Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs market for Windows/IT Adminstration

Options
  • 11-05-2013 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

What is the jobs market like for Windows/IT/Networking administration?

I am doing a computer science conversion masters which involves a fair bit of programming (C++ and C so far), but also a fair bit of Windows administration including networking, and a bit of Linux as well. I enjoyed the latter.

The problem is, I don`t enjoy the programming; finding it very difficult so I think working with Windows would be more my cup of tea; and perhaps Linux/networking or even a general management/sales role in an IT company.

In our final semester we must choose our modules; I think I am going to choose security, networking and general management modules rather than programming ones.

What you guys think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Loads of jobs out there, mostly in Dublin. However, with all these things, experience is required

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

yes, good. but the money is in programming. If you can you should stick with it. a lot of competition for administrator jobs, and not so many jobs as some would have you believe, unless your prepared to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

You are right - focus on what your strengths are, not your weaknesses. I've always found that there was a 10* difference between a good and outstanding developer and 100* between weak and outstanding (all that rework). Whatever you do, don't become a crappy programmer.

Be aware that the market for sys admins will drop dramatically over the next decade as small and medium size organisations move entirely to the cloud and large organisations demand more productivity. Back in the late nineties you were talking about 1 sysadmin to every 4-5 servers (depending on load). Amazon now have a ratio of 1-10,000. I think there will be significant redundancies in this space in the coming years...

Decide on what you want to be in 10 years time. Draw out a map of how you would get there and what you need to accomplish.

Pick a key technology that is on the cusp of being adopted - I picked Citrix and Exchange when they were brand new products just launched to the market.

Personally if I were just getting into the market in Ireland I would head for Salesforce. Incredibly saleable qualification and huge demand.

Advertisement