Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Air Cargo 744 down at Bagram

• 29-04-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭

http://avherald.com/h?article=46183bb4&opt=0

A National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 on behalf of US Mobility Command, registration N949CA performing a cargo flight from Bagram (Afghanistan) to an unknown destination, has crashed shortly after takeoff from Bagram Air Base's runway 03 at 15:30L (11:00Z) and erupted into flames near the end of the runway with the perimeter of the Air Base. All 8 crew are reported perished in the crash.

Afghan Authorities immediately denied claims that the crash of a large civilian cargo aircraft was the result of enemy activities. A large fire erupted after the aircraft impacted ground, it appears all crew have been killed.

Coalition Forces reported a civilian large cargo planed crashed shortly after takeoff, at the time of the accident there was no enemy activity around the aerodrome. Rescue and Recovery efforts are under way, the Air Base is currently locked down and the aerodrome is closed.

National Air Cargo confirmed one of their aircraft with 8 crew crashed at Bagram.

Several observers on the ground reported the National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 had just lifted off and was climbing through approximately 1200 feet when it's nose sharply rose, the aircraft appeared to have stalled and came down erupting in a blaze.

According to a listener on frequency the crew reported the aircraft stalled due to a possible load shift.

National Air Cargo operates three Boeing 747-400s with the registrations N952CA, N919CA and N949CA. N949CA operated into Afghanistan yesterday (Apr 28th).

Metars (of Kabul 22nm south of Bagram, no Metars for OAIX available):
    OAKB 291350Z 18004KT 7000 BKN050 13/04 Q1016 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
    OAKB 291250Z 30007KT 9999 SCT040CB BKN060 15/01 Q1015 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
    OAKB 291150Z 10017G27KT 9999 VCTS SCT090CB BKN120 16/06 Q1013 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
    OAKB 291050Z 11020G30KT 9999 SCT090 OVC120 16/05 Q1012 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
    OAKB 290950Z 10020G30KT 9999 SCT080CB 17/06 Q1012 NOSIG RMK BLU+ BLU+
    OAKB 290850Z 10025G42KT 9999 FEW060CB SCT070 17/05 Q1013 NOSIG RMK BLU+ BLU+
    OAKB 290750Z 11020G30KT 9999 BKN060 17/06 Q1014 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU
    OAKB 290650Z 10017KT 9999 FEW050 BKN060 16/05 Q1015 NOSIG RMK BLU BLU

Smoke plume rising from the crash site (Photo: Albert Ramirez):
    national_air_cargo_b744_bagram_130429_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A lad in the comments section said that his brother was a part of the crew, and that his mother had been informed of her son's death. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

donvito99 wrote: »
    A lad in the comments section said that his brother was a part of the crew, and that his mother had been informed of her son's death. RIP

Saw that... really smacks home when you see something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭N7777G

This is the aircraft involved in the crash - it had been painted at Dublin in September 2010

http://flic.kr/p/8NEmDR

My thoughts are with their families, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Not a single mention of this in the media in this part of the world. Given all the coverage in the past weeks of the 787 return to service with some organisations practically tracking the first flight, I find it odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Someone alluded to a load shift. I can tell you from first hand experience it's horrific to deal with. I was on a 737 200 freighter years ago hauling a spare engine which shifted on rotation. It took full stick forward, followed by the engineers to get the engine back in position.

God love those poor guys that perished today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Jesus, RIP. never nice to hear. the story is being covered on the Journal.ie, thats why i popped on here to see if anyone knew anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

http://www.thejournal.ie/syria-russia-missile-passenger-plane-889888-Apr2013/

This was on The Journal too.

Holy **** I can only imagine what it was like trying pilot around SAMs. Commercial aircraft aren't exactly the most agile. :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

phonypony wrote: »
    Not a single mention of this in the media in this part of the world. Given all the coverage in the past weeks of the 787 return to service with some organisations practically tracking the first flight, I find it odd.
    Sadly it the way the media works.....anything related to Iraq and Afghanistan is seen as old news and not attention grabbing for the media hounds who want sales....

I am acquainted with a couple of guys who have done some flying in that part of the world recently.....RIP to this crew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

cson wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/syria-russia-missile-passenger-plane-889888-Apr2013/

This was on The Journal too.

Holy **** I can only imagine what it was like trying pilot around SAMs. Commercial aircraft aren't exactly the most agile. :eek:

how on earth do you spot a SAM coming at you from a cockpit seat and how do you manage to escape it? Missiles that can reach 10km don't usually miss (x2!!!)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

• Advertisement

Holy christ almighty!

Jesus.... RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

That is absolutely incredible. Not very often you get to see a full stall in a 747. RIP to those onboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Awful. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

That's going to be one of those infamous youtube videos.
    RIP to those poor unfortunates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

shedweller wrote: »
    That's going to be one of those infamous youtube videos.
    RIP to those poor unfortunates.

The worst thing is that there are already people shouting "fake!". It's gonna be the bane of this century, the "fake!" crowd.

The video is actually really, really spooky. Seeing a 744 coming down like a paper airplane in what looks like a wing stall is quite horrific. RIP to the crew :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

RIP to the crew it definatley looks like a weight shift to the aft and then followed by a tip stall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

andy_g wrote: »
    tip stall.
    Is that where it tipped to one side then the other? Thats from the pilot trying to level the plane, right?
    Apart from the obvious vertical velocity being quite high, it did look as though the pilot levelled the plane but unfortunately they ran out of altitude before they could gain any horizontal velocity. Another 1000 feet and they might have survived a very hard crash landing. I emphasise the word "might"
    Apologies for my non aviation terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Holy S**T, thats shocking to watch....hart goes out to them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

shedweller wrote: »
    Is that where it tipped to one side then the other? Thats from the pilot trying to level the plane, right?
    Apart from the obvious vertical velocity being quite high, it did look as though the pilot levelled the plane but unfortunately they ran out of altitude before they could gain any horizontal velocity. Another 1000 feet and they might have survived a very hard crash landing. I emphasise the word "might"
    Apologies for my non aviation terminology.

It's where the tip of the wing stalls before the rest of it. It is more dangerous to stall at the tip due to the fact that it causes the plane to go into a spin as can be seen in the vid.

Wings are actually designed with a twist so that if a stall does occur it happens at the root first rather than the tip, which is much safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Shocking viewing. RIP

• Advertisement

Christ almighty, that was terrifying to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Sweet Baby Jesus, that video is something else... RIP to the crew.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Terrifying video. RIP to those involved. Amazing/shocking seeing something that big stall and fall flat like that.

That's an amazingly unique piece of footage. We've had two crashed caught on camera this year. Technology is amazing, but it makes it all the more tragic in this instance.

That's an amazingly unique piece of footage. We've had two crashed caught on camera this year. Technology is amazing, but it makes it all the more tragic in this instance.

what was the other one?

Remind me what was the first? :confused:

The Russian Tu-204(?) that crashed into a motorway.

oh yeah... good call

if that phrase is applicable in these cases.

Ah, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I watched it and instantly wondered what went through the minds of the crew in that last ten seconds.

Scary stuff.

Advertisement