Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Dublin to Dungarvan for the SKT

Options
  • 20-05-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I know this is a few months away, but I would like to plan it as early as possible. Myself and a mate have signed up for the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford on Sun 25th August. We are planning on cycling down on Saturday and back on Monday.

Has anyone here ever cycled down from Dublin and if so, could you recommend a route down and back? A different route back would be nice.

The criteria for a route is (A) Short as possible (B) Good quality roads (C) As few hills as possible. Recommendations for a lunch stop (or two) would also be appreciated.

I created this one on MMR http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/209315933

It's 174km with 937m of climbing (most of it in the last 60km), but I haven't a clue what the road quality is like. I know the road out as far as Hollywood but that's about it.

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.
    Thanks, Jimmy

BTW, If anyone else is mad enough to join us, feel free. The more the merrier!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I recently cycled from Dublin to Dungarvan. Here is the route I took...
    http://app.strava.com/activities/43618056

It was effectively the straightest I could make it. Mostly main roads out till Carlow then R roads. It was lumpy coming in and out of Carrick-On-Suir.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Raam wrote: »
    I recently cycled from Dublin to Dungarvan. Here is the route I took...
    http://app.strava.com/activities/43618056

It was effectively the straightest I could make it. Mostly main roads out till Carlow then R roads. It was lumpy coming in and out of Carrick-On-Suir.

I don't suppose there's any way to avoid those climbs in the last 50-60km?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jimm wrote: »
    I know this is a few months away, but I would like to plan it as early as possible. Myself and a mate have signed up for the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford on Sun 25th August. We are planning on cycling down on Saturday and back on Monday.

Has anyone here ever cycled down from Dublin and if so, could you recommend a route down and back? A different route back would be nice.

The criteria for a route is (A) Short as possible (B) Good quality roads (C) As few hills as possible. Recommendations for a lunch stop (or two) would also be appreciated.

I created this one on MMR http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/209315933

It's 174km with 937m of climbing (most of it in the last 60km), but I haven't a clue what the road quality is like. I know the road out as far as Hollywood but that's about it.

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.
    Thanks, Jimmy

BTW, If anyone else is mad enough to join us, feel free. The more the merrier!

Fair play! thats a lot of cycling in 3 days....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Try going the old road, i.e. from Dungarvan go Carrick, Callan, KK, Castlecomer, Athy.
    Cycled it once from Co Waterford to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I don't suppose there's any way to avoid those climbs in the last 50-60km?

Those lumps aren't too bad - though admittedly they come at the end of a long day - there are not-too-dissimilar ones on any alternative routes. You could come straight south from Thomastown on the old N9 (but there is a longish drag out of Ballyhale for a few k's) and then pick up the N25 main (Rosslare) Waterford to Dungarvan (Cork) road for the final 50k. The surface is good on this and there's nothing too taxing by way of climbs, but as a wide main road there are oftern headwinds or sidewinds to contend with. In any case, RAAMs route hits the N25 half way from Waterford to Dungarvan

I'd say is a case of '6 of one, half-dozen of another' kinda thing, with RAAMs route being the more visually interesting.

Savage miles if you do this with the Kelly 160 sandwiched in between. Chapeau.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I rode down to Tramore over the xmas going down the coast through Bray, Arklow then Gorey New Ross, Waterford, Tramore. I think it was about 170/180..so a bit extra onwards to Dungarvan from Waterford city. Not very hilly but you might get a strong southerly. At least you should have it with you on the way back.

Coming home I took the old Dublin road from Waterford through Thomastown, Athy and Naas. My only suggestion there would be to avoid the Naas road back in and cut across to Sallins ( the other way brings you over the mountains ). Its awful to cycle on up as far as the red cow.

http://app.strava.com/activities/34779607

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Fair Play, and here I am worried about the 160K SKT on its own. Marty's Pantry in Carrick On Suir (Greystone st) I have stopped there a few times, great feed of home cooked food. Good Luck with it

Thanks for all the replies. I'll certainly look at those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This Texaco sells the nicest bottle of coke that I have ever tasted. It might have been downhill all the way into Dungarvan but I was cooked after coming out over the R676 from Carrick on Suir. I was only on the N25 for the last run into Dungarvan.

Village of Lemybrien, rolling but more downhill from there to Dungarvan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

the triangle that is carrick-clonmel-dungarvan all surround the comeragh mountains.

http://www.strava.com/activities/43618056

from carrick to clonmel then south to dungarvan might be an option, but will add the 20 K carrick to clonmel .

all routes are skirting the side of the comeraghs.

6 one / half dozen other realy.

stick to the carrick -lemybrien. at least on the actual SKT, u will travel in the opp direction along the same road ( dungarvan to carrick).

loads of cycling clubs all along the route. publicise and u will get help along the way

Thanks for all the replies. I'll certainly look at those options.

Are you guys taking luggage on the bikes or having it sent down ?

ror_74 wrote: »
    Are you guys taking luggage on the bikes or having it sent down ?

The plan is to take light rucksacks with us.

Closer to the day, I was going to be a bit cheeky and ask if anyone driving down to the SKT would take them down and back....for a pint or two. :o

This may all change depending on the weather conditions that w'end. May end up driving down if it's bad.

The plan is to take light rucksacks with us.

Closer to the day, I was going to be a bit cheeky and ask if anyone driving down to the SKT would take them down and back....for a pint or two. :o

This may all change depending on the weather conditions that w'end. May end up driving down if it's bad.

Ha...good plan :) I'd be up for joining yis. Never done the SKT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

michael196 wrote: »
    from carrick to clonmel then south to dungarvan might be an option, but will add the 20 K carrick to clonmel .

Just to add to that, I rode the R680 last weekend on the Comeragh Tour and it's approx 20km of hell. Not in terms of climbing - it's fairly flat - but the road surface is like the surface of the moon in places. The road buzz got so bad at one point I almost wasn't able to operate the front shifters (Sora thumb type). Waterford CoCo also have the gall to call it a cycle way - I'd nearly be getting out the full suspension mountain bike before I'd venture near it again :-)

As Michael says, I'd stick to the Carrick-Lemybrien road (R676). It's a bit of a drag up from Carrick, but it's a good road all the way. After Lemybrien, there's a drag up for about 1km, then you can coast down to Dungarvan and enjoy the view.

Oh and fair play for lining up that milage over 3 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just a quick question if anyone knows the best in terms of road quality and safety route to take from Waterford to Dungarvan and vice versa. I am going to be doing the SKT aswell but will get the train to waterford city from Dublin and then cycle to Dungarvan on the Saturday and return to Waterford city on the Monday.

The main road N25 is fine, as safe as any main road, and well surfaced. Many riders would.use it every weekend. Any alternative is considerably slower & more poorly surfaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭billyhead

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    The main road N25 is fine, as safe as any main road, and well surfaced. Many riders would.use it every weekend. Any alternative is considerably slower & more poorly surfaced.

Thanks for the info. Good to know

Getting the train is probably more sensible than riding down anyway:)

Is it legal to cycle on the new toll bridge over the River Suir?

IIRC, you said a while ago on another thread that someone was arrested for trying it. :confused:

We might look at that option to cut out some of the climbs around Carrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

IIRC, you said a while ago on another thread that someone was arrested for trying it. :confused:

I've cycled over it..

Just went to the toll booth lane dropped the shoulder, under the barrier and away.

Just need to becareful with the junctions.

Its not really necessary. The old main road goes thru the city, allows you take much the same route and avoids the need for you to be on motorways. Someone was nabbed for cycling across the bridge, or so I was told.......:confused:

Its not really necessary. The old main road goes thru the city, allows you take much the same route and avoids the need for you to be on motorways. Someone was nabbed for cycling across the bridge, or so I was told.......:confused:

Just had a look on Street View. There's a major junction on the N25 near WTI west campus. Looking in the direction of the toll bridge the sign reads:

NO
    Pedestrians
    Pedal Cyclists
    Animals

Dual carriagways are horrible on a bike anyhow, cross suir in City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Just had a look on Street View. There's a major junction on the N25 near WTI west campus. Looking in the direction of the toll bridge the sign reads:

NO
    Pedestrians
    Pedal Cyclists
    Animals

From that WIT junction you can go towards Cork on a bike - over the bridge is a no-no. Even to get onto the bridge from the Dublin side would involve a fair detour given that you'd most likely be coming down the old main Dublin road from Mullinavat (I think it's still the N9). As somebody else suggested, if coming that way (actually a good option these days as there's usually not that much traffic), go through town.

Advertisement