Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-04-2013, 15:41   #1
Poodle Zombie

Can you get a tattoo to cover scars?

Is it possible to cover scars with a tattoo? Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Any comments appreciated.
Advertisement
17-04-2013, 15:49   #2
Orim

Yes.

This one I saw recently, as an example of what can be done :

Obviously depending on the scar there may be restrictions on what can be done but have a think about what you want and then have a chat with some artists.
17-04-2013, 15:54   #3
Poodle Zombie

That's great thanks! I thought that the ink would bleed on the scar tissue. My scar is not as tight as the one in the picture but hopefully I can get it to look that good!
17-04-2013, 17:42   #4
Esoteric_
Closed Account

I have been tattooed over some fairly wide scars on my arm, no bother at all, no bleeding. Discuss it with the artist first, as you'll need somebody competent in tattooing over scars, but you should be grand.
17-04-2013, 18:22   #5
Please Kill Me
Closed Account

I have a scar about 8 inches long on my forearm from a knife attack years ago and was recently tattooed there. Didn't feel it and it can't even be seen now. I suppose it depends on the scar too. But in general, I reckon you'll be alright.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-04-2013, 19:55   #6
baron von something

it wud also depend on the age of the scar.i wanted some scarring covered and was told by a tattooist that they were too 'fresh' to be tattooed over even tho at the time they were 2years old.he said something about scar tissue still changing for a few years afterwards.i didnt listen to him i really wanted them covered so i went to another place round the corner and got the job done no bother but u can still see them if u look hard enough
Thanks from:
18-04-2013, 03:34   #7
dodderangler

Have one on my left bicep from bike accident long ago and got tattoo over part of it
Actually couldnt feel the needle on it
Tattooist will tell you anyway as heard some bleed out a lot
18-04-2013, 23:16   #8
Cupcake_Crisis

I made enquiries about this myself as ive scars in my forarm id like covered. You'll never hide a scar completely, there'll obviously be a difference in the texture of the tattoo over the scars, but any competent artist will do a bloody good job of disguising them. Also the older and more faded the scar the better the end result will be.
19-04-2013, 11:05   #9
Borboletinha

Yes you can cover scars and stretch marks with a tattoo. I had a huge scar hip bone to hip bone (I still have it but it feels like its gone the tattoo covers it so well! ) I'm so happy with the result Im actually planning my second tattoo to cover other stretch marks. If you are self conscious about your scar and like tattoos its the way to go.

Last edited by Borboletinha; 19-04-2013 at 11:08.
Advertisement
23-04-2013, 12:36   #10
aido764

what would be the best colour to get when covering a scar
Thanks from:
23-04-2013, 12:46   #11
Esoteric_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aido764 View Post
what would be the best colour to get when covering a scar
Well, the scar is never going to be completely invisible under the tattoo, whatever colour you use. The tattoo I have covering some scars on my arm is black, white, purple and blue and all cover the scars equally, except the white. It's a little more visible through the white.
Thanks from:
25-04-2013, 16:53   #12
googled eyes

Just chipping in. Recently got scar covered. You're better to use detailed work than a block of ink to cover a scar.
If it has a nice bit of detail and line work it will hide the scar easier

Last edited by googled eyes; 26-04-2013 at 08:58. Reason: My spelling is terrible
(4) thanks from:
25-04-2013, 18:20   #13
ZombieBride
Closed Account

I had extensive scaring on one of my arms and got it covered with no issue, they were old enough scars though.
23-05-2013, 16:42   #14
guydead67

Hey Googled Eyes, where did you get the tattoo done? Did you need it touched up after? Was the tattooist experienced with scars?
23-05-2013, 20:24   #15
raze_them_all_

recent piece done by robert litcan in Dark Raptor, scars can be covered over really well that in just passing you wouldn't notice but examining them you would.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion