Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new plans ahead...

• 25-04-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

been a loooong long time since i last posted in here so a little update...

i have qualified as a children's and general nurse, gt myself a job in the beacon, moved outta home and have paid my fees to start a new course in physical therapy in sept (3 more yrs study but will b worth it).. running was going well until about nov/dec and since then its been kinda up and dwn but a few things have come up recently that are kinda forcing me to gt my act together...

i have been selected as one of the 5 triathy athletes, so i have that to look forward to in 5 weeks. i also signed up for the stone mad ultra race, going to do the half on the saturday and the full on the sunday so have that to really make sure i keep the miles up r i will die a painful death. had gt up to half marathon distance runs about 6 weeks ago but id say ive been doing 20-25mile weeks since then so have been very down on where i should be...

will c how things go in the next few weeks ;):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

ok so i did an easy run on wed followed by a 30min cycle, thurs i did a good 9/10miles, just to test where i was at and it didn feel to bad! fri i was in work so did nothing and then sat i volunteered to work a few hrs (duno y now cause i am wrecked) so did a long run in the morn, got over the 10miles, closer to 12 id say, so think il b ok with the half marthon in 12 weeks i entered.. only thing is i entered a full marathon too so have to start building a bit more. the triathy training has gne out the window this week but have my work schedule for next week so can plan properly. might rest today as i have a VERY busy week ahead and want to gt a proper week of training in. working mon tues and wed so these will be the gym/swim/quick cycle days as there is no chance il b able to run. then thurs sat and sun i will HAVE to run. fri i may take off r go for a light cycle or something... lets c how this goes

so i cant remeber what i did the week after that last post but i doubt it was anything worth mentioning.. think i only trained 4 days that week? then last week i was on nights so monday i did nothing, tues gym and swim, wed nothing, thurs 45min on the bike fri nothing, sat an hr run, sun an hr and a half run, mon a brick session (70mins bike, 20mins run) and deciding what to do for the rest of the week now.. bck on nights fri for the weekend so could power through and keep training til then r could hold bck today r tomorrow.. will c :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just seen your new log now roseybear. I'm working just around the corner from the beacon nowadays, if you weren't so bloody fast I'd get you out for a lunchtime run with me!

Just seen your new log now roseybear. I'm working just around the corner from the beacon nowadays, if you weren't so bloody fast I'd get you out for a lunchtime run with me!

No way!! Im actually right this moment looking up routes around the beacon that I could try, not too sure of the area. I dont have a set lunch break time so can be a bit awkward sometimes but that would b something id defo b up for!

So yesterday I did my first triathlon with tryathy and would u believe I won it?! Hahaha :) I loved it, very surprised bout how well I did in the swim and the run. The bike was btr than ive done in the weeks leading up to it and frm talking to ppl dwn there my bike was defo nt the ideal one to use and I could easily knock off 5mins with just a diff bike so il have t look in to that. Next step will be to look into what club to go for, because although I loved it id still need a push to do the next one.. and need practice with open water swimming and not confident doing that alone. A very good day out anyway would defo recommend it :)

• Advertisement

roseybear wrote: »
    No way!! Im actually right this moment looking up routes around the beacon that I could try, not too sure of the area. I dont have a set lunch break time so can be a bit awkward sometimes but that would b something id defo b up for!

I'm hoping to start doing intervals on Tuesdays at lunchtime, theres a small park in Balally that might suit a few intervals...but I'd say drumartin link road would be fine for that too

Well done on the win, any plans for a few sprints?

I'm hoping to start doing intervals on Tuesdays at lunchtime, theres a small park in Balally that might suit a few intervals...but I'd say drumartin link road would be fine for that too

Well done on the win, any plans for a few sprints?

Going to aim for dublin tri in august and maybe the Longford tri? Want to join a club to smarten up my swim and gt used to swimming in open water :)

Join Pulse, we're the best :D

Join Pulse, we're the best :D

Haha christopher lopez has already been poaching me but it's a bit far away? And gta stay loyal to my run club (even though im nt really with them that much) so rules out a few more. Gna try pirhana in the morn

Ok so went dwn yo pirhana to join them foe their run and it was quiet enough but had someone to run and chat with so he filled me in on the craic. Haven made a decision just yet but id say il settle there. Found a nice programme online that il follow In the mean time, although my bf does a lot od training in sports med in town and is going to enquire about endurance state for me, just outta interest. Did a bike, run and a swim yesterday just cause I felt like it, wasn a brick session eeally though. Tonight I am bck on nights :/ and according to the programme im to swim and do a gym session so gna try snooze til 4 and do that before work. Might run immediately after work in the morn, wake me up before I drive hme, but will have t raincheck that

• Advertisement

Ok so ive actually dne nothing since the last post :( but am heading into endurance state on wed to gt a 3 mnth programme. Cant really gt motivated to do anything cause I dnt really know what to do lol. So hopefully I gt on track now

So iv started training away, week one nearly complete. Wasn't too bad as I was only working 2 days this week cause I was on nights at the weekend so will c how next week goes...

monday I did a 1.5hr on the bike which involved some quick bursts along the way but was grand. Tues was spose t b a fartlek and a gym session but I gt a lactate test dne instead! Wed was a 30 min easy jog, thurs a swim session, today was a swim and gym session, tomorroe iv a recovery swim and sunday im on the bike and a 45min run.. have roped a mate in to do the bike with me cause it's a looong one. Anyone suggest any good podcasts for me for future cycles? All good so far, but noticing it gtting darker earlier already :(

Please tell me this gets easier!!!!

Did my first long spin, 4hrs r 50milea...I am in ribbons and I still have t do a run! :O help! ! Thank god this is only once a week

Was training away, no probs until this week. Headed dwn to rosslarw for a few days and developed a throat infection. Came hme and the throat felt fine but I sounded awful and it had spread to my head and my chest :( started antibiotics and am spending my days asleep or running to gt a tissue to stop the tap that is my nose running. Very miserable week :( hopefully will clear up soon, anytime I feel it starting to clear up my stomach starts at me r my head gts worse

Ok so I finished the antibiotics and the dose is still lingering. . Taking things handy as im spose t b on a dwn load week anyways. The coming week im on nights so will b a challenge to gt up and out bt im feeling ip to it! Monday bank holiday I have my first sprint distance tri (my 1st one was a try tri). Looking forward to it but itl defo nt b prty! Just want to gt around it, nt too concerned about the time! Havent swam in at least 2 weeks so heading the pool tomorrow hopefully! Gt caught in a lovely thunder storm today while on the bike so hope that doesn catch up on me and give me a dose!

Didnt gt much dne this week with nights. Also found out im severly intolerant to gluten dairy wheat and eggs.. so huge changes needed as I live off eggs and toasted sambos. Gna do the tri in ballybay tomorrow even though iv dne sweet f*** all recently. Il make it round but wnt b anything too impressive

Just finished muckno sprint tri, my first sprint tri with my 1st open water swim. The bike course there is quite hilly too. Was absolutely terrified doing the swim which resulted in me breast stroking for basically the whole thing which resulted with a pretty poor time of 19mins something. 1.30 in t1 then on the bike, already dying before I even gt to the 1st hill. 49 for the bike... less said about that the better. 26 seconds in t2 then off on the run, 22.10 for that which is pretty alright I think?

So what ive learnt. .. do not skip training especially swim and bike. Gt a new bike, mine is like a tractor in comparison to everyone else. Do some open water swimming.. because I was just too scared to push it. I hated every single second of the swim and bike but loved it at the same time. I wanted to give up sooo many times on those 2 but abso delighted I finished it. I think iv realised y ppl like tris. Not only is it physically tough but mentally u r constantly battling with urself to keep going! U may aswell have an imaginary image of urself on a bike beside u and ur arguing with them the whole time. No btr feeling then finishing though. Roll on the next one

had a big long message written out but lost it so in short... i am very very very sore :/ was far worse yesterday than today but still there. dont think my groin was ready for 750trs breast stroke. felt it when i gt on the bike bt it went away and came bck with a vengence yesterday. did 40mins easy and a very light body weight circuit yesterday and today i did tomorrows run session and will do todays bike session tomorrow. the run session was 10x300with 150recovery and vo2max pace.. lovely..

Managed my 3hrs on the bike.. was putting it off all week bt its dne now! Bck on nights tomorrowso will try my best to train! Groin feeling much btr, still a bit sore bt it shuld b grand

so the groin is fine but my right knee... duno if i twisted it in work, in my sleep or during my circuit but its bloody sore. in work tonight so put a support bandage on it and instantly got relief.. so dunno what im after doing. had said a few mnths bck that i was gna do dublin tri, and its still marked on my calendar but i dont think i can do it. besides the fact its sold out, i really dont think id manage olympic distance after the past few weeks. i wont b gtting off the hook though, tri an mhi is the week after and theres one in naas the end of september, both sprints which i think il do. haven't swam since monday though, chickened out of 2 sessions... so gta man up about that. just find it soooo boring. as we say in nursing, nil other issues at present. i will report bck about wether i train or not mane. ;)

• Advertisement

Omg ive been so bold. Haven't swam since muckno and have tri an mhi next weekend... not a wise move.. im finishing up in my current job tomorrow so have a week t catch up on some swims :/ runs have been fine, biking 50/50. All over the place at the min with gttin sorted for the new job and for the physical therapy course im starting so the nerves are a bit shot. Hoping I can settle this week b4 tri an mhi :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Omg ive been so bold. Haven't swam since muckno and have tri an mhi next weekend... not a wise move.. im finishing up in my current job tomorrow so have a week t catch up on some swims :/ runs have been fine, biking 50/50. All over the place at the min with gttin sorted for the new job and for the physical therapy course im starting so the nerves are a bit shot. Hoping I can settle this week b4 tri an mhi :(

Was in the same position this time last year with new job and the course. Can severely hamper your routine. Main thing is just to get out and do something as a stress relief even. Things do settle down just don't let them get on top of you

ecoli wrote: »
    Was in the same position this time last year with new job and the course. Can severely hamper your routine. Main thing is just to get out and do something as a stress relief even. Things do settle down just don't let them get on top of you

I know I just need someone to physically push me out the door ha!

been a lot of changes over the past mnth and last week appears to be the beginnings of my new routine... lets see how long I last...

so started a new job 2 weeks ago. starts at 7.40 and is a 20min (usually takes 15mins though) casual drive from my door as opposed to a 7am start and a 30min drive (but usually takes longer to get sorted on arrival). I've started getting up at 6am the days im working and either running (plodding really) or doing the turbo trainer for an hr before I head in (after 13hrs on my feet there is no hope of training after). the odd time i would do the turbo after work instead of before but no hope of running after. And i hit the pool after work when possible.

I also started back as a student, part time doing physical therapy. luckily I'm exempt from a couple of modules so I'm free until 12.45 Sunday morns to train (although I may have to do some night shifts the weekends I'm in college :O)

I don't know if anyones read some of my previous posts on other threads or even my old blog but I've suffered from depression and anxiety for a good few yrs now. I was officially diagnosed and began treatment back in 2011 but I'd say it had begun affecting me when I was in secondary school, but it was probably just put down to stress of leaving cert/college/hormones. It's one of the reasons I had to avoid competing in running as when I competed, mentally it really affected me in a negative way, before and after. I was also overdoing it every chance I could, resulting in a stress fracture/severe shin splints... so running as a lone discipline was not healthy for me.. hence the switch to tris... I feel I could gently ease myself back in to it now, but nursing is not a career that is runner friendly...

The reason I mention this is that with all the changes and new situations recently I have had a very bad month. training and diet went to the dogs, the weight crept up and I just felt like crap. The past week I'm still feeling bad and starting to take it out on others but I feel getting back to training is helping. I'm still getting my sessions sent to me via a guy who works with endurance state (who are based in the gym sports med in the city centre) but I feel there's not enough running. I need to run (within reason) especially atm. Bike wise I'm ok-ish, sitting at 25km/hr comfortably on solo spins, but running wise... my mother would do better and she's 52. So I've started not wearing my hr monitor while on runs, unless it's a session.. That's another thing, sept-dec to me means magazine hills, and horrible half mile intervals.. so I'm gna try slip a few of them in...

So I want to train away, I still have to work and I have to study and attend college.... I need a big tub of vitamins plz asap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good to hear the training helping. I think sometimes when we get bogged down its important to focus on the likes of training (even just for the sake of training rather than improving) can be great just to clear the head and take a break from everything getting on top of you.

This was my biggest regret from the last year was not maintaining training as it can affect the mood. Don't be afraid or feel guilty for taking an hour or two each day for yourself trust me long term it will help both with the focus and general mood.

Best of luck and just enjoy yourself (as much as you can around the magazine fort that place is evil with regards training :D)

ecoli wrote: »
    Good to hear the training helping. I think sometimes when we get bogged down its important to focus on the likes of training (even just for the sake of training rather than improving) can be great just to clear the head and take a break from everything getting on top of you.

This was my biggest regret from the last year was not maintaining training as it can affect the mood. Don't be afraid or feel guilty for taking an hour or two each day for yourself trust me long term it will help both with the focus and general mood.

Best of luck and just enjoy yourself (as much as you can around the magazine fort that place is evil with regards training :D)

I looove the magazine.. it is an evil place but runners are glutens for punishment!!

Did an 8miler yesterday and almost passed out. Legs felt extremely heavy prob due to the 50km on the bike sunday, the weekend of college and the 100 hrs I spent in work the past 2 weeks...

got on the turbo this morn for an hr, main set was 6x1min zone 5, 1 min recovery z1power.. r in other words a vo2 session. Was ok.. took time to get the hr up but I got there. Am not due to do anything this eve but might jog after work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I've been dipping in and out of your log RB and think you're performances are an inspiration especially considering you're so busy with work and college.

I think everyone if they're honest gets anxiety and depression at some stages in their life. Sport is a great way to deal with it.

Big Logger wrote: »
    I've been dipping in and out of your log RB and think you're performances are an inspiration especially considering you're so busy with work and college.

I think everyone if they're honest gets anxiety and depression at some stages in their life. Sport is a great way to deal with it.

Thanks! Absolutely they do. I have to be active to keep me sane but also have to keep in mind that im doing it for me, so If I miss a day here or there no one is going to die

• Advertisement

Thanks! Absolutely they do. I have to be active to keep me sane but also have to keep in mind that im doing it for me, so If I miss a day here or there no one is going to die

Judging from what I've read on your log before, you seem to have a real talent as well. Some people do twice your training and don't achieve what you seem to be able to do so a day here and there is definitely not an issue for you!

I've also done the college thing and working fulltime and trying to keep fit both mentally and physically and I know how difficult it can get especially during exam periods. You're doing great for sure.

Judging from what I've read on your log before, you seem to have a real talent as well. Some people do twice your training and don't achieve what you seem to be able to do so a day here and there is definitely not an issue for you!

I've also done the college thing and working fulltime and trying to keep fit both mentally and physically and I know how difficult it can get especially during exam periods. You're doing great for sure.

Thanks :) I still would love to train properly and c what I can really do but nursing is not very athlete friendly!!

Thanks :) I still would love to train properly and c what I can really do but nursing is not very athlete friendly!!

Yeah I'd say so, have you thought about setting up your own practice when you're finished studying so you can train around your own hours?

One of my sisters has done this and she takes her clients on the days and hours that suit her. She does competitive body sculpting so needs to train twice a day. Its worked out well for her energy wise etc. Something to think about...

Yeah I'd say so, have you thought about setting up your own practice when you're finished studying so you can train around your own hours?

One of my sisters has done this and she takes her clients on the days and hours that suit her. She does competitive body sculpting so needs to train twice a day. Its worked out well for her energy wise etc. Something to think about...

that would b the plan but depends on how much I could bring in per mnth! The other option is after a yr of physical therapy try and get in to ucd to do the masters in physio they have now... would be full time but would be done in 2 yrs.. and physio hrs are nicer than nurses

that would b the plan but depends on how much I could bring in per mnth! The other option is after a yr of physical therapy try and get in to ucd to do the masters in physio they have now... would be full time but would be done in 2 yrs.. and physio hrs are nicer than nurses

That's the thing about the money, its a balancing act between making more money or having free time to yourself, its a bummer.

Would having a master make that big a difference in Physio?
    I've no idea, I just know in my world which is IT, it only comes into play when you want to go into senior management. Other than that, its rarely a requirement and is never asked for in job specs.

That's the thing about the money, its a balancing act between making more money or having free time to yourself, its a bummer.

Would having a master make that big a difference in Physio?
    I've no idea, I just know in my world which is IT, it only comes into play when you want to go into senior management. Other than that, its rarely a requirement and is never asked for in job specs.

Masters makes no diff bt its the only post grad in physio available atm! I culd stick with the physical therapy and set up shop with that but not sure how successful that would be, physio might give more options

• Advertisement

Doing 2 shorter days in work today and tomorrow so got up and studied a bit then trained now just gtting ready for work. Session was 4x5mins zone 3, 3.5mins recovery inbetween (running not bike). Ignored zones Nd went by miles/hr. Haven't uploaded it to training peaks yet but seemed to all b sub 7.30 besides warm up and cool down. Just over 7miles I total. Was nice enough session, any longer than 5mins though and think it would have been too long

REST DAY!!!! So glad I did my session yesterday, the rain this morn was not appealing

Did my gym session yesterday as planned, very very light but am feeling it today!! Also took advantage of not being in work and went for a run, still ignoring my zones on runs cause they are just too slow but felt good and steady pace. Today was for 2hr spin. Didn't look at the hr monitor cause just wanted to get it over and done with. Tomorrow am in work but might get a little jog done, preferably before work but might be after... depends how I feel when the alarm goes off at 6am

Easy half an hr dne b4 work this morn just to shake off the cobwebs. Didn go in to the park, don't mind running there early during the week but at weekends its just too quiet, I wouldn feel that safe.. especially because of that assault last week

After a day of gorging on crap iv decided that im going to try something out. My bf is boxing in the leinsters (novice) and has to make weight... so im going to make weight too.. for the next week-2weeks im going to live off chicken and rice/gluten free pasta. .. might vary it here and there but that's what he dines on for 4 days b4 d-day.. I have a lot more to spare than him (hes 6ft 6 and weighs 83.5kg, trying to make 81 on the day) so feel that I can afford to stretch it a bit longer. . Il make up a load of lunch boxes of stuff so I can just pull 1 out, no room 4 temptation.. 1st 2 days will be the worst cause im on nights monday night!! Let's see what happens, will weigh in b4 tomorrow (abso dreading that after this weekend.) Training upped an hr r 2 for the week ahead also and have LOOOAAADDDS of study to do.. 1 week left and then I get a week off work

• Advertisement

After a day of gorging on crap iv decided that im going to try something out. My bf is boxing in the leinsters (novice) and has to make weight... so im going to make weight too.. for the next week-2weeks im going to live off chicken and rice/gluten free pasta. .. might vary it here and there but that's what he dines on for 4 days b4 d-day.. I have a lot more to spare than him (hes 6ft 6 and weighs 83.5kg, trying to make 81 on the day) so feel that I can afford to stretch it a bit longer. . Il make up a load of lunch boxes of stuff so I can just pull 1 out, no room 4 temptation.. 1st 2 days will be the worst cause im on nights monday night!! Let's see what happens, will weigh in b4 tomorrow (abso dreading that after this weekend.) Training upped an hr r 2 for the week ahead also and have LOOOAAADDDS of study to do.. 1 week left and then I get a week off work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2435045/Brazilian-MMA-fighter-dies-minutes-weigh-trying-cut-pounds.html
    p.s. your bf sounds like a hunk :D

Luckily I don't plan on dropping 20lbs!! And yes, yes he is ;)

Easy 40mins b4 my night shift.. gtting much more comfortable running sub 8min/mile. Reckon I could do a 45min 10k atm without too much torture. Got a call up from the running club bout dublin seniors (I think.. could be nationals but think its dublin) 5th nov... im not in college but work may be an issue.. will pencil it in. Was spose to meet with my study group at 6 tomorrow night but a few are meeting at 11am.. if I could manage to stay awake after my night shift til then I could go training with the club at 7pm, see where I stand. . Will see how I get on tonight and how I feel in the morn coming home

So went training with the club tonight... 5x800s with 2mins btween. Took a few runs b4 the legs woke up but managed to catch everyone bar a couple of the lads by the last rep. Last 1 was the quickest but averaged 2.57 I think :/ not sure hw to work out how to do intervals with the garmin but will get there. Was happy with how it went seeing as ive only had 4 hrs sleep since 3pm yesterday. Did a good cool down just to get up the miles and so doms dont kick in tomorrow :)

So went training with the club tonight... 5x800s with 2mins btween. Took a few runs b4 the legs woke up but managed to catch everyone bar a couple of the lads by the last rep. Last 1 was the quickest but averaged 2.57 I think :/ not sure hw to work out how to do intervals with the garmin but will get there. Was happy with how it went seeing as ive only had 4 hrs sleep since 3pm yesterday. Did a good cool down just to get up the miles and so doms dont kick in tomorrow :)

Early morning weights... jogged Round the block as if to start a run but somehow managed back home....so had to do something, was meant to do a circuit yesterday but did the session last night instead. So might as well get it over with b4 work

on the bike today for a turbo session. was grand, all aet stuff with sets of 6 second bursts. might go for a little jog later, going to be stuck studying for the day now and looks too nice out to pass up on the oppertunity to run

Fri was rest day. Saturday was in college and was feeling crap so took another day. Sunday I was spose to cycle but I had a puncture!! So did a run instead. This morn I woke up with a red sore swollen throat :( knew it was coming

Fri was rest day. Saturday was in college and was feeling crap so took another day. Sunday I was spose to cycle but I had a puncture!! So did a run instead. This morn I woke up with a red sore swollen throat :( knew it was coming

went to run the virus/bug outa me... felt better after.. not so much now.. 9miles in 70mins though, happy am getting back to the pace i was at before even with this hanging over me

• Advertisement
Advertisement