination of the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language book along with the Dummies Org Chem I book and the associated workbook. There's more than enough information between these books for GAMSAT and they are incredibly straightforward and easy to follow. Highly recommended.

@letsdothis "I used learned from scratch too" were you mentioning a book there?? what ye think of the dummies books for chem and bio?
    thanks for the info

@letsdothis "I used learned from scratch too" were you mentioning a book there?? what ye think of the dummies books for chem and bio?
    thanks for the info
    No, that's more my apparent poor typing and proof reading skills...

I didn't use any other dummies books. I put together a list of GAMSAT topics for each area and then set about getting an understanding of each of them. I mainly used Exam Krackers for MCAT for both Chem and Phys, although I also used a leaving cert Chemistry book first (I was starting from scratch). Just look at different books for different topics until you find something that suits you. Don't forget Khan Academy also. I didn't find anything particularly useful for biology. Maybe a physiology book would be helpful.

@letsdothis
    great advice and much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sethu

Hello I try to write exams Gamsat 2015, anyone have a books and CD, I am in limerick and guide me after passing Gamsat any interviews for medical and how to apply medical school? anyone helps me to guide

Advertisement