Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all Government Departments "Freepost"?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Seem to think they are/were.

Say if I want to send a letter to Dept of Social Protection for example, do I need to put a stamp on it?

Something tells me that I don't need to (I think one should put a stamp on it but nearly sure they used to all be freepost?)

Not sure it's a consumer issue but didn't know where to start such a thread.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

On the Contact Us of the Welfare.ie site there are no free post addresses listed, if it's not listed as free post then you need to put a stamp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

No, they aren't all Freepost. Unless you have seen the word 'Freepost' somewhere on their address (on a form or a website) you would need a stamp to ensure your letter arrives.

If all Government Departments were Freepost, it would leave them open to abuse of the system, (thousands of people writing Freepost letters of complaint in a co-ordinated campaign just to run up a huge postage bill, for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aw baldy blobs anyway.

Went to Post Office today to buy a book of 55c stamps and was told they went up to 60c in April (I sent a damn letter to a gov dept yesterday with a 55c stamp on it) Wonder will they deliver it for me or.....?

I thought that if it was a freepost then the 55c would cover me, now.............

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aw baldy blobs anyway.

Went to Post Office today to buy a book of 55c stamps and was told they went up to 60c in April (I sent a damn letter to a gov dept yesterday with a 55c stamp on it) Wonder will they deliver it for me or.....?

I thought that if it was a freepost then the 55c would cover me, now.............

Hopefully it will get through. For what it's worth, I haven't heard of any letters with 55c stamps being returned to sender yet.

There was very little information on the price increase. An Post should have given it more publicity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't know if it is the case, but An Post should honour all post using out of date stamps (by out of date, I mean on the old pricing). If someone has 55c stamps lying around then that person bought them in good faith, and they shouldn't have to use 2 and effectively pay almost double to have a single letter posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I don't know if it is the case, but An Post should honour all post using out of date stamps (by out of date, I mean on the old pricing). If someone has 55c stamps lying around then that person bought them in good faith, and they shouldn't have to use 2 and effectively pay almost double to have a single letter posted.

While I do agree with you, the option of buying 5c stamps exists so the consumer doesn't have to use 2 55c stamps and over pay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can also buy N rate stamps which don't get affected by price increases. Good luck finding them though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Skid X wrote: »
    If all Government Departments were Freepost, it would leave them open to abuse of the system, (thousands of people writing Freepost letters of complaint in a co-ordinated campaign just to run up a huge postage bill, for example)

Abuse that will then cost the people complaining (tax payer will end up paying for the huge bill),
    Not the best form of protest :P

Anyway, back on topic, nope I've never heard of social welfare being freepost

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

I have always sent letters to SW freepost :

Go to welfare.ie and you will see many freepost addresses

here are a few for the lazy :

Household Benefits Section
    Social Welfare Services
    FREEPOST
    College Road
    Sligo
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/2903_How-do-I-apply.aspx

Free Travel Section
    FREEPOST
    Social Welfare Services
    College Road
    Sligo.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/How-do-I-get-a-Free-Travel-Pass.aspx

Maternity Benefit Section
    FREEPOST
    Department of Social Protection
    McCarter's Road
    Ardarvan
    Buncrana
    Co. Donegal
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/mb10.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Does anyone know if tax offices and Local Health Offices are '' freepost ''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I chanced my arm sending a form to our Local Authority by Free post and it came back marked insufficient postage. All SW departments are Free post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I chanced my arm sending a form to our Local Authority by Free post and it came back marked insufficient postage. All SW departments are Free post

Would SW and Local Health Office be same , ( i wonder )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Would SW and Local Health Office be same , ( i wonder )

I might chance my arm with that to see how it yes. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I dropped my child benefit in the post box literally 5 minutes ago and forgot to add a stamp.

Will it be delivered?

It is important as it includes letter from employer, letter from school confirming child's attendance etc. I had a stamp and was meaning to add it but was in a rush this morning. Geez

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html
    If your child is not born in Ireland or their birth is not registered within the required time (3 months) you must fill in Child Benefit (form CB1) (pdf). You must send this form (CB1) with a copy of your baby's birth certificate (if your baby was not born in Ireland) by FREEPOST to the Child Benefit Section - see 'Where to apply' below. Birth certificates are not required for children born in the State.

It should be ok.
    Closing this old thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement